Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times

Advertisements

Continental to cut 500 jobs at downtown offices Woodlands Texas Business News on Woodlands Online

I think this is a bit of a stab in the back. I saw it coming but I had hopped that it wouldnt end up like the Delta/Northwest merger (and the layoffs in Minneapolis).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 05:00 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,559,699 times
Why is it a stab in the back? Although I will say this after reading comments about this story in chron, abchouston etc: Many locals seem to be awfully bitter that Obama's town took away Continental. They don't like it at all.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why is it a stab in the back? Although I will say this after reading comments about this story in chron, abchouston etc: Many locals seem to be awfully bitter that Obama's town took away Continental. They don't like it at all.
Chron commenters will blame Obama for anything, including but not limited to:

the weather
the rolling blackouts of last week
Egypt being in arrears
Chad Holley stealing
the cops beating Chad Holley
NASA scaling back under Bush's watch
Israel and Palestine not coming to an agreement
the Chinese kicking collective *****
and finally,

the lack of world peace.

As far as Continental goes, I saw this coming too. Hard to have a merger with no layoffs and we all knew Houston would see these layoffs before Chicago.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why is it a stab in the back?
Even though this inevitable, I always hate to see an airline promise a city something and then hack away at it. Im work for the airlines and Im used to seeing this. I just thought because Houston has so much going for it, they might be able to escape most of it.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Wrong article.

Excerpt:
Quote:
In a statement, the Greater Houston Partnership said the loss of jobs was not unexpected.
"Ultimately, the Greater Houston Partnership is confident that the merger between United and Continental will result in a positive net growth in jobs for our region," the group said. "We are pleased that George Bush Intercontinental Airport will be the largest hub of the world's largest airline. This foundation will allow us to grow jobs over time to make up for the initial losses. Houston's friendly and attractive business climate, compared to other major cities, will always be appealing to United/Continental Holdings as it continues its integration and operates as one airline."
Source: Continental To Lay Off Hundreds - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/26779763/detail.html - broken link)

They didn't take anything away from any promises, depends on which article you read, depressing and to the point ones like the one mentioned earlier will shift to job losses and only that. Other ones don't give you the in sight of the fact that they have made IAH their largest hub.

Bureau of Transportation Statistics has recorded a 200 gain in jobs in airport and grounding for the Houston Airport System services since the merger was completed and construction has started for the master plan to face lift almost all of IAH.

Here is the US Government's Bureau of Transportation Statictics website: BTS | Data and Statistics

You can go through and see all the data, IAH and the Houston Airport System in general has recorded Post Recession Highs in Airport Traffic this year, along with job creation from the shifts of adding more United/Continental Flights to IAH. Air cargo and freight movement is up, and doing exceptionally well to their expectations.

Yes, department jobs will be lost, the headquarters is in Chicago now, so its obviously going to happen, and the article states frontline jobs will stay. Continental never promised Houston anything more than benefit and looking at the BTS Government website of their added flights and jobs, I would say they have lived up to their claims to make IAH the "Gateway to Latin America". No promises have been broken, this isn't Cleveland.

This is the same as the job losses in Dallas due to Blockbuster filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, its inevitable, and people should act like its a surprise when the signs have been there since day one.

Job losses suck anywhere and my point is, taking one article that explains the negatives doesn't really wreak the benefit at all, all it does it get people alarmed, job losses are terrible and I'm sure the people who will be laid off will feel very bad about what Continental did, but its life, people gain jobs, they lose jobs. The airport system is gaining jobs at a steady pace, look into it, and it'll out weigh the losses regardless.

In summary:
Job losses are inevitable, anyone who didn't read the chron in the last 5 months where they said it was going to happen, well, this is news to you. Everyone else, they know what's up for knowing what takes place. This has nothing to do with Houston or promises left to Houston, its logic, I encourage everyone to stay more updated on this and look things up in various places before making assumptions or opinions.

Last edited by DANNYY; 02-07-2011 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Tweak.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,755,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Chron commenters will blame Obama for anything, including but not limited to:

the weather
the rolling blackouts of last week
Egypt being in arrears
Chad Holley stealing
the cops beating Chad Holley
NASA scaling back under Bush's watch
Israel and Palestine not coming to an agreement
the Chinese kicking collective *****
and finally,

the lack of world peace.

As far as Continental goes, I saw this coming too. Hard to have a merger with no layoffs and we all knew Houston would see these layoffs before Chicago.
Boy isn't that the truth

Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,139 times
Why does continental want to be based in Chicago? That makes no sense. Can someone explain?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,555,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Why does continental want to be based in Chicago? That makes no sense. Can someone explain?
D'oh. I'm pretty sure Continental never "wanted" to based be in Chicago.

Last edited by RCH99; 02-07-2011 at 09:19 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Because United wouldn't merge with Continental unless they did, and Continental really wanted to merge. I think it was the wrong move, since Houston, and Texas are about to boom this decade like no other area in the country, but time will tell. It's not like Chicago is a slouch anyway.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,601,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Because United wouldn't merge with Continental unless they did, and Continental really wanted to merge. I think it was the wrong move, since Houston, and Texas are about to boom this decade like no other area in the country, but time will tell. It's not like Chicago is a slouch anyway.

^^^^I agree. It was the wrong move. The corporate headquarters should have remained here in Houston where their largest and busiest hub is located. This headquarter relocation was calculated long before the merger was ever finalised. I also think that there will be alot more layoffs headed this way. This is only the beginning. They should have never merged.

Last edited by AmberAzeneth; 02-08-2011 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston