Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saks View Post
We are looking into buying a house in the Woodlands. With several options, it's so confusing!!
We are looking for some information regarding the following:
1. Is it better to buy a house in the Creekside park area or in the May Valley Sterling Ridge area?
2.How do the schools in Tomball area compare to those in Magnolia school district?
Please advise.
Thanks!!
My son attended Tomball ISD North pointe and now is Willow Brook. In Tomball ISD, North Pointe is the best, and the only one school can be compared with the top schools in Texas. The rest of Tomball Schools are weak by my standard. My standard is beside exemplary school, the school has to participate in the Math and Science tournament and has to achieve a state level championship level from 5 or better in the state of Texas, has soccer team and orchestra. By this standard Sugar Land (Fort Bend Independent School District) is the best followed by Katy ISD and Klein ISD. Fort Bend Independent School District has so many top schools in the Texas and Nation. If you think about top 20 National Universities for your children later on, Fort Bend ISD is the best; otherwise, Tomball or Magnolia is not much different .....

Last edited by StevenLe7; 05-29-2012 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:56 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,035 times
I'm a Realtor as well, and I think the school districts are on par with each other, however you're going to spend more on the same square footage in The Woodlands, than you will in Tomball, and I'm talking the exact same house (if building - and obviously the same builder is building in the same two locations, like mine was).

Just something to think about.

ETA: And don't get me wrong, I love The Woodlands. My parents have lived there for over 20 years. The only reason I ended up in Tomball, was because my house was $30k more in The Woodlands. I've actually grown to love it out here though. I like it much better than Spring, where I was prior to building.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 PM

150 posts, read 306,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLe7 View Post
My son attended Tomball ISD North pointe and now is Willow Brook. In Tomball ISD, North Pointe is the best, and the only one school can be compared with the top schools in Texas. The rest of Tomball Schools are weak by my standard. My standard is beside exemplary school, the school has to participate in the Math and Science tournament and has to achieve a state level championship level from 5 or better in the state of Texas, has soccer team and orchestra. By this standard Sugar Land (Fort Bend Independent School District) is the best followed by Katy ISD and Klein ISD. Fort Bend Independent School District has so many top schools in the Texas and Nation. If you think about top 20 National Universities for your children later on, Fort Bend ISD is the best; otherwise, Tomball or Magnolia is not much different .....
Fort Bend ISD is the best? You are including even the low performing schools when you say Fort Bend ISD is the best. Fort Bend includes many towns. You know this right?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne7 View Post
Fort Bend ISD is the best? You are including even the low performing schools when you say Fort Bend ISD is the best. Fort Bend includes many towns. You know this right?
I do not know all Fort Bend Schools, but these are great schools

High Schools

William P. Clements High School
Lawrence E. Elkins High School
Dulles High School

Middle Schools
Quail Valley Middle school
Fort Settlement Middle school
First Colony Middle School
Fort Bend GT academy

They are in the list of top USA National Schools. The Students come from these schools dominated the TMSCA texas math and science of Texas for so many years and they still are. They also went to white house to see the presidents for almost every year for Math Count USA national champion. Several Kids from high school students are to present the USA in International Math Olympia. They get into top 20 national universities. I think it is hard to discredit that. I think Houston, Magnolia, and Tomball still have a lot of works to catch up. If you are think of the low performing schools, they all have a lot of them..............Houston or Tomball or Magnolia. Good things about Tomball and Magnolia are they are safe even they are not excellent in academy.

Last edited by StevenLe7; 05-30-2012 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,220 times
Default Tomball High/Middle Rating?

Hi...

We are considering moving to creekside and are concerned with the scoring of Tomball High School and middle...You mention in your reply that Tomball HS is rated as recognized and almost an exemplary. Everywhere I have researched shows both the high school and the middle school rated as exceptable.

I am just wondering where you recieved the information at?

Last edited by Oildog; 07-22-2012 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: 10 post to link off site

Old 07-22-2012, 01:21 PM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
There is a spot on HAR.com for getting info on schools. You can also compare several. The TEA site has all Texas schools scores.

In order to grasp these heavily relied on rankings, one needs to understand how the tests are scored. There is a lot of designed in obfuscation.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,526 times
The closer you are to the new Exxon facility the better chance for resale value. Magnolia ISD is great, I love love love it! The teachers are supportive and work with the kids. They love what they do. I have two boys that have grown up on the east side of Magnolia very close to The Woodlands and I have no complaints. Early on we considered putting our kids into John Cooper but in the end we felt that they were getting a great education in Magnolia schools. I am sure that the other districts are great too. But one thing to keep in mind is that Magnolia is a very conservative district. They have strict dress code policies. The personal grooming is very strict as well.They are also a school where the pledge is still said every morning and a moment of silence is taken. If that bothers you then don't send your kids to MISD.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
Given the state of the economy and the fervent anti-tax sentiment in the state right now, I think that any historical precedent should be taken with a grain of salt. School funding looks like it will be decimated over the next two years - at least - which will cause all districts to reconsider the way they do business.
If the amount of money schools receive is what determined success, American students wouldn't test so poorly in math and science compared with countries like China and Estonia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston