Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,573,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I didn't even know that Galveston participated in Mardi Gras. I bet that's awesome.
Where have you been under a rock it is the second biggest Mardi Gras in the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 AM

543 posts, read 1,387,025 times
We went around the Strand and I loved it. I just can't believe that we have this within 1/2 hr drive.
My husband grew up in a beach town so this reminded him of his home town and he absolutely loved it.

Thanks for answering my questions. I looked at the pictures in the link and Yes, that is what we saw. I was curious but I'm glad that I didn't touch it.

Now - what is Mardi Gras? Is it a wild beach party that you see on TV or a local community event? I have two young kids so I'm going to stay away from any wild crowd.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:40 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
I didn't even know that Galveston participated in Mardi Gras. I bet that's awesome.
Yes. It is, and its something Atlanta has no answer to. Houston is a coastal city, you get a coast out of Houston. You don't get an ocean or anything in Atlanta.

I like Coastal Cities more than landlocked cities (All pictures are in the Houston Metropolitan Area):

Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Those are NICE pictures! Atlanta shole don't have an answer to that! Houston/Galveston is the Miami west of the Mississippi! LOL!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Where have you been under a rock it is the second biggest Mardi Gras in the country
I didn't know that! Do you have any pictures of it?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Those are NICE pictures! Atlanta shole don't have an answer to that! Houston/Galveston is the Miami west of the Mississippi! LOL!
Kind of, its more like a blend of Miami & New Orleans. Galveston has way more beach culture and beach activities than New Orleans, and has beaches like Miami does, except not as blue water with similar climates year round and palm trees. But Galveston's architecture and sites look more like New Orleans. The Strand always reminds me of a smaller version of The French Quarters.

The Houston Metropolitan Area (Houston/Galveston): (I included some pictures of Mardi Gras so you can see what it's like)

The Strand/The Beach (Galveston's Tourist Spots) on Mardi Gras

Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM

Nice pictures! And people say Houston is boring! I can't tell!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Nice pictures! And people say Houston is boring! I can't tell!
You'll love Houston A&M, its got a little bit of anything you can think of for everyone. Besides a professional hockey team, lol. Oh and a better mass transit system, Houston really needs to get better transit haha.

I showed you pictures of the coastal areas. Get ready to see pictures of the rest of the Houston Metropolitan Area. And also get ready to learn some new things about other beaches in the Houston Metropolitan Area other than Galveston.

The Houston Metropolitan Area:
This is Surf Side Beach at 5 AM, said to be one of the most photogenic places early in the morning in Texas (It's in the Houston Metropolitan Area- Brazoria County):

^ Surf Side Beach is roughly about 4 Miles total in length and is said to be one of the clearest spots for water on the Texas Coast north of South Padre. It's a beach for those who want to get away from the Galveston Waters.

This is a small Island that is in the Houston Metropolitan Area, its called Quintana. It was a previously a historic site for merchants and villagers that needed a place to fish and trade, its located in Brazoria County (Houston Metropolitan Area):

^ Quintana has better water conditions than Galveston also, its clearer but not as clear as Surf Side Beach.

This is Freeport Beach, also located in Brazoria County of the Houston Metropolitan Area:

^^ Freeport Beach is actually decent, its a great getaway for those wanting to avoid Galveston's crowd and enjoy a peaceful environment.

The Bolivar Pensinsula, which has miles and miles of beaches, its in Galveston County but is not apart of Galveston Island:

^^ It doesn't get as much attention as Galveston but its a great alternative.

More of the areas in the Houston Metropolitan Area:

Honestly there are things for nearly everyone in Houston's Metro.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Nice pictures once again! Where is the 4th picture (houses/golf course) under the bridge picture located?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Nice pictures once again! Where is the 4th picture (houses/golf course) under the bridge picture located?
Pearland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston