Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 12:55 AM

343 posts, read 938,387 times

Advertisements

I live in Fall Creek. My drive to downtown is a little over 20 minutes to the building I work at. IAH is about 15 minutes from Fall Creek. Eagle Springs and Summerwood are nice also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 06:52 AM

2,276 posts, read 4,013,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
I live in Fall Creek. My drive to downtown is a little over 20 minutes to the building I work at. IAH is about 15 minutes from Fall Creek. Eagle Springs and Summerwood are nice also.
She may decide for Kingwood or The Woodlands and that would be fine - but definitely check out Eagle Springs or Fall Creek before deciding. The commute to IAH would be a "breeze" and these are very very nice communities. Would also help w/ the downtown commute.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:34 AM

6 posts, read 12,940 times
We live in Fall Creek and absolutely love it. We feel safe here and have 2 young children. Love the convenience to the airport as I travel for work and my husband commutes downtown and his commute is nothing compared to when we lived in Katy. Our children also attend the elementary school here in the neighborhood and we have no complaints.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:33 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,111,665 times
I also suggest Summerwood and Fall Creek - convenient to Downtown and IAH - and the closest you'll probably get to you, based to their work locations. Both are nice neighborhoods.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:08 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,770,063 times
I've only done online research but these north Houston neighborhoods look so pretty, I'm starting to feel envious of people who live there! The trees are gorgeous.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:41 PM

832 posts, read 3,841,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
A friend of mine accepted a job at Bush Intercontinental Airport and she wants to know which areas are nice and within a good commute to IAH. She has children so she is also interested in the best schools.

I live in Sugar Land and she liked it here when she visited me. She asked me if there are master planned communities near IAH that are similar to where I live (New Territory), and since I never go north of Houston, I don't have any advice to give her.

What suggestions can I make as a start for her house hunting? I don't know her budget but I'd guess around $200-300K.

Thanks!
As far as neighborhoods, Kingwood is first choice in my book. For shopping, its the
Woodlands. Eagle Springs is closest to Downtown.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:13 AM

187 posts, read 711,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
The Woodlands would be my choice. I'll see if I can get a friend/c-d'r to respond to you as they have a similar scenario with one working at IAH and the other looking at jobs in the downtown area. They live in TW.
I'm here!

You've already gotten some great suggestions. When we moved here, we leased in TW but also looked at Kingwood, Oakhurst, Fall Creek, Eagle Springs, Champions Forest, Spring Trails and Benders Landing. Each has its appeal and drawbacks, naturally, and we ruled out a couple of the communities accordingly. We really felt strongly about having mature trees, so in the end it came down to Kingwood vs. The Woodlands. We both liked how close Kingwood is to IAH, its relative accessibility to downtown, the trees, and the established neighborhoods. For the first year we leased in TW we loved the shopping options, the overall flow of the area, and the amenities in general. DH was, however, frustrated with the commute to IAH from the "back" of TW and I was put off job opportunities for the commute to the other side of downtown...which is why we kept looking outside TW. But, we'd made friends and were starting to feel settled in TW so when DH's family moved here from out of state, they moved to TW to be near us, making it all the more difficult to seriously consider moving all the way to Kingwood. It really wasn't a tough choice...we bought a home in TW, but did so in the middle, effectively shaving 15-20 min off DH's commute. Now he's thrilled with his commute....can make it to his office in 25-30 min during off-peak times, and about 35 during his normal commute. Last week, he reported making it to the convention center downtown in 35 minutes during the morning commute (likely via hardy toll road).

So, The Woodlands is where we are, if only by default, but we're happy here, even more so with a more central location. But...had we first started leasing in Kingwood, I'm sure we could have been just as happy there. As to the other communities suggested, they are each lovely as well, but just didn't have the right vibe for us at the time. And to that point, I'd say it's key for your friend to identify pockets of the metro area that would work for her and her family, and then visit the communities within to find which "fits" for them. Good luck to her!

Old 12-26-2010, 04:40 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,416,736 times
Sping/Klein, particularly the Champions area is a great "bang for your buck" area and is a short commute from IAH.

I'd try 77379.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
The drive time from Oakhurst (from my driveway) to terminal C is 10 minutes.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,248,283 times
Straight shot from Eagle Springs right to IAH. All the hoods mentioned are great each for their own reasons and each having a differ feel. If hubby is working downtown I would say no to The Woodlands. Too far of a commute. Lovely area though. Kingwood is nice as well but further from IAH than say Summerwood, Fall Creek, and Eagle Springs. Kingwood is NOT a Master Planned community. It is a community per say but more like it's own small town. Not my definition of a master planned community where there are small pocket sections that are all connected and under one HOA sharing the same amenities. Home Values hold their weight there in most areas.
Summerwood and Fall Creek are too close to the Beltway but others think that is a plus. Both have very nice homes. Will Clayton runs straight thru Eagle Springs and we love that we can just hop on it to go pick up guests! We have two Elementary School of which both rock! The newest one just opened this past fall. Very family oriented and she can certainly find some wonderful homes in her price range here. Tell her to look and read thru all the threads on here for more insight on the hoods mentioned. Opinions vary greatly and so again I say she needs to visit each and see what feels like home for her and her family. For us we just knew Eagle Springs was "IT" for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston