Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:45 PM

7,536 posts, read 11,517,179 times

Advertisements

Alief is really not as bad as people say it is now 15 to 20 yrs ago it was much worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM

54 posts, read 234,131 times
i'm in the same situation that you were in. our income is slightly higher but we were able to find a somewhat decent area off of westheimer/ energy corridor in the alief school district for $600/mo. i know that there are a lot of vacancies in this area. i guess it used to be shady but it's slowly on the upswing. it's the meadow on the mews. a lot of the townhomes/ condos are privately owned or managed by a realty company. i would have loved to have been able to pay more to get in one of the really nice communities around here but my 2-2 isn't so bad.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,125,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Alief is really not as bad as people say it is now 15 to 20 yrs ago it was much worse
It seems worse than it was, to me. Schools are bad. Property values declining.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,507,242 times
Alief experiences a lot of crime even in the residential neighborhoods. I would only have sent my kids there if I had signed a contract guaranteeing my children would be in AIMS GT and would have spots at Kerr.

What really hurts Alief ISD is their intermediate schools. They are not very good.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:55 PM

46 posts, read 118,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knax View Post
I can't help much, because I think it's not doable without some kind of help. So, this is what I suggest.

Look for some kind of subsidized housing. You will have to. There's no way you'll find even a small 1 bedroom for 400 Dollars a month. Let alone in a decent area, or even something bigger.

Only one of you is working, correct? ( Working minimum wage would get you about 14500 a year, so I'm assuming it's only one person working) You would qualify to get all of your tuition paid. If there's something you/she really likes, I would strongly suggest to go to College and get some certificate/ 2 year degree/ 1 year program etc. I know HCC does offer child care for its students, so does UH. They will take care of your child while you're in school. Getting some education will increase your potential salary, as well as job prospects.

I wish you all the best. Good luck!
This is seriously true? Full tuition paid and free daycare if you work a minimum wage job? WOW!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,020,144 times
no thats not true

Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,571,535 times
The child is 9 months old. It's going to take a couple more years for the ISD to be an issue... which is only an issue if you raised 'dumb' kids that resist learning altogether or both parents are not around for the growing child. 4-10 years will be a whole lot of time to build a foundation and move up if necessary or if the situation is all better for you.
Chances are most crime people talk about here happen to people who look like they have money.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is. Been there, done that. What about you? I was independent, parents income wasn't considered, and I made less than 20k through College jobs. I got much more than I paid in tuition. And yes, HCC and UH do offer child care services to their students. I've seen it.
Well you are welcome. Those of us who paid our own way and don't have our hand out paid for that.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,020,144 times
Quote:
Yes, it is. Been there, done that. What about you? I was independent, parents income wasn't considered, and I made less than 20k through College jobs. I got much more than I paid in tuition. And yes, HCC and UH do offer child care services to their students. I've seen it.
You've seen it... Have you applied? Do you know the eligibility? Are you aware of the wait list?

You don't just say to a school I only earn X and they say Okay we'll pay the rest! There is a lot of in between that weeds most people out.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You are welcome. And no, you didn't pay for it. Next try.
Who do you think paid for it? This should be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston