Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 PM

109 posts, read 158,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkamba View Post
Hi,

We are from South India and we will be moving to Houston shortly, my work location is 3 greenway plaza, Houston, TX(near Galleria Mall). What is the best place to live close by. We are looking for best Kindergarten school and safe place. If we live in Sugarland will that be a bad idea?

Thanks for your help.
Sugar land is a great place to live! There are plenty of people who live in sugar land and commute into houston. Look for homes zoned to the following schools: commonwealth, colony meadows, settlers way, Austin parkway, walker station, Rita drabek, sienna. All of the homes zoned to these schools are located in safe neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 12:23 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkamba View Post
Hi,

We are from South India and we will be moving to Houston shortly, my work location is 3 greenway plaza, Houston, TX(near Galleria Mall). What is the best place to live close by. We are looking for best Kindergarten school and safe place. If we live in Sugarland will that be a bad idea?

Thanks for your help.
Woodway square apartments on Woodway drive/SanFelipe at Voss has Indians. The area on Voss Road between San Felipe and Westheimer road has a lot of Indians. Park at Voss apartments is a low priced dump. You also have buses to Galleria from there nearby. Sugar land is far from Galleria.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:56 AM

28 posts, read 65,825 times
Sugar Land is great. Look into Lake Olympia. IIRC they are building some new homes where Lake Olympia parkway meets the Ft. Bend county toll road. Really nice neighborhood.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:55 PM

28 posts, read 67,539 times
Below is one of my responses to another Indian family who is moving to Houston from Seattle. Please read below:

"I would highly recommend the Southwest side of Houston, in the city of Sugar Land. It is a white collar neighborhood, with a median household income close to $115,000. The most unique part about this city is it has about 35% Asian American, predominately South Asians. You'll find ladies wearing sari daily on the streets. The closest hospitals are Methodist in Sugar Land and Memorial Hermann. The phyicians/nurses there probably are close to 50% Indians, many speak Hindi and Gujarati. That would be helpful especially should your wife needs medical care for your family, in case you're not around. There are plentiful of Indian grocery stores in the area, and many more 10 miles up 59 North, on 59 and Hillcroft. It is the India town of Houston. Raja Sweets is one of my favorites, you can get fresh Paneer at Patel Brothers.

Sugar Land a master-planned community, and the school district is wonderful. If you plan on staying in the area for a while until your child attends highschool there, I recommend to buy a property that is zoned to Clements High School. It is a Magnet HS, which currently has about 50% Asian American students and they perform exceptionally. However, the downside is as you may know, with high percentage of Asian American students, it can be extremey competitive and it takes additional effort to graduate in the top 10% of the class. You will also find many tutoring places in Sugar Land as well. I used to work in the Sugar Land area so know it pretty well. Clements High School - rating and statistics - SUGAR LAND 77479 HAR.com. I'm Chinese so I'm very very familiar with those tutoring places, unfortunately!

www.har.com is also the best website in terms of searching for real estate in the Houston area. $350K should get you a decent house, especially compared to what you can get in Seattle. I used to live in Issaquah, now downtown Houston.

What you need to really compare is the property tax in the master-planned communities. Many have taxes that are 3.5%+, the value is re-appraised annually and it has gone up 10-20% in the past few years due to the huge influx of of people into the area. Make sure to claim homestead exemption, since the first 20% of your property appraised value is tax free, and the maximum the city can implement tax increase is 10% annually, despite 20% increase in market value. This only applies when you take ownership of the property starting Jan 1 of that calendar year, and the deadline is April 30th to file for that year.
HCAD: Property Tax Exemptions for Homeowners

Hope this helps!"

Old 10-07-2014, 09:06 PM

28 posts, read 67,539 times
vkamba, I would not recommend living in Sugar Land and commute to Greenway Plaza. Although it's roughly 20 miles but it'll take you at least an hour commute each direction. Unless you go into work at 5 AM and leave at 2:30 PM. I recommend to rent (if that's your intention) around West University (77005), South Hampton (77030), which is by the Texas Medical Center, or Upper Kirby (by Greenway Plaza, 77098 and 77019). You'll probably look at $2,000/month for 2 bedrooms. However, your commute will be 10-15 minutes. These are all affluent neighborhood, with diverse background (lots of old money, mixed with young money - primary physicians, and many are Indians) in the area. There are plenty of parks around as well. There are many chartered schools in the area, and the first Chinese language emersion school in TX Mandarin Chinese Immersion School / Homepage if you're interested in bi-lingual education for your child. It is a Houston ISD on a lottery system.

I personally do not like the Galleria area since traffic is always congested there. Who shops everyday at the mall?

Old 02-03-2016, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 12,543 times
@Texas User: how can I find the Sindhi community or a few Sindhi people please?

@phaze: other than cricket, what are some other ways I may be able to get to know the desi community in tomball?

Last edited by Chimerical8; 02-03-2016 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Misspelled name

Old 10-07-2016, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 12,134 times
Default Moving from Stamford, CT to Houston, TX

Hello,

I am moving with my family from Stamford, CT to Houston, TX. My work location is going to be North Sam Houston Pkwy East. Can someone please suggest a safe and Indian community with good Elementary schools to live? I will be renting apartment/condo for now. I understand Sugar Land, Missouri City and Pearland are too far to live from my work location. Please suggest asap as we'll be moving by Oct 15th.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Vaibhav

Old 10-07-2016, 08:21 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaibhav B View Post
Hello,

I am moving with my family from Stamford, CT to Houston, TX. My work location is going to be North Sam Houston Pkwy East. Can someone please suggest a safe and Indian community with good Elementary schools to live? I will be renting apartment/condo for now. I understand Sugar Land, Missouri City and Pearland are too far to live from my work location. Please suggest asap as we'll be moving by Oct 15th.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Vaibhav
Please give rental budget per month and how many bedrooms/bathrooms needed.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 12,909 times
You are correct that Missouri City and Sugar Land has a very large Indian community. The commute to Peaand from this area isn't bad at all either.

-Shaun Vembutty

Old 07-20-2017, 10:52 AM

234 posts, read 681,431 times
why do us indians want to live near fellow indians? diversify... US has a lot of nationalities to offer

just kidding, welcome to Houston... its a great melting pot... (in summer, it literally is!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston