Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 PM

7 posts, read 9,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
take a cab one friday or saturday night to Washington Ave or Midtown. plenty of singles around there. or just hit up one of your local bars/clubs. i know of a Sherlocks/Baker st Pub on bay area blvd.
I have a friend who relocated far from home a few years ago and I remember she was going through what I'm going through now. One Friday night shortly after her move, I was on the phone with her and she said there was a bar near her house and she was contemplating going by herself since she didn't know anyone to invite. She worked up enough courage and decided to go, texting me periodically at first, so she wouldn't look too awkward while she was there alone. I thought she was absolutely insane going to a bar alone--I just couldn't imagine having the courage to do that! Anyway, she met a really nice guy that night and sang karaoke with him...I was a bridesmaid at their wedding this past May. :-)

So awesome! I still don't have the courage to go to a bar alone, though lol. Maybe if I were a guy,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 PM

7 posts, read 9,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Come to Austin, we know how to party right
Yes, I've heard! :-)

Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM

847 posts, read 1,751,327 times
if you're going to go to a bar alone, i'd suggest going to a bar nearby your house. that way, if you don't like it, you can leave early and be home quick...or the bright side would be that you will meet people that live near you and make friends near home.... i would also try going during happy hour since it's more "social" at that hour. then the more you get to know people/waitstaff, you can start going at night.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:54 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,346 times
I would have reccomended living in town and reverse commuting to Webster for work, but what's done is done. You are only about 1/2 an hour from the popular nightlife when there's no rush hour traffic. Get a group together and go check out the various hotspots (Washington Street, Rice Village, Midtown). I wouldn't reccomended cabbing it (too expensive) or going on your own (too dangerous, though Houston is generally a safe city).

Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,800,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Both of what?
Similar lifestyles.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 AM

4,377 posts, read 4,617,273 times
2 words :HOUSTONPRESS

go to the backads..that'll explain EVERYTHING..lmaoooo But you gotta be in the inner loop of Houston and go into a resturant to see if they have a copy.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 AM

799 posts, read 2,440,849 times
I used to live down on that side of town, and we went out and partied ALL THE TIME. We did spend a lot of time at Sherlocks, though. There was a decent place that has changed names a few times on 45, right next to a Mexican restaurant, used to be Don Vito's i think.

Is there still that small live music place off Nasa Rd 1? It was in a two story retail center, upstairs used to be a pool hall, and across from that used to be a great bar, but I know it closed awhile back. The live music joint used to get great bands for being such a small venue.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
That would be a big cultural shock for you. Trust me, I know how it is. I am from California. Both are Liberal.
Quote:
Both of what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Similar lifestyles.
No, I mean your sentence didn't make sense. You said both. Both California and what?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,800,475 times
Quote:
No, I mean your sentence didn't make sense. You said both. Both California and what?
Both CA and NY shares similar cultures.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
I used to live down on that side of town, and we went out and partied ALL THE TIME. We did spend a lot of time at Sherlocks, though. There was a decent place that has changed names a few times on 45, right next to a Mexican restaurant, used to be Don Vito's i think.

I've seen a lot of things change names on 45. And aside from Sherlocks there is a cluster of places w/ younger folks on El Camino Real/ Bay Area Blvd. The population is still pretty young down there from the UH branch. But I can imagine almost anything seams dead vs NY. If you go out towards the waterfront there is a variety of places there, but the age range tends to get higher. Same goes for a few wine/martini lounges that are within the neighborhoods.

First step is get out of Webster, as that is mostly a centralized, big-box shopping district that serves a 10 mile radius.

And as far as the Houston Press goes, you don't need to go inside the loop to find one. You can find that rag all over Clear Lake, and all over the place for that matter. Last one I picked up was at a bubble tea place a bunch of Clear Lake HS kids hang out at to play with their iPads LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston