Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
king, ghandi, mother theresa were all not the best people in the world, but they all did amazing things. what have you done lately and would you like to compare your accomplishments to these people?

king had more influence in the us than ghandi. so no ghandi was not just like king
I would put Obama in this list too.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:13 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
king, ghandi, mother theresa were all not the best people in the world, but they all did amazing things. what have you done lately and would you like to compare your accomplishments to these people?

king had more influence in the us than ghandi. so no ghandi was not just like king
Nah, I am not Catholic but I still think Mother Theresa was pretty darn good!

King, although definately not a perfect man, accomplished great things and the majority of Americans have him to thank for having it better. He also stood up for the working man. His I Have A Dream speech is only one of his greats.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
well the scandal with mother theresa (or however you spell it i cant remember) are the claims of misusing millions of dollars, her own personal spending habits, her tirades against abortion in the most over populated and impoverished countries in the world (but its a catholic thing) and the safety, openness, quality, and care provided in her clinics. her clinics are described by some as "concentration camps."

every body in the world has some scandals but discrediting everything someone like MLK did because he had affairs and the like? come on. he is squeaky clean by the average standard

Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 PM

249 posts, read 561,597 times
Quote:
I would certainly not compare my accomplishments to anyone, but here is a list of things I haven't done:

-slept with hookers
-beat up said hookers
-plagiarized my doctoral dissertation
-plagiarized my most famous speeches

So, you know, just saying.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:25 PM

249 posts, read 561,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
His I Have A Dream speech is only one of his greats.
"His" I Have a Dream speech. Google it.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:28 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
dude

he by far has done more good than bad. it is just popular to hate on MLK and excuse others who have done the same or worse. why is that?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstaffor View Post
"His" I Have a Dream speech. Google it.
I did - there are over 3.5 million results. I don't have the time to look at the 3.5 million, but the top page didn't reference a fraud.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:37 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,824 times
The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Great American.

Was he perfect? No (neither is anybody else). Was he God? He would have recoiled at the very idea.

Was he a great man? Absolutely.

His speeches were brilliant, among the best ever written (and fortunately recorded, so we can still watch and hear him deliver them).

He was a walking, talking quote machine. There are so many, I don't know where to start.

If you've not had a chance to tour the King Center in Atlanta, be sure to do so on your next trip. Guided tours, etc.

When speaking of Dr. King, I always say the following:

"He freed an entire people. What have YOU done today?"

Old 01-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Great American.

Was he perfect? No (neither is anybody else). Was he God? He would have recoiled at the very idea.

Was he a great man? Absolutely.

His speeches were brilliant, among the best ever written (and fortunately recorded, so we can still watch and hear him deliver them).

He was a walking, talking quote machine. There are so many, I don't know where to start.

If you've not had a chance to tour the King Center in Atlanta, be sure to do so on your next trip. Guided tours, etc.

When speaking of Dr. King, I always say the following:

"He freed an entire people. What have YOU done today?"

Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knax View Post
No, he did not. The people did.
It takes someone like him to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston