Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 PM

23 posts, read 86,403 times

Advertisements

I'm getting fed up with driving back and forth to the ups\fedex distribution center to pickup missed packages. I live in an apartment and therefore packages cannot be left. Furthermore, most packages now a days require a signature of some sort.

I'm thinking of getting a ups store mailbox for ~$130 a year. It may be 'a lot', but it sure saves the hassle of spending x hours a month of driving and waiting at the counter.

Any opinions or other options other than a ups store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,039 times
Make arrangements to have your package left at your leasing office if they accept packages. If the office doesaccept packages, a delivery notice will be left on your door to notify you that your package has been delivery. Also, you can make arrangements to have your package indirected, or shipped to, an alternate address. Such as, if applicable,: your job, a family member's home, a friend's house. This is what I do for a living. I have been doing it for 16 years now. All you have to do is make some sort of arrangements if you are not going to be home to receive the package. It may be a mild inconvenience, but it is not that difficult.

Last edited by AmberAzeneth; 01-10-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Also, not to sound sarcastic, but if you know that you have ordered a package and are expecting it on a certain date, you could also make arrangements to stay home and receive your package. That way you know that once you have signed for it, everything is okay. Always track your packages online. This will give you an arrival date of your package so that you can make any arrangements necessary that you need to make to receive your package.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:30 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times
We lived in an apartment for years. We always had the package go to the front office (usually left a sign on the door saying this). We also gave the office manager signing rights to receive packages.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,020 times
I haven't had any experience on these mailboxes myself but I have a suggestion - see if your management office at your building will accept the packages for you. My sister lives in an apartment in Memorial City and they often do that - they leave the sticky note at her door and drop off the package with the management office. When I lived in Seattle they did that at my apt as well - just left the sticky note on my USPS mailbox don't even bother to come up to my door.

If that's not an option, then if you buy online a lot and receive packages frequently I think it may not be a bad idea to invest in that mailbox. You will probably save driving time and gas money picking these up.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Also, not to sound sarcastic, but if you know that you have ordered a package and are expecting it on a certain date, you could also make arrangements to stay home and receive your package. That way you know that once you have signed for it, everything is okay. Always track your packages online. This will give you an arrival date of your package so that you can make any arrangements necessary that you need to make to receive your package.
I would try choosing this option last. You can easily miss the delivery person... if you're lucky that they will come to your door and actually ring the doorbell or knock.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
I would try choosing this option last. You can easily miss the delivery person... if you're lucky that they will come to your door and actually ring the doorbell or knock.

I can only speak from my experiences, I am in my 16th year of employment with one of the companies you are posting about(I have worked for both), I knock on every apartment door I have a package for. It is the policy unless the apartment complex only wants the deliveries to be made at the office. That said if you are expecting and a package, and you know when you are, either be at home or make the proper necessary arrangements to have your packaged indirected/shipped to a viable alternate address. Only rent a PMB if you receive many/alot of packages during the course of the year to make it worth the money of the rental. What I mean by many/alot of packages is, if you are an e-bay, Amazon.com, or online shopping fanatic and receive in upwards of 2 or more packages a week, then rent the PMB. If you only get like 10 packages a year, make arrangements to have the packages received and save the money on the rental. But you could solve all that by just staying home to receive your package, many people do. They live in apartments too.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:49 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,664 times
My apartment leasing office does not accept packages. They haven't for at least ten years. I have a mailbox at one of these Mailbox etc. stores. I used to resent the extra cost, but I am used to it now.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
The delievey people always left my packages at the office. heck sometimes they didn't even bother to come look for my apartment, they would just go to the office, get their signature, leave the package, and the management would leave me a note saying they are holding my package

Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM

125 posts, read 312,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eainfo View Post
I'm getting fed up with driving back and forth to the ups\fedex distribution center to pickup missed packages. I live in an apartment and therefore packages cannot be left. Furthermore, most packages now a days require a signature of some sort.

I'm thinking of getting a ups store mailbox for ~$130 a year. It may be 'a lot', but it sure saves the hassle of spending x hours a month of driving and waiting at the counter.

Any opinions or other options other than a ups store?
The UPS Store is a good option. Makes your logistics easier for packages, and if you move within your area, new apartment or buy a place nearby, you do not have to change your mailing address. I have used them for years in several states. Mine also emails me when a package arrives for me and holds mail when I travel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: