Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 AM

75 posts, read 137,355 times

Advertisements

Here's my thoughts on that place since my parents looked at it a few months ago and was planning to move there but backed out last minute(not because they found better but it wasn't the right time to sell their house yet)

I really liked the area that we looked at in there and we were only looking at Perry Homes. I'm not familiar with the roads but I know that when you exit off of 59 and take the right, at the first red light, we were looking on the right side. I believe there are apartments on both the left and right and I've heard the apartments on the left wasn't great with bad ratings. But the one on the right was fine. Neighborhood looks nice and cozy and yes the value of homes there are less than in Riverstone/Telfair as you stated. They didn't look into schools because well, my sister and I are both graduated from college. The only con that I can think of at this moment is that even though you are located right off of 59, to get back onto 59 to go North, it was a long drive before there was an entrance ramp but maybe there's a different route that we didnt know about? Either way, if you choose this place, I think you will like it but do also consider school zone and such, in case of needed re-sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksw10 View Post
This is a brand new home I am considering with all the new energy saving features and stuff.

And I want to be close to 59 and not too far out. Dont wanna go somewhere in the middle like Aliana or Long Meadow Farms.

So everything is working out here except that one school .

New Territory and First Colony are great but the homes are much older.
Far out from what? Where is your work? Is there a reason you want to be so close to Hwy 59? Hwy 90A is an alt route, or will get you to Hwy 59. Just curious, because you had mentioned Riverstone earlier, which (as far as I know) has the new construction all toward the back, pretty far from Hwy 59. You could get new construction in Old Orchard, be closer to Hwy 59 than the newest parts of Riverstone and be really close to Hwy 90A.

Sort of sounds to me like you're already set on River Park W for the most part, and mostly want reassurance? If you don't mind the school issue, and plan to stay for a long time (at least 5+ years), and don't expect appreciation (it might be near Hwy 59 but on a map it looks almost all the way out to Rosenberg, with lots of open land around), then just go for it if you are comfortable with that and have found a house you like.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,190,508 times
Just a thought - have you looked at homes in New Territory or First Colony? I know they are not new but they are nice. Anything you buy today won't be new in a few years, either. You might just take a peek at a couple.

If you are set on new, Riverpark will be a good choice for the money - but like AK123 said, don't expect much appreciation because of the school district.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
My friends who live there are unhappy with the school and considering moving. You might want to look at some of the updated homes in New Territory. Some of them are gorgeous with lots of the features of newer homes. Especially if someone updated the house and then has to move because of a relocation or something, you might get a killer deal.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 AM

82 posts, read 255,754 times
I currently rent in Sugarland and love the area. So am trying to stay close to it. Hence I looked at RiverPark West .Work in the Galleria area , so 59 is an easy commute.

I did consider Riverstone but the new houses are waay behind right now.
They will probably open up new sections closer to University Blvd later on .

Have also been looking in Katy . My preference is to get a new house.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 AM

145 posts, read 382,758 times
Quote:
Have also been looking in Katy . My preference is to get a new house.
If you want a new house in Sugar Land with that budget, then the tradeoff will be the schools. Just keep in mind that most parents who make the long drive into the city from the suburbs are doing so to give their kids access to better schools. It's why older homes zoned to Austin, Clements, Dulles, etc. sell for as much as they do. The potential resale market for a large family home on the fringes of Sugar Land zoned to less well-regarded schools is likely to be limited.

You should be able to find something new without the associated school compromise south of I-10 in Katy, though. The tradeoff there is the longer commute.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
I currently rent in Sugarland and love the area. So am trying to stay close to it. Hence I looked at RiverPark West .Work in the Galleria area , so 59 is an easy commute.
I guess this is what's confusing me.
I don't consider River Park West all that close to central Sugar Land (which most people agree is centered at Hwy 6 & 59.) It's nearly 7 miles further out, away from Houston, down Hwy 59 almost to Rosenberg. So just for comparison, Aliana is just over 7 miles NW of SL town center, and a shorter drive to Galleria via the Westpark! And Old Orchard, just north of Hwy 90A, is just outside of Sugar Land city limits and 5 1/2 miles from the SL town center.

There isn't any new construction in Sugar Land I'm aware of right now aside from Telfair and parts of Riverstone. The nearest new construction after those I think is Old Orchard, which is nearly done. In 2012-2013, there will be some new construction with the new master-planned community around the Imperial site, but I'm not sure it will be the traditional lot neighborhoods like we're used to seeing.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,803 times
So did you buy home at RiverPark West? I would like to know if this community is safe as Sugar Land? My only concern is that there are apartments near RiverPark West that might affect re-sale value but also the safety, what do you all say about being apartments close to the community?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,783 times
We bought our house in River Park West and love it! We rented an apartment for 6 months while we researched the area. The apartment was in New Territory. Because of living in New Territory we didn't even consider Telfair. We loved River Stone but it was far off the highway. We considered Great Wood and First Colony but could not find anything updated enough for us. We came across a Perry Home in River Park West by accident and it was perfect. Because it has a Richmond address we didn't consider it. I am glad we found it. We feel with the growth in the area the school district will improve. We have seen this happen before. Also, we heard, you can send your kids to Great Wood and other Sugar Land schools but have to pay. We love our neighborhood and our home. The neighborhood is full of professionals and they keep their yards nice.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,783 times
Default Schools are no longer Lamar High

The schools have been rezoned to George Ranch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston