Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM

90 posts, read 130,399 times

Advertisements

To be honest I don't see a bright future for Pearland. Right now the West side is one big extremely generic chain strip center with some of the worst shopping Houston has to offer. Not to mention the riff raff coming down Almeda, 288, and sunny side. A few months bank there was even a bank stand off where the swat team had to be called down. The area is becoming predominantly middle-lower class African American which is NOT a bad thing in my opinion, but some may view that negatively.

Also any freeway in Houston is an abomination during rush hour and could easily take you up to 45-60 minutes on 288.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw4life View Post
To be honest I don't see a bright future for Pearland. Right now the West side is one big extremely generic chain strip center with some of the worst shopping Houston has to offer. Not to mention the riff raff coming down Almeda, 288, and sunny side. A few months bank there was even a bank stand off where the swat team had to be called down. The area is becoming predominantly middle-lower class African American which is NOT a bad thing in my opinion, but some may view that negatively.

Also any freeway in Houston is an abomination during rush hour and could easily take you up to 45-60 minutes on 288.
The west side is not at *all* generic chain strips. There are, of course, some chains. I was talking to the management at the Pearland town center and she was telling me that most of the customers do not actually come from Pearland. She has a lot of people from Missouri City, Alvin and other towns. People from the east side of Pearland avoid the Town Center because of the 518 traffic and because they did not want it built. There is a definite east/west divide which needs to be overcome.

Note that Pearland Town Center has many of the same chains as the Galleria
The Children's Place, Gymboree, A'Gaci, American Eagle Outfitters, Eddie Bauer, Macy's, Victoria Secrets, Zales Jewelers, Zumiaz, etc. You can compare the lists of stores. I don't see that this is the *worst* shopping in Houston. The Learning Express Toy shop is a locally owned Franchise and it's one of the best toy stores around.

There are also local shops and many of us shop at them to support that. We have some really nice locally owned restaurants though not enough of them.

Somehow, I doubt that there will ever be a majority of middle-lower class people of any race because housing prices range from low to extremely high.

As for the bank robbery, that was some very dumb criminals. It took place at the Chase bank on the east side, btw, not on the west side. Of course, for good measure, the high speed chase that caught the guy who tried to rob the Alvin Walmart ended in the parking lot of the Walmart on the West side of town.

These things seem to happen all over Houston, even in the Woodlands and it goes in cycles

Rash of bank robberies in The Woodlands area | Inside The Woodlands | a Chron.com blog
Spring man arrested for two robberies in The Woodlands on Monday | The Paper Magazine (http://fatcatwebproductions.com/the_paper/1678-spring-man-arrested-robbing-grogans-mill-shell-station-monday - broken link)

Old 07-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The west side is not at *all* generic chain strips. There are, of course, some chains. I was talking to the management at the Pearland town center and she was telling me that most of the customers do not actually come from Pearland. She has a lot of people from Missouri City, Alvin and other towns. People from the east side of Pearland avoid the Town Center because of the 518 traffic and because they did not want it built. There is a definite east/west divide which needs to be overcome.

The Children's Place, Gymboree, A'Gaci, American Eagle Outfitters, Eddie Bauer, Macy's, Victoria Secrets, Zales Jewelers, Zumiaz, etc. You can compare the lists of stores. I don't see that this is the *worst* shopping in Houston. The Learning Express Toy shop is a locally owned Franchise and it's one of the best toy stores around.

There are also local shops and many of us shop at them to support that. We have some really nice locally owned restaurants though not enough of them.

Somehow, I doubt that there will ever be a majority of middle-lower class people of any race because housing prices range from low to extremely high.

As for the bank robbery, that was some very dumb criminals. It took place at the Chase bank on the east side, btw, not on the west side. Of course, for good measure, the high speed chase that caught the guy who tried to rob the Alvin Walmart ended in the parking lot of the Walmart on the West side of town.

These things seem to happen all over Houston, even in the Woodlands and it goes in cycles

Rash of bank robberies in The Woodlands area | Inside The Woodlands | a Chron.com blog
Spring man arrested for two robberies in The Woodlands on Monday | The Paper Magazine (http://fatcatwebproductions.com/the_paper/1678-spring-man-arrested-robbing-grogans-mill-shell-station-monday - broken link)
You only proved my point with that list of retailers. More than 75% percent of all retail/restaurants in west pearland are generic chains. The Galleria does have it's fair share of chains (what mall doesn't), but on the contrary, it is the Houston epicenter for high end shopping.

As for home prices in the area your definition of "extremely high" is quite skewed in comparison to inner Houston areas. The highest priced home I could find on HAR in Pearland west was 899k. The lowest priced home I could find in West U is 550k.

Expect to see depreciation in Pearland because in reality, the area really has nothing special to offer. The schools are lacking compared to their suburban counterparts. Hell even Sharpstown High did better than every Pearland school in Newsweeks's top 1000 high schools in the country. The retail sucks. The restaurant scene is generic. 288 is an abomination of epic proportions. I could go on and on.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
You only proved my point with that list of retailers. More than 75% percent of all retail/restaurants in west pearland are generic chains. The Galleria does have it's fair share of chains (what mall doesn't), but on the contrary, it is the Houston epicenter for high end shopping.

As for home prices in the area your definition of "extremely high" is quite skewed in comparison to inner Houston areas. The highest priced home I could find on HAR in Pearland west was 899k. The lowest priced home I could find in West U is 550k.

Expect to see depreciation in Pearland because in reality, the area really has nothing special to offer. The schools are lacking compared to their suburban counterparts. Hell even Sharpstown High did better than every Pearland school in Newsweeks's top 1000 high schools in the country. The retail sucks. The restaurant scene is generic. 288 is an abomination of epic proportions. I could go on and on.
There are plenty of homes in the $1,000,000 range. They are not for sale.

I haven't seen much High fashion in Houston, but then I am used to New York City, Chicago and Boston.

The schools are not lacking. I would not put a lot of stock in the Newsweek list as its criteria are lacking and frankly, they did not give schools a lot of time to get the surveys back as shown by the fact that Stuyvesant High school did not make the list in 2011. I suspect many schools did not send in the forms due to time constraints this year.

College Board grants 'AP Achievement District' designation

Pearland ISD numbered among only 388 districts nationwide to earn a spot on College Board's 2010-11 Advanced Placement Achievement list. The district opened AP classes to more students while improving AP exam scores.

Massey Ranch has been authorized as IB World School

Glenda Dawson High School, btw, made the list at 332 this year and it is a relatively new school.

Rankings are nice, but they don't mean that much in comparison to what I see my granddaughter getting in her Pearland elementary school.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of homes in the $1,000,000 range. They are not for sale.

I haven't seen much High fashion in Houston, but then I am used to New York City, Chicago and Boston.

The schools are not lacking. I would not put a lot of stock in the Newsweek list as its criteria are lacking and frankly, they did not give schools a lot of time to get the surveys back as shown by the fact that Stuyvesant High school did not make the list in 2011. I suspect many schools did not send in the forms due to time constraints this year.

College Board grants 'AP Achievement District' designation

Pearland ISD numbered among only 388 districts nationwide to earn a spot on College Board's 2010-11 Advanced Placement Achievement list. The district opened AP classes to more students while improving AP exam scores.

Massey Ranch has been authorized as IB World School

Glenda Dawson High School, btw, made the list at 332 this year and it is a relatively new school.

Rankings are nice, but they don't mean that much in comparison to what I see my granddaughter getting in her Pearland elementary school.

1) Pearland is no where near as wealthy as neighborhoods like River Oaks, West U, and Bellaire. Just no comparison. People live in Pearland because they can't afford to live in those areas.

2) I never mentioned high fashion, all I said is that you wont find any high end shopping in Pearland. Let me know when a Louis Vutton store opens at the Pearland Town Center.

3)
Quote:
I suspect many schools did not send in the forms due to time constraints this year.

I don't see how that is even possible. The school and district are required to report all of this information to the state. Just because many of the schools are new, doesn't mean they are academically superior.

However, as generic and boring Pearland may be, it is safe and affordable which is the priority for many families so I don't blame them for their decisions. My problem with suburbs in general is that they represent the worst capitalism has to offer: Over consumption and over pollution. Cmon, you can't tell me you really need that 4000 sq ft house for a family of four.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Newsweek's top 1000 uses a very different criteria for judging. You need to read what they are basing their judgment on.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 AM

Re:Newsweeks list of best high schools

[quote=sw4life;20006622]
3)
I don't see how that is even possible. The school and district are required to report all of this information to the state. Just because many of the schools are new, doesn't mean they are academically superior.

Forms for the Newsweek list. They do NOT use the information from the states, but have a survey they ask schools to fill out. If the school does NOT fill out the survey, it cannot be on the list. Stuyvesant in NYC is certainly one of the best high schools in the United States. It did not make the 2011 list.

That was all I was saying.

Oh, and many of the schools that make it are like Stuyvesant in being selective in their admission. If you have to take a test to get in, my bet is that your students are going to do better than they will at a school which admits everyone.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:55 PM

150 posts, read 306,063 times
Quote:

I take offense with your comment. You have no idea what people's financial situation is. You cannot base this on looking at their skin color. What an unintelligible remark to make then you try to say in closing that it is not a bad thing as though you are not being racially offensive. Please.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Nana I have seen some very negative comments about the West side of Pearland. It seems it is coming from people, who may not be use to change on so many levels. If I could afford to live in Bellaire, which is not too diverse, but probably receive better services, I would. But like most people on this board we can't afford it and it doesn't matter what race you are. The color seems to be green in Bellaire. Bellaire is similar to many communities I have seen back east, but it is not here in the Houston area. There are far less communities like this around here and it makes me angry when people pretend that they are some how better financially then someone else based on race when it is not the case at all.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Based on what you just stated, you have no idea what you are talking about. You are not a good source of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston