Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times

Advertisements

I am not saying Forest Cove is ghetto I am saying there is a whole huge neighborhood, Forest Cove, between Lowes and the border of Kingwood, so for me it is a stretch to say that Lowes is part of Kingwood. Kingwood is not a real town so I guess you can call the borders wherever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I am not saying Forest Cove is ghetto I am saying there is a whole huge neighborhood, Forest Cove, between Lowes and the border of Kingwood, so for me it is a stretch to say that Lowes is part of Kingwood. Kingwood is not a real town so I guess you can call the borders wherever you want.
Well we have lived here for 10 years and have pretty much always considered Kingwood a town in its own right and always considered its starting point right after you cross the river wether you are coming from the feeder on 59 or West Lake Houston. To each their own I guess but according to mailing addresses it is Kingwood.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM

14 posts, read 15,823 times
I think I have some great areas from all of you ready to look at. I can see by all the views that there are others benefiting from your information too. It is strange to imagine that a few minutes of someone sharing their opinion can shape the future of someone. For example, I can go to Cypress based on one post that sounded great, find a home and settle there, creating a ripple effect that is overwhelming to think about. Anyway, thanks everyone.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 PM

239 posts, read 638,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy00 View Post
It is strange to imagine that a few minutes of someone sharing their opinion can shape the future of someone. For example, I can go to Cypress based on one post that sounded great, find a home and settle there, creating a ripple effect that is overwhelming to think about.
That's exactly how it happened for me. I found my dream neighborhood by reading someone's posts here and it did change my life! Now here up-thread, I've told you about it too. Maybe it will also be your dream neighborhood and change your life in neat ways too.

Ripples indeed!

Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy00 View Post
I think I have some great areas from all of you ready to look at. I can see by all the views that there are others benefiting from your information too. It is strange to imagine that a few minutes of someone sharing their opinion can shape the future of someone. For example, I can go to Cypress based on one post that sounded great, find a home and settle there, creating a ripple effect that is overwhelming to think about. Anyway, thanks everyone.
Great perspective on things. Good luck with finding your home and getting situated in our great state of Texas and wonderful city of Houston. Welcome to Houston and Welcome home.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Okay everyone, I have been looking a lot at all these places online and am getting familiar with the areas. When I set the area on HAR to show houses to Woodlands, over to Atascocita, down to Spring, and west to Tomball, it includes Cypress, Kingwood, and Porter. There was this affordable beautiful house on a whole acre lot in a subdivision called RiverWalk in Porter. I was wondering how a brand new home on a whole acre can be so inexpensive. Isn't this right next to Kingwood? It is even on a lake. What is the deal with Porter?

I have added criteria. I want a lot where the house if very deep set away from the street, not just the typical front yard. I saw some properties that I can picture letting my kids go out front and spend the day there with a huge area away from the street to play with no worries. Unfortunately, these kinds of lots have been in either rich areas out of my budget, or in the po-dunk areas where the house itself is kinda old and run down.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 PM

28 posts, read 92,243 times
I personally have not been to Riverwalk before, but have heard it is fairly nice. The big issue is that in general Kingwood and Porter, while only separated by a few miles, feel worlds apart. Kingwood is an upper middle class suburb. Porter is more of a working class town and not trying to be mean, but you are getting into Bubba land once you get to Porter and north of there.

Before you buy or rent in Porter, go to the Walmart and just walk around for a while, very different from Kingwood.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
If you do a forum search on Riverwalk you will find a couple threads discussing it. Basically the main part of Porter is a run down white trash area, but it does have some nicer neighborhoods tucked away. Riverwalk is fine, but nothing fancy, and that lake is not much to look at. I suggest you take a drive there yourself to judge, it may not bother you. You might look to Forest Cove, that is an acreage community adjacent to KW on the SW side although it is a little pricier than RW and the houses are mostly older. I also agree about taking a trip to Porter Walmart. If nothing else a trip there is good for your self esteem.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,739 times
Riverwalk is also going to have direct access to the Grand Parkway. This could bode well for you Emmy00.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Hi everyone! It's been awhile, but I have been living in a new build in grand mission for 2 months now. Not what I was originally going for but it was the right fit for the time being. But wow, I learned a lot about Houston in the house hunting process. Thanks for everyone's input. Btw, I was a hair away from choosing the woodlands but the same price could get me so much more elsewhere and it was just so far from my parents. Sometimes you can put a price on the beautiful woods and community in the woodlands but it just depends on priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston