U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,512 times

Advertisements

I'm sitting on top of a money pit house! A little after a year of living here, $8000 in plumbing blew and drained into a bedroom. I called a local plumber out, he said he remembered coming to this house a few times before, but the issues were too big for his company. I called the previous owner to ask her what kind of problems they had because of this man remembering them. She told me a main water line had broken through a the back yard stoop and was like a gyser. She and her husband decided to deck over it and put an ajoining deck over the other area that had blown. The company I hired showed me there was no water line at all! It had dissolved years ago according to the industrial plumbers that had to dig up half my yard and under my house! They found said with what they found under the decks, this was purposefully covered up.
The second issue is the huge cracks popping up all of the house and I can see now where it was plastered. They also installed a new driveway and it is also pulled up 6'' in some places. They disclosed house settling, had piers put it, but didn't tell me about the fault line running down our neighborhood. The next door neighbor told me that part. (They were close friends!)
The third issue now is when removing the Berber carpet in the kitchen, hallway and utility room, in which they installed, we uncovered Asbestos tiles and tar. The whole house is floored with this stuff except for one bathroom where they laid tile. I've had to hire an environmental company to remove all the asbestos and put a chemical solution on the tar floors while we are living at my mom's.
I'm having a hard time believing that with all the home remodeling the husband did himself, that he was not aware of all of these issues.
What are my rights?

Last edited by angryconsumer; 01-29-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 AM

9,053 posts, read 15,938,529 times
Those things should have been on the seller's disclosure. Do you still have a copy of that? Was an inspection done during your option period and do you still have the copy?

There are hundreds of fault lines throughout Houston, but only a handful of big ones. Which area of town (subdivision)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: