Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 PM

913 posts, read 4,326,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Why can't they just relocate out there? There istill plenty of undeveloped prairie available. Or the question should be, "Why did they build in the Grand Parkway ROW(Right of Way) to begin with?" Everyone has known about the basic route of the Grand Parkway for about 20 years now.
I have spoken with one of the curators and they told me that it costed them 25 million US to build it in 1995 money. Bow this would be just as much if not more to relocate it.

I agree with poor Gardens advertisement throughout the life of the museum. However, I first found out about the place the second year i moved to Houston. Which is back in 2004. It was by its own and not really part of the Houston Tourism Board. However one could find it - "all good things come to he who looks".

Even now, during sales, they are understaffed, overworked and overwhelmed. Hence, Sales information is only available on Craigslist.

I believe, the Park deserves our respect. You can look at it last time. Or you can buy some figures for your own back yard. This way you will benefit yourself and bring some money to a forever-closing Gardens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbusdog View Post
I think the Grand Parkway is just a good excuse to close up shop. The Parkway is just going to skirt the bounds of this property. If they need any land for it, it is very minimal. The fact is that this place was just practically a ghost town and hasn't been well kept for several years. There's just no real reason to justify paying to move it to a new location when almost nobody went in the first place.
I have no idea what is truly behind the closing. However, based on the info I have so far this is not my impression.

- They would have started closing much earlier allowing themselves to gradually sell everything. In this case it is totally opposite: they have only 3 weeks before its over.
- They hastily hand over the whole lot to a liquidation company, hence loosing thousands and hundred of thousands of dollars on everything. If they sold pavement, lumber, structures, figurines themselves they would have gather much more money.
- Gardens has no idea where many of the figures will go to up until now, the last moment. This is sad. They still have not managed to find a good home for every exhibit.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 AM

The Wall Street Journal has posted pictures from the last sale at Forbidden Gardens last weekend. Around 2300 people have showed up on sale weekend.

Miniature Terracotta Army on Sale - Photo Journal - WSJ
Texans Buy Terracotta Warriers From Forbidden Gardens - WSJ.com

Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,713,176 times
We visited it once not long after it opened. At the time we didn't live in the Houston area, but were just there visiting our family. I think we were the only people there. It was pretty cool, but it was cold and we didn't hang around very long. We moved to Katy a few years later, and never went out there. We actually knew people in Katy who had never heard of it. We really thought it must have closed, but drove by once and were surprised to see it still there. I don't think I ever heard any advertisement for it. It always sounded to me like the guy that owns it, just built it as a folly and never cared if it made money or not.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,111,665 times
I knew about it back when it opened, but never remembered to visit and always meant to. Zero advertising doesn't make it stick in your mind. Even Coca Cola still advertises for a reason.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM

332 posts, read 530,216 times
These would look nice in that thing they are planning to build beside the new Soccer Stadium. you know, the park thing that China is gonna be helping build. It will look nice.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,991 times
Is there any way to buy the terra cotta soldiers left at the Forbidden Gardens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston