Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times

Advertisements

Unless you have about $50,000 in proven damages, you will never find a competent attorney to take your case. It is not worth their time. The first thing you will asked is what did you do to remedy the problem. Whatever money is paid will go to the lawyers.
Remember the old woman and the McDonald's coffee? They proved in a courtroom that the reason the coffee was so hot as to cause her 3rd. degree burns and her need for several surgeries was the manner in which McDonald's held their coffee. The coffee will stay fresher tasting longer if kept at excessively high temperature. ( they do not have to throw out day old coffee). It was not the industry standard. She finally got enough money to pay the medical tab. That's it. That big payday everybody was tossing around never happened.
Are you in such pain as to be disabled? Surgery? Have you missed work? Lost income? Can you prove it?
Even if by some good fairy intervention you would win over the jury and prevail in the courthouse, the other side will win it when they go to the business favorite Texas Supreme Court. Then they will come after you for their legal expenses, and they will get them. By then, both sides will be into this for about $200000. If you go to trial, your lawyer gets 40%.
Best you just take that rocker to where you bought it and ask them what happened? Get another or get your money back. Faulty design, bad workmanship will get you nothing. Posters here have already said it was your fault for being fat. They are the jury pool.
Tort reform in Texas did a lot of damage to consumers. You have no rights anymore. If a retired person is disabled by a medical procedure, all they get is medical bills paid. Since they are retired, there is no lost income. There is no such thing as pain and suffering.
Did your health insurance cost decrease when Tort Reform was enacted? Thank Homebuilder David Weekley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:13 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Accidents happen. It's not they did this maliciously.

Take the chair back, demand a replacement or refund.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 AM

234 posts, read 681,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
We purchased this rocking chair about 4 months ago and just recently it broke as I sat in it. I went through the bottom and now I have some lower back pain. Looked at the chair and the bottom portion is broken in half. Do I have a right to sue or should I just suck it up? Any advice would help.
Suit yourself its a free country but if you are up against a big corporate, get ready to be slammed with a ton of paperwork. Do you want a jury trial or a judge? It will be tough to get a jury because there wont be too many around who havent had the pleasure of sitting down.

Seriously though, as someone else has already suggested - ask for replacement - may be a free delivery.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 PM

343 posts, read 942,057 times
For those asking I am well below the weight limit. I have not received a response from the manufacturer I guess I will try to take it back were I bought it. Not suing...my back is feeling better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston