Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 PM

93 posts, read 271,308 times

Advertisements

I will try to make this as brief as possible. I moved to Kingwood 5 months ago. I had a trucking job lined up in Humble. (I transferred from my job
in Denver, Colorado, to their truck terminal in Humble). But I quit the first day. I did not realize how valuable a trucking job was in the Kingwood/Humble area at the time. I am not
an over-the-road truck driver; rather a city driver. Here is it, over five months later, and I am still unemployed. This area (Kingwood/Humble) does not have much industry. I have two months left on my apartment lease.
(April 30th). I still have
savings left. But I have burned through more than $5000 so far. I know I need to move. But the question is to where. I don't think Houston is a good fit for me.
I like medium-sized cities. My options are: One, move closer to Houston where the jobs are. Two, move to another city in Texas; one that is medium in size, and
(very important) considered a transportation hub of the area. Or three,
move out of state all together to some other city. I am leaning toward
the latter. I think the South will be too hot for me in the summer.
But what's the wise thing to do? I have two months left on my lease?

See this is where it gets complicated for me. I am paralyzed with indecision, and confused. I can't think clearly. I really don't want to move to Houston. I know I won't like it. I want to go someplace smaller. A medium sized city,
but a transportation hub, too. I am honestly just laying here day after day wasting away. I sleep all day. I have tried quite hard to find a job in
Kingwood/Humble, but nothing has materialized. Now at this point
I no longer want to look for work here because there isn't enough time left here. I know I want to leave
Kingwood/Humble. So what's the point even looking for work here.
I am not thinking clearly. If you can help me I'd appreciate it.
It seems the easiest or wisest thing might be to try and find work in the Houston area, and then tell the new employer I won't be able to start until
my lease is up in Kingwood which would then allow me to move to Houston.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
There are boocoos of trucking companies in Eastern Harris County near the ship channel.

Try Pasadena or Baytown. They're not the cleanest or newest suburbs, but its also dirt cheap to live there. Live where you can afford which is the situation you're facing now till you can save up enough to move some place nicer.

Interstate 10 East is lined with trucking companies.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:59 AM

alright thanks, matt. I still have to live here for two more months, though. I know I'm not making much sense.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by while parked View Post
I will try to make this as brief as possible. I moved to Kingwood 5 months ago. I had a trucking job lined up in Humble. (I transferred from my job
in Denver, Colorado, to their truck terminal in Humble). But I quit the first day. I did not realize how valuable a trucking job was in the Kingwood/Humble area at the time. I am not
an over-the-road truck driver; rather a city driver. Here is it, over five months later, and I am still unemployed. This area (Kingwood/Humble) does not have much industry. I have two months left on my apartment lease.
(April 30th). I still have
savings left. But I have burned through more than $5000 so far. I know I need to move. But the question is to where. I don't think Houston is a good fit for me.
I like medium-sized cities. My options are: One, move closer to Houston where the jobs are. Two, move to another city in Texas; one that is medium in size, and
(very important) considered a transportation hub of the area. Or three,
move out of state all together to some other city. I am leaning toward
the latter. I think the South will be too hot for me in the summer.
But what's the wise thing to do? I have two months left on my lease?

See this is where it gets complicated for me. I am paralyzed with indecision, and confused. I can't think clearly. I really don't want to move to Houston. I know I won't like it. I want to go someplace smaller. A medium sized city,
but a transportation hub, too. I am honestly just laying here day after day wasting away. I sleep all day. I have tried quite hard to find a job in
Kingwood/Humble, but nothing has materialized. Now at this point
I no longer want to look for work here because there isn't enough time left here. I know I want to leave
Kingwood/Humble. So what's the point even looking for work here.
I am not thinking clearly. If you can help me I'd appreciate it.
It seems the easiest or wisest thing might be to try and find work in the Houston area, and then tell the new employer I won't be able to start until
my lease is up in Kingwood which would then allow me to move to Houston.

You need to look in Ft. Smith, Little Rock, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Joplin. Trucking is king in those areas (one of my former big clients was a trucking firm in Ft. Smith). These are smaller areas with heavy-duty trucking industry. There is a huge truck stop area in West Memphis, Arkansas, intersection of IH 40 and IH 55; worth a trip to go there and hang around in the coffee shops for a couple of days and talk to drivers. You'll quickly get a flavor of good companies and bad.

Good luck! Sorry Houston didn't work for you.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Sleeping all day sounds like depression. I know you can pop a few pills for that, but action might work better.

Since you are just hibernating right now, why not look for a job? You are not tied physically to that apartment. Even if you wind up paying rent on two places (in order not to break the lease and mess up your credit), while working at a new job - you will have money coming in and be moving forward.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,604,326 times
Get up out of your bed and go and apply for a job. Quit feeling sorry for yourself. There are two Fedex terminals on Aldine Bender Road(F.M. 525) and Heathrow Forest Parkway acroos the street from the huge airport post office. That intersection is one light east of J.F.K. Boulevard and Aldine Bender Road heading towards the Eastex Freeway(U.S. 59) close to where you live. Go to the Fedex Ground Home Delivery terminal first. You will never know until you try. Please go to the Fedex terminals there. If you are as experienced as you say you are, then you will be hired there.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:29 PM

thanks malvie. Thanks cheryjohn. AmberAz I have applied to those teminals. I almost had a job at fedex home delivery for christmas, but my background check took 4 weeks to come back. So missed out.
I don't want a job here now. I have a bad association with this place now.
Only two months and two weeks left before I can legally leave. I am trying to focus and visualize the steps I would need to leave here and what it would entail. I have two cats. Leaving here without an
apartment lined up ahead of time will be stressful on them. I think it is important for me to get out of her sooner rather than later. I don't think I can make it for two months and two weeks.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,604,326 times
Quote:
thanks malvie. Thanks cheryjohn. AmberAz I have applied to those teminals. I almost had a job at fedex home delivery for christmas, but my background check took 4 weeks to come back. So missed out.
I don't want a job here now. I have a bad association with this place now.
Only two months and two weeks left before I can legally leave. I am trying to focus and visualize the steps I would need to leave here and what it would entail. I have two cats. Leaving here without an
apartment lined up ahead of time will be stressful on them. I think it is important for me to get out of her sooner rather than later. I don't think I can make it for two months and two weeks.
If your background check is done and you are cleared, Fedex Home Delivery will still put you to work. At least get some income in your pocket before you leave to help with your move. Try not to drain your savings entirely.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:33 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
Over-the-road trucking may be your best bet....I'm sure you can find one that keeps you in the state on Texas. Like Matt said "There are boocoos of trucking companies in Eastern Harris County near the ship channel."

Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,328,351 times
Quote:
alright thanks, matt. I still have to live here for two more months, though. I know I'm not making much sense.
You can always try commuting -- just cause you live in Kingwood doesn't mean your job has to be in Kingwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston