Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:02 AM

10 posts, read 22,373 times

Advertisements

My husband may be transferred to the Houston area very soon. I'm in a quandry regarding areas to live. I'm particularly focused on the Woodlands, Spring, Cypress, and Katy. What's the scoop on Kingwood? Even though I have seen gorgeous homes (on line) in Kingwood, one person posted it's like a trailor park area and has a scary mall. That's hard to believe. (Not interested in living in Sugarland or Pearland) We will be working in Houston on the westside of the loop. I've noticed there are very few upscale grocery stores in the entire area. In the DC area, we have several Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sprouts, and Paneras. I saw there is a nice grocery store in the Woodlands. Are there no upscale grocery stores in Katy? Also, are there any health issues regarding the horrible oil spill in the gulf. Has anyone in Houston gotten sick? Thousands of people have gotten sick along the gulf beach areas. DC has a very large influx of multi-cultural folks which has its plusses, but we are ready for a change. Sometimes we feel like foreigners in this area because we don't speak other languages. In fact, Target hires retail people that don't speak English. It's so frustrating since I can't communicate in the store. Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomreb22310 View Post
My husband may be transferred to the Houston area very soon. I'm in a quandry regarding areas to live. I'm particularly focused on the Woodlands, Spring, Cypress, and Katy. What's the scoop on Kingwood? Even though I have seen gorgeous homes (on line) in Kingwood, one person posted it's like a trailor park area and has a scary mall. That's hard to believe. (Not interested in living in Sugarland or Pearland).
Kingwood is still relatively nice although you may be lacking in retail choices compared with The Woodlands (although Humble which has a mall isn't that far away), but the trade off is that it is an easier commute to Downtown Houston than The Woodlands. However with Earthquest being built up the road that will probably change for the near future and more amenities will probably be built in Kingwood.

Quote:
We will be working in Houston on the westside of the loop. I've noticed there are very few upscale grocery stores in the entire area. In the DC area, we have several Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sprouts, and Paneras. I saw there is a nice grocery store in the Woodlands. Are there no upscale grocery stores in Katy? Also, are there any health issues regarding the horrible oil spill in the gulf. Has anyone in Houston gotten sick? Thousands of people have gotten sick along the gulf beach areas.
While there are no Whole Foods stores in either The Woodlands, Katy, or Kingwood (although Sugar Land has one), several H-E-B's are relatively upscale in those areas and many of them offer products from Central Market (a store similar to Whole Foods that is based in Texas and has a store in Houston).

Now as far as the oil spill in the Gulf it has not negatively affected Texas and in fact it almost proved to be beneficial since many companies were hiring people to help manage the spill.

Quote:
DC has a very large influx of multi-cultural folks which has its plusses, but we are ready for a change. Sometimes we feel like foreigners in this area because we don't speak other languages. In fact, Target hires retail people that don't speak English. It's so frustrating since I can't communicate in the store. Thanks for your suggestions.
Houston is probably going to be very similar to DC in this regard since it also has a large immigrant population although not as bad as say Miami.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
There are no trailers in Kingwood, it is a master planned community with strict building standards. Kingwood does not even have a mall so I would not put much credit into whoever posted that. I suggest you fly down and drive around these neighborhoods to get a feel for what you like.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
Quote:
My husband may be transferred to the Houston area very soon. I'm in a quandry regarding areas to live. I'm particularly focused on the Woodlands, Spring, Cypress, and Katy. What's the scoop on Kingwood? Even though I have seen gorgeous homes (on line) in Kingwood, one person posted it's like a trailor park area and has a scary mall. That's hard to believe. (Not interested in living in Sugarland or Pearland) We will be working in Houston on the westside of the loop. I've noticed there are very few upscale grocery stores in the entire area. In the DC area, we have several Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sprouts, and Paneras. I saw there is a nice grocery store in the Woodlands. Are there no upscale grocery stores in Katy? Also, are there any health issues regarding the horrible oil spill in the gulf. Has anyone in Houston gotten sick? Thousands of people have gotten sick along the gulf beach areas. DC has a very large influx of multi-cultural folks which has its plusses, but we are ready for a change. Sometimes we feel like foreigners in this area because we don't speak other languages. In fact, Target hires retail people that don't speak English. It's so frustrating since I can't communicate in the store. Thanks for your suggestions.

If you work on the west side of town, why on earth would you want to live on the east side or north side? You're condemning yourselves to unnecessary hours on the road. It would be like me wanting to live in Alexandria and working somewhere in Maryland---you're driving through some hideous traffic on the way. (The traffic coming in from the north, The Woodlands, is stout. Go look at the Houston Transtar traffic map at 7:30 am CST and see how much "red" you see.

The most upscale areas in Houston are River Oaks and Memorial, and they are on the west side. You'll find Whole Foods and Central Market. The "regular" grocery stores are pretty upscale here as compared with other areas of the country.

Houston is very multicultural, throughout. You will also find here that Target and Wal-Mart (not exactly upscale stores, eh?) hire mostly people who barely speak english, and almost no one at a convenience store or fast food restaurant does. (It is still a bit jarring to ME to have an hispanic waiter at an Asian restaurant...). All areas in Houston are "fully" integrated, so you will likely have asian and middle eastern neighbors along with, of course, hispanics and african americans.

Just curious, why would you rule out Sugar Land? It's pretty "upscale" and features some fabulous subdivisions (huge mansions on golf courses, with canals, fountains, huge trees, etc).

We have had no health issues here from the oil spill. We are 50 miles from the Gulf. Galveston (on the Gulf) has also had no health issues.

For the record, in terms of "upscale", Katy, Sugar Land, and The Woodlands are effectively equal; Kingwood, Clear Lake are as nice but their surroundings are not. All three of the "upscale" areas I mentioned are far enough from the Galleria Area (which is what your post sounded like as far as where you'll work) that you're going to have bad traffic, but The Woodlands is a bit further and the freeway to there is worse. The Woodlands, also, is not an incorporated city but is a general area in the county; this can be both good and bad. Katy and Sugar Land are incorporated cities.

You don't mention children or schools---if you have no children or are planning to send your kids to private schools, there are many areas inside the city (Memorial, for one) which are more desirable and "upscale", and much closer to work than any of the suburbs. This is not DC; living inside the city is not the "kiss of death" as it is there; in fact, quite the reverse.

I've been writing this post trying to figure out how to say this, and I think I'll be brutally frank: your concern with "upscale" and fear of "health issues" and desire to get away from "diversity" makes me think Houston may not be a good fit for you. I guarantee you we have neighborhoods you cannot afford, full of genuinely rich "old money", and some areas that are absolutely gorgeous---but overall, the city is an industrial city with relatively bad air quaility, NO ZONING (means you can and do have a multi-million-dollar neighborhood directly next to a slum); freeways that are jammed (a la DC), etc.

Not saying you WOULDN'T like it, but it's honestly not for everybody. I would urge you to visit and drive neighborhoods, actually visit the grocery stores, etc., (and visit for, say, a week, not a day or a weekend, you need to see it during the week), see what it would be like to live here, BEFORE you make a commitment. I would say that about any place you're considering moving, not just Houston.

Last edited by Malvie; 02-05-2011 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Smile Thank you to everyone...

I truly appreciate your honest assessment and advice regarding the Houston area. Your information has been very helpful!!

I'm sure my husband and I will find a lovely place to settle. Since I enjoy eating organic food, I'm happy to know that HEB grocery stores are somewhat similar to Whole Foods.

We definitely look forward to living in a warmer climate. Hot summers will not be an issue for us since we lived in Phoenix many years ago.

Take care and have a great day!!

PS Per your suggestion, we'll check out Sugarland.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:08 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
You didn't mention your house budget - so be aware that the nice neighborhoods near your work location will be expensive and you will most likely have to consider private school. Schools are fine in Sugar Land. I am curious why you originaly ruled out Sugar Land.

Please understand, too, that Houston is very diverse.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Default Sugarland

Yes, I now understand the diversification in the Houston area. Sounds just like the DC area. I've been in DC for 20 plus years, so I'll continue to acclimate to certain issues.

Regarding Sugar Land, folks had posted that it was bland, like a "cookie cutter" area and no one spends time outdoors. Regarding the Woodlands... that's what attracted me to that area.... folks bicycling, jogging, etc...

I usually surf on school digger to see the demographics and the school ratings. Apparently Sugar Land has several nice areas... one area in the Bess Campbell Elementary School jurisdiction looks good to me. Are there houses there in the $500k range?

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:46 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Yes, I now understand the diversification in the Houston area. Sounds just like the DC area. I've been in DC for 20 plus years, so I'll continue to acclimate to certain issues.

Regarding Sugar Land, folks had posted that it was bland, like a "cookie cutter" area and no one spends time outdoors. Regarding the Woodlands... that's what attracted me to that area.... folks bicycling, jogging, etc...

I usually surf on school digger to see the demographics and the school ratings. Apparently Sugar Land has several nice areas... one area in the Bess Campbell Elementary School jurisdiction looks good to me. Are there houses there in the $500k range?

Thanks.
That's near Riverpark - homes there are usually under $350K. There are many other good schools besides that one.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:24 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
The Woodlands doesn't have an organic grocery. People used to make pilgimages into Houston to go to Whole Foods. All the MPC's are very much alike, they will all have trails. Just pick one on the side of town you will be working and you'll be ok.

OR, here's a concept, for 500,000 you can live in the city next to Whole Foods and Upscale everything and no commute. The trade off is the house will be 30-50 years old. The city has jogging trails,paths and parks as well. Some areas have great public schools, some you'll need to go private. But many live in the burbs and go private as well. Just depends on the type of education and control over education you are looking for..

Old 02-05-2011, 02:36 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
Just FYI not all HEB are created equal. Some are "upscale" and others are typical middle class ones. Mixed bag HEBs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston