Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:31 PM

30 posts, read 76,128 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm spoilt with having shopped at Trader Joes, Henry's, and Whole Foods. There is nothing like Trader Joes or Henry's in Houston. HEB not even close. I can't believe the prices at the Houston Whole Foods or the Central Market Prices. They must be 20% more than I paid at Whole Foods in San Diego. I shopped at Whole Foods every day of my life in San Diego as I lived a block away and it was an easy walk.

After nearly five months here, I cannot find tuna fish in a can without salt added. I can't find meat that hasn't some sort of chicken broth added to it. Well, either that, or it's got hormones and other horrible stuff. Well, I can find it, but the prices are horrendous.

This is the first time in my entire life that I have ever seen meat in a store where the labels say that it contains chicken broth.

I've tried so many stores, I don't know what to do. I found something called Joe V's on the web but it was about 30 miles away from me. (I'm near Galleria.)

Any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamagician View Post
I guess I'm spoilt with having shopped at Trader Joes, Henry's, and Whole Foods. There is nothing like Trader Joes or Henry's in Houston. HEB not even close. I can't believe the prices at the Houston Whole Foods or the Central Market Prices. They must be 20% more than I paid at Whole Foods in San Diego. I shopped at Whole Foods every day of my life in San Diego as I lived a block away and it was an easy walk.

After nearly five months here, I cannot find tuna fish in a can without salt added. I can't find meat that hasn't some sort of chicken broth added to it. Well, either that, or it's got hormones and other horrible stuff. Well, I can find it, but the prices are horrendous.

This is the first time in my entire life that I have ever seen meat in a store where the labels say that it contains chicken broth.

I've tried so many stores, I don't know what to do. I found something called Joe V's on the web but it was about 30 miles away from me. (I'm near Galleria.)

Any suggestions.
Go back to California.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:09 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Here are many stores you can check for your specific food items. Did you visit them all?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 PM

239 posts, read 638,981 times
I had that same problem when I moved here from Colorado too. Things here have improved a lot since then, believe it or not, but clearly still have a long way to go!

Over time, I've cobbled together a grocery list that's a combination of Costco, HEB's Marketplace stores, local farmer's markets...and seriously adjusted expectations.

I wish I had better news!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,080 times
Quote:

Any suggestions.
I lived in Newport Beach and Santa Fe New Mexico where I really enjoyed shopping at Traders Joes and Mothers (in Newport). But, I've been able to satisfy my discerning grocery tastes perfectly well here in Houston. I don't understand how you can completely dismiss HEB. I think HEB produce and meats are some of the best out there. Which one(s) have you been going to? The newish HEB at Bunker Hill and I-10 has seemingly any kind of organic meat, cheese and veggie anyone could ever want. And, if you can't find it there, HEB Central Market on Westhimer inside the loop has all kinds of exotic organic, natural foods from ALL over the world.

I tend to shy away from Whole Foods because I think theire groceries are about 20-30% higher in price than similar (and better) quality goods at HEB. The other great thing about HEB is that if they don't carry what you are looking for they WILL try their hardest to get it for you in the store. My wife is from Dublin Ireland and recently asked the meat market manager (HEB at Bunker Hill) about getting a certain cut and type of pork filet that she was used to getting in Ireland. He said no problem and we had it the next day. Now THAT is service I will return for!

There are also wonderful Farmers Markets/Co-Ops in and around Houston. Here are some links:

Central City Co-Op: Houston's ORIGINAL Organic Co-Op!
Urban Harvest Farmers Market
Canino Produce - Farmers Market - The Heights - Houston, TX

There are over 15 on this list alone:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5071721.html

ps. I don't work for HEB!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,398 times
Whole Foods is based in Austin, TEXAS.

I cannot imagine that your grocery prices were cheaper in California than here. I've lived and shopped both places.

Agree with the other posters; if you've not tried the HEB on Bunker Hill, you've not tried.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:17 PM

30 posts, read 76,128 times
Thanks, everybody. No, I haven't tried HEB in Bunker's Hill. I tried the one in Westheimer and asked them if they had organic meat and they said no.

Yes, Whole foods in San Diego was cheaper. I paid between $4.99 to $5.50 or organic grass fed lamp chops throughout the years. It's not even remotely close to that price here.

The Farmers' Markets sound great. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:20 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
I did a lot of grocery shopping in Lake Tahoe, at Trader Joe's and Costco in Reno before Costco built the new store down the hill. They were way cheaper than here.
Friends in St Louis pay for organic chicken about what I'd pay for chicken full of arsenic, antibiotics and hormones in Houston. Organic milk is a lot cheaper, too.
Still wishing for Trader Joe's.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Thanks, everybody. No, I haven't tried HEB in Bunker's Hill. I tried the one in Westheimer and asked them if they had organic meat and they said no.

Yes, Whole foods in San Diego was cheaper. I paid between $4.99 to $5.50 or organic grass fed lamp chops throughout the years. It's not even remotely close to that price here.

My go back to Cali crack was not meant to be nasty, btw. I'm originally from San Diego and actually lived down the street from the Henry's market on Governor for a while. I'm surprised you cannot find what you are looking for here or that food prices are so dramatically more expensive. I've not noticed such a dramatic difference.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:00 PM

82 posts, read 102,972 times
Quote:

My goodness you are kidding me! I go to Phoenicia (Middle Eastern market) for lamb and certain products. I think the only cut of lamb I've seen for $5 would feed a toddler (especially in HEB) and it was not organic.

Last edited by Ashlynn_Joy; 02-21-2011 at 04:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: