Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM

87 posts, read 399,043 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I am looking for a honest affordable alarm company for my home. I called Smith Thompson since I read about them here and have read to stay away from the big guy names like Brinks/ADT etc.
The thing with Smith Thompson is that they don't do the window sensors anymore, you are advised to use the glass breaking detectors for each room at $69.00 a piece. If I went without the glass breaking detectors then it means that the only thing that would trigger the alarm would be the doors or the motion sensor in the main room. I am not sure I feel ok without the window sensors...........they said they used to do this but not anymore........any other companies here in Houston I can use??

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
What is your issue with the glass breaking sensors versus the old style window open sensors?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
What is your issue with the glass breaking sensors versus the old style window open sensors?
Probably the price. At least the price would be a concern for me. That would cost us an estimated $621 extra dollars for the nine rooms we have with windows in our home. That is costly on top of everything else that an installation entails.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM

87 posts, read 399,043 times
That is correct the price is the problem at $69 a piece for each room would cost a lot plus the $299 regular installation. It would cost me like almost $800

Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Probably the price. At least the price would be a concern for me. That would cost us an estimated $621 extra dollars for the nine rooms we have with windows in our home. That is costly on top of everything else that an installation entails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageGirl View Post
That is correct the price is the problem at $69 a piece for each room would cost a lot plus the $299 regular installation. It would cost me like almost $800

That is exactly what I figured. People are going to say that you can not put a price on safety. Well my answer to that is do not go broke getting a safety system installed.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM

239 posts, read 638,847 times
[quote=VintageGirl;17908129I am not sure I feel ok without the window sensors...........they said they used to do this but not anymore.......[/quote]

The reason they and other companies are moving away from the window sensors is that so many break-ins now just bypass the sensors and go straight for smashing the window, which of course will not trigger the sensors, rendering them essentially useless.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
2 points. First, as GettaClue mentioned you are a lot safer with these sensors. Second Smith Thompson charges you up front for the install then a low monthly fee. ADT and others with give you free or cheap install price, give you the cheapest possible equipment and charge you 4 times more per month for x years which will end up costing you more than paying the install up front.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:27 PM

258 posts, read 954,294 times
Yeah I feel your pain. If I had the time, I would read up on how to program the system myself. There are several do it yourself (DIY) forums on home security systems.

How do you think I felt after paying $49 to watch a guy install a door sensor (wireless) in about 5 minutes?

Last edited by phaze; 02-17-2011 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-17-2011, 04:55 PM

913 posts, read 4,342,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageGirl View Post
Hi everyone.
I am looking for a honest affordable alarm company for my home. I called Smith Thompson since I read about them here and have read to stay away from the big guy names like Brinks/ADT etc.
The thing with Smith Thompson is that they don't do the window sensors anymore, you are advised to use the glass breaking detectors for each room at $69.00 a piece. If I went without the glass breaking detectors then it means that the only thing that would trigger the alarm would be the doors or the motion sensor in the main room. I am not sure I feel ok without the window sensors...........they said they used to do this but not anymore........any other companies here in Houston I can use??

Thanks,

Why pay for glass breaking detectorsand other expensive stuff if one can install a motion sensor in the hall and/or every room? This will be cheaper and much more efficient.

Second: install some video surveillance system, that you can monitor on your iphone. This is not expensive and muuuch more efficient. The video gets saved on a remote server and/or on your dedicated computer hidden somewhere at home.

Bottom line: The more sensors you put, the more false alarms you gonna have. Just useless. Ever wondered why car alarm installers never push you into installing additional (glass break, wind, IR, tilt) sensors? Same reason.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 PM

239 posts, read 638,847 times
Motion sensors are not a great idea if you have pets, no matter how much a salesperson tries to tell you otherwise. And they are useless while family members are actually at home.

As for cams and iPhones, unless you already have the phone and are paying the high monthly fees, I can't see that as being much an affordable solution either. Decent cams alone can be prohibitively expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston