Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times

Advertisements

That would be a little odd for me because people here say "'they' are taking our men or women away from us." It's very hilarious!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:46 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelfthAG View Post
Interesting map related to the topic: Link
This paints a great picture regarding integration and diversity in certain areas. I wouldn't trust what anyone says in here without looking at this first (as long as you're not color-blind that is).

In my experience as a lifelong native, certain parts of the southwest side are the most diverse and integrated. Parts of Sugar Land and the Texas Medical Center isn't too far behind. Many swaths inside 610 are deeply segregated. Most suburbs fall in between. At least there is a choice for everybody.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:49 PM

Is there any noticeable racism within schools and the workforce? These are things that occur in some schools here.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:06 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Is there any noticeable racism within schools and the workforce? These are things that occur in some schools here.
In Houston I've worked in grocery, automotive and an engineering office. All were diverse and everyone got along fine, never felt any tension.

I can't speak for the schools as I finished high school 15 years ago and went to college 90 miles away. Back then it was a pretty mixed school in Sugar Land. Lots of folks mixed together. A number of folks (of any race) stuck with themselves. I don't remember any 'race fights' or what have you. I'd think nowadays there is no hard & fast rule and your mileage may vary.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
I finished High School 2 years ago, I'm 20 years old now and am an Asian Indian minority and have never in my life experienced any racism for my race and whatever and haven't seen any racism to others either, and I went to 2 different high schools.

It's fine here. Racism does exist like it does everywhere, but I can promise you, chances of being a victim to racism here, once in a blue moon.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:10 PM

My generation seems to be more tolerable of other races, so it may become more and more tolerable as I become older.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I finished High School 2 years ago, I'm 2 years old now and am an Asian Indian minority and have never in my life experienced any racism for my race and whatever and haven't seen any racism to others either, and I went to 2 different high schools.

It's fine here. Racism does exist like it does everywhere, but I can promise you, chances of being a victim to racism here, once in a blue moon.
Now, it seems like racism is more towards Mexicans, but there is more prejudice towards blacks.

DANNY, I didn't know that you were SO young! You're still not legal! LOL! I'm not either.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:51 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
My take on the whole issue is from my observation and experiences for the most part ppl of the same "race" or ethnic background still hang out amongst each other in a click-ish manner. It's not like some kind of racial utopia that some ppl might envison. I'm on the southwest side which is probably the most integrated area of the city and for the most part hispanics still hang with hispanics, blacks still hang with blacks, asians still hang with asians,whites still with whites. Pretty much like most cities I've been to in America. Just in Houston I feel as though the lack of zoning forces integration. Hell you have so many areas in Houston where you can have a rich area right across the street from a lower income area and those 2 groups of people aren't really mingling. They'll shop and eat at the same places because there in the same vicinity but it's not like there an example of racial or class harmony. It is a high level of tolerance because it's normal to run into different ethnic groups in Houston. It's not like you would get long stares even if you're a interracial couple atleast not in public. It's too big and you see it too often. However lack of zoning can give off the illusion that is racial harmony. I've have alot of instances where I was racially profile or sterotyped since I been in Houston. And i'm from east texas where "racism" is supposed to be the norm which is no different or worst where i'm from then most mega cities across America.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
My take on the whole issue is from my observation and experiences for the most part ppl of the same "race" or ethnic background are still hang out amongst each other. It's not like some kind of racial utopia that some ppl might envison. I'm on the southwest side which is probably the most integrated area of the city and for the most part hispanics still hang with hispanics, blacks still hang with blacks, asians still hang with asians,whites still with whites. Pretty much like most cities I've been to in America. Just in Houston I feel as though the lack of zoning forces integration. Hell you have so many areas in Houston where you can have a rich area right across the street from a lower income area and those 2 groups of people aren't really mingling. They'll shop and eat at the same places because there in the same vicinity but it's not like there an example of racial or class harmony. It is a high level of tolerance because it's normal to run into different ethnic groups in Houston. It's not like you would get long stares even if you're a interracial couple atleast not in public. It's too big and you see it too often. However lack of zoning can give off the illusion that is racial harmony. I've have alot of instances where I was racially profile or sterotyped since I been in Houston. And i'm from east texas where "racism" is supposed to be the norm which is no different or worst where i'm from then most mega cities across America.
Great post.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
I get profiled every time I meet with a bilingual team leader and they assume my white Norwegian ass couldn't possibly speak a lick of Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston