Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 05:42 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times

Advertisements

I am looking over in that area actually and I'm also currently looking at the Heights, Braeswood (I guess that is an area with several subdivisions in it), Eastwood and Idylwood. My preference (at this time ) is Eastwood, then Idylwood because they are so close to where my husband works. 5 miles from Eastwood and 4 miles from Idylwood. I also have a soft spot in my heart for neighborhoods that are trying to turn around with lots of homes being renovated. Not to mention, I love the old homes. Plus, the homes are more affordable. Plus, it sounds like Eastwood has the closest knit community of all the areas I'm looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 06:09 PM

71 posts, read 190,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I am looking over in that area actually and I'm also currently looking at the Heights, Braeswood (I guess that is an area with several subdivisions in it), Eastwood and Idylwood. My preference (at this time ) is Eastwood, then Idylwood because they are so close to where my husband works. 5 miles from Eastwood and 4 miles from Idylwood. I also have a soft spot in my heart for neighborhoods that are trying to turn around with lots of homes being renovated. Not to mention, I love the old homes. Plus, the homes are more affordable. Plus, it sounds like Eastwood has the closest knit community of all the areas I'm looking at.
No doubt about it, Eastwood is a great area with an awesome future. However I don't see it turning into a family oriented area like the Heights, because of the metro line that will link it straight to downtown and EADO, it'll probably become one of those urban hip artist colonies for those priced out of Montrose. If that's what you are looking for, then more power to ya.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesouthwest View Post
No doubt about it, Eastwood is a great area with an awesome future. However I don't see it turning into a family oriented area like the Heights, because of the metro line that will link it straight to downtown and EADO, it'll probably become one of those urban hip artist colonies for those priced out of Montrose. If that's what you are looking for, then more power to ya.
There is a actually an Eastwood mother's group in there already.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:06 PM

111 posts, read 392,445 times
I've also started to look into this area a lot as it seems like a great place to get an older home. My wife and I are moving back from NYC in a couple of months and have been focused on the Heights until I read a few articles on here about Eastwood.

How active are the railroad tracks that run through the area? I would say that is one of my biggest concerns right now. Also, it would be great if there was more retail, etc. but it really isn't much more than a 10 to 15 minute drive to some terrific places inside the loop.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:39 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
I've also started to look into this area a lot as it seems like a great place to get an older home. My wife and I are moving back from NYC in a couple of months and have been focused on the Heights until I read a few articles on here about Eastwood.

How active are the railroad tracks that run through the area? I would say that is one of my biggest concerns right now. Also, it would be great if there was more retail, etc. but it really isn't much more than a 10 to 15 minute drive to some terrific places inside the loop.
The tracks are fairly active. But I think that as long as you aren't terribly close to the actual intersections, you should be ok. The real problem I think is not the noise, but blocking the streets. There are plenty of ways around it, so no real biggie.

I just looked up some past sales and since August there were 3 sales in the neighborhood. Ranging from $170k-$255k. It's hard to find anything worth remodeling for less than $150k right now.

Once Dynamo stadium is done and also the park they have planned, it will really help out all of EaDo and Eastwood. Plus the MetroRail and then future development from the stadium, it should help bring in better retail even if the economy doesn't get much better. There's plenty of retail and entertainment developers that want to build, but they just aren't willing to take big risks anymore. Once a few of the big projects wrap up, it's almost likely to be a sure hit. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:55 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
There is a actually an Eastwood mother's group in there already.
Thankfully they let dads in every once-in-a-while

Old 09-15-2011, 12:59 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
The tracks are fairly active. But I think that as long as you aren't terribly close to the actual intersections, you should be ok. The real problem I think is not the noise, but blocking the streets. There are plenty of ways around it, so no real biggie.
I agree that this is probably my biggest gripe (other than the lack of retail)...the trains. Depending on the time of day, the trains at Cullen can be fast or very slow-moving. There is a back way to Polk, which goes under the tracks, and most people go that way (to the chagrin of that neighborhood's residents, I'm sure). Lockwood goes under the tracks as well, so coming from south Houston, the train is never an issue (nor is coming from downtown, since you can take Polk).

The noise isn't bad most of the time, and we are relatively close to the Cullen/Leeland tracks. Sometimes the train horns go on forever, more of an irritant, but like city noise, your mind filters it out as background noise pretty quickly.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM

40 posts, read 83,082 times
I believe the Civic Association has also applied for a Quite Zone, though I have heard it is a slow process to get approved. So eventually at least the train horns won't be an issue.

For those who want to have more direct interaction with Eastwood residents I recommend checking out the facebook group, they are always posting about various happenings around the neighborhood:

Eastwood Civic Association | Facebook

Old 09-15-2011, 01:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowndes View Post

The distance from Eastwood to downtown, midtown, the restaurant choices on lower westheimer and even Washington Avenue, is really very, very minimal.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
It would be nice if there were more bike trails into the other "hot" spots of Houston. Does anyone know if there are plans (plans as in more than just "talk") to put some bike paths in that would lead to popular areas of Houston?

The light rail everyone talks about, is that something that is already being built? Or is it still in the planning stage?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston