Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,368,358 times

Advertisements

Well, I hope the economy comes back other wise these places will be big empty shells.

Anyone else remember what the Oil Bust did to strip malls? Parts of Highway 6 still haven't recovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 AM

12,732 posts, read 21,622,051 times
I say do both. I mean, look, those two malls will be shopping/tourist destinations for people going to the beach in Galveston. A lot of you are getting ahead of yourselves. I think that these two outlet malls will do good because they are new, and they outlet malls. Isn't there a place close to Austin that has all of those outlet centers? Maybe Galveston County can be similar to that. Really, if you think about it, this is a nice way to help breathe back more life into an area that was hurricane ravaged. Hey, look at the positives instead of the negatives.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM

I just read on the swamplot website that the Taubman company is thinking about building a third outlet mall.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,394,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I say do both. I mean, look, those two malls will be shopping/tourist destinations for people going to the beach in Galveston. A lot of you are getting ahead of yourselves. I think that these two outlet malls will do good because they are new, and they outlet malls. Isn't there a place close to Austin that has all of those outlet centers? Maybe Galveston County can be similar to that. Really, if you think about it, this is a nice way to help breathe back more life into an area that was hurricane ravaged. Hey, look at the positives instead of the negatives.
....where to begin.

We'll start here - Galveston County as a whole wasn't that "ravaged" by Ike. The island and Bolivar, yes. But all my family left in Texas City were back in their intact homes, with electricity and the whole works, within a week. The whole area had been regressing since before the hurricane. The town, other than the Dike, is pretty much the same as it was before the storm.

I might have been using too much arcane jargon earlier, so let me break this down: these projects will kill the rest of the outlet mall in La Marque, which of course was once new and had ultimately little impact on anything. It will also help bury Mall of the Mainland for good. That means the low-paying retail jobs that are allegedly going to bring the county back will be offset by losses there.

Fact: the holder of this city-data account was, in 1991, in a Christmas choir production with most of his fourth grade class for the opening of Mall of the Mainland. Yes, that's how recently it was built, it was touted as the next best thing that meant people would quit having to drive to Baybrook to shop anywhere above Wal-Mart or KMart. It's all but abandoned now. Incidentally, Wal-Mart relocated to a property next to the mall after it went up, before abandoning their new store for a Supercenter across the freeway some 13 years later.

You might then understand my skepticism about this thing being some sort of savior for the county. New malls and shopping centers cannibalize old ones, whose stores get closed and/or relocated to the next big new development.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM

443 posts, read 1,560,476 times
These kind of developments were announced at the same time last year in DFW. One in Grand Prairie and one in Irving, the Grand Prairie one has been terminated and the one in Irving is on the ropes. Hopefully these on I45 fare better since they are at least on the road to a tourist destination. Seems like the Kemah area would be a prime location for one of these centers, or on the road to Kemah.

However, the one in Conroe certainly isn't as nice as it used to be, the only one I've really seen thrive as much as San Marcos has been the outlet mall in Allen, at least in Texas.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM

DFWMike, I agree with you!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,870,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That's cool and all, but that doesn't really explain why Galveston County needs three outlet malls on 45.
Really only two -- that existing one doesn't really count -- there isn't anything there really.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:13 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,394,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
that existing one doesn't really count
It doesn't?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
These kind of developments were announced at the same time last year in DFW. One in Grand Prairie and one in Irving, the Grand Prairie one has been terminated and the one in Irving is on the ropes. Hopefully these on I45 fare better since they are at least on the road to a tourist destination. Seems like the Kemah area would be a prime location for one of these centers, or on the road to Kemah.

However, the one in Conroe certainly isn't as nice as it used to be, the only one I've really seen thrive as much as San Marcos has been the outlet mall in Allen, at least in Texas.
The Outlet in Hillsboro use to be a popular place back than as well.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,870,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It doesn't?
There are so few actual retail places in that dump ..... and the few ones that are - aren't much a draw to anyone - unknown - lower end. Or at least that is how I remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston