Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:14 PM

13 posts, read 191,710 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm a full time college student attending school in Texas. I'm about to buy a new car and its from a private individual out of state. In her state they only have one license plate (on the back bumper).

I have a few questions.

1.) If I have a Bill of Sale, can I drive the vehicle back from her state to mine legally? I believe that she will also remove the back license plate when I go pickup the car next week. If I get pulled over, can I just show them that I just bought the car? How long do I have to get a new license plate?

2.) Since there's no front license plate, do I have to get a plate for the front? How long can I drive without a front license plate? I read that being a full time college student allows you to keep the front license plate off while you're in school, but I haven't confirmed this.

3.) The tags expire February of this year in her state. How long do I also have to get new tags? I'm not sure I can get new tags until the car is finalized in my name and I have my insurance on it. I think that process will take a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,750 times
Go to her local tax office. Just signing the Title and having a Bill of Sale is not good enough. You need to fill out "their" paperwork. And they should get you a paper plate. I don't know about the state you're getting the car (just google it) but in Texas the buyer is supposed to keep the plates.

Yes you need a front plate, it's the law. Go to VatoZone and get a license plate holder.

If you get a ticket for expired tags just show the judge you got new one and it'll be dismissed. Or maybe the cop will let you go if you let him know why. Most of the time they won't waste their time writing a ticket that will most likely get dismissed.

To get all the info go to the States website on transferring/selling a car over.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Why would she remove the plates? The plates go with the car not the person. She can't use them on another car. If she just wants them as a souvenir then tell her you'll mail them to her next month, when you'll be needing to get new Texas plates. Your car needs to have valid plates on it, from one state or another, at all times.

A new resident has 30 days I believe to update DL and registration but I think just attending college allows you to continue to claim residency in your home state.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:39 PM

^^You should read up before saying that. In the state of Texas the seller has the right (and should) to keep their plates. But I have no cluse what state they are buying the car and their laws on this.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Thanks guys for the help. Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. There's a lien still on the title, so that complicates things a bit. If anything she said that the title would have to be mailed. Kind of scary on that part.

But the seller is in Oklahoma. She said she would remove the plates, but I guess I can ask her to keep them on if the buyer is supposed to keep them. If not, I'll inquire about getting temporary plates. Not sure whether to do that in Oklahoma or Texas though, and hopefully it doesn't cost a lot.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
^^You should read up before saying that. In the state of Texas the seller has the right (and should) to keep their plates. But I have no cluse what state they are buying the car and their laws on this.
Thanks, I did read up and have been enlightened. And may have found the op an answer. From the Texas DMV website"

Can I drive the vehicle if I'm buying from an individual (non-dealer) on a Saturday or Sunday and the seller wants to keep his/her plates?

If the seller chooses the recommended option of removing the license plates and registration sticker from the vehicle, you will need to download a Vehicle Transit Permit. This will allow you to legally drive the vehicle to the county tax office to transfer the title and obtain registration (license plates and sticker) for the vehicle or, if the county tax office is closed, to a place of your choice. This permit is valid for five calendar days and only one permit may be issued per vehicle sale.
You also have the option of moving the un-plated vehicle on a trailer (no permit required) if you need to move it prior to contacting the county.
Note: Operating a vehicle on public roadways without valid license plates and a registration sticker is against the law, and the driver is subject to fines by law enforcement.

License Plate FAQs

Old 01-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Thanks Todd! Exactly what I wanted to read! Answers my question perfectly

Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 51,143 times
Hi, i recently purchased an out of state car and i was wondering how do i legally drive it back to my state with no plates? any ideas will be very helpfull... thanks.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 PM

Try searching for you local DMV's website.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:14 PM

188 posts, read 596,797 times
Remove the plate when you sell a car. The plate is under your name. If the person who bought the car with your plate on and go doing something crazy (traffic violation, not paying on toll roads), it can come back to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston