Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 9,663 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Houston within the next few months from Los Angeles and have been doing some research. It seems like River Oaks/Memorial and The Woodlands are the most upscale areas. However, I've read a lot where people say that you have to drive through bad areas to get to The Woodlands, is that true? And which area has a more upscale feel to it, like which has better shopping and more exotic cars around? I currently live on the westside of LA and want the most similar quality of life in Houston. Oh, and I'm moving due to job transfer.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 AM

967 posts, read 2,595,875 times
The Woodlands is middle class suburbia. Yes there are upper middles who probably *think* they are all that, but really it is minivan suburbia.

Drive through bad parts of town? I don't know what that means... you shoot up the freeway... you aren't winding through streets.

If you really are wealthy and used to that lifestyle than River Oaks is more for you. You aren't going to find that is suburbia, no matter how nice their mall is...

Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
Houston does not have a "bad part of town" , the neighborhoods are all mixed together with good and bad parts scattered about. It is not a far drive from either The Woodlands or River Oaks to get to a "bad area".

Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times
There's no comparison between River Oaks/Memorial and The Woodlands.

It's like Beverly Hills v. Irvine.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:46 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,713,176 times
River Oaks, no question, is more upscale. The Woodlands is a nice suburban area, with some very nice homes, but it's really just upper middle class suburbia. You drive through some areas of town that are less than desirable, but as descovy mentioned, you're on a freeway, and it really depends on where you are driving from.

River Oaks is old Houston money. If you've got that kind of money, it's a no-brainer.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,773,910 times
Its a 30-40 minute drive up the freeway between them. River Oaks is centrally located. If you have a house in LA, you should be able to afford something in RO, housing is much cheaper here.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonbound123 View Post
I'm moving to Houston within the next few months from Los Angeles and have been doing some research. It seems like River Oaks/Memorial and The Woodlands are the most upscale areas. However, I've read a lot where people say that you have to drive through bad areas to get to The Woodlands, is that true? And which area has a more upscale feel to it, like which has better shopping and more exotic cars around? I currently live on the westside of LA and want the most similar quality of life in Houston. Oh, and I'm moving due to job transfer.
River Oaks = Best located (very central), super-upscale, old money, history.

Memorial (I assume you mean Memorial Villages/77024) = a little further west but still "in" the city, more suburban in nature, upscale, old + new money.

The Woodlands = very far north in a different county, more "country" I guess, master-planned suburb. Ranges from middle class to new money. Sugar Land is another one, except closer to town than the Woodlands. Looking at counties alone, Fort Bend (Sugar Land) is actually the wealthiest, mostly because there are so many poor areas in Harris County (Houston) that bring the rest of it down.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you had the money I'd go with River Oaks first. Good comparison to Beverly Hills. The Woodlands or Sugar Land would be more like Orange County. Here, those are the places you live for nice housing and great schools when you can't afford the very few areas of Houston proper that have the same, or if you work in those areas (they do have several companies and a few headquarters.) But River Oaks is the absolute best-located, super convenient to just about everything.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,014,209 times
no way is a house price in LA comparable to a house price in River Oaks. he said he lived West, but he'd have to give more info to say something like that. He'd have to explain his budget, but if it is in the millions RO would be the ideal

Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 PM

40 posts, read 101,179 times
Budget? Kids? etc.

Sounds like you want River Oaks. Memorial Villages are also very nice. Less old money and a little further out but still close to everything. Tanglewood in 77056 might be another option. Very upscale and right next to the Uptown/Galleria area.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM

30 posts, read 67,706 times
Personally, I would live in Memorial Villages and shop at River Oaks. I love the Memorial area more...but RO is in a perfect location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston