Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,245 times

Advertisements

Hi all

We (myself, hubby, 1 boy (6) and 1 girl (4) moved from North-East Scotland out to Perth, Australia 5 years ago (now hold Aus Passports). We love life in Perth but now find ourselves with the opportunity of being relocated to Houston for up to 2 years.

I am quite excited about this but need reassurance about schooling, safety of where we shall live, outdoor lifestyle etc etc. Not particular bothered either way about living in amongst ex-pats!

Husband's work is based in Clay Road 77041-5597, which means nothing to me! He doesn't like to commute but we don't want to live in an apartment in the city if you know what I mean! I'm hoping for something similar to what we have here in Perth, a 4 bed house with garden and pool and relatively close and within easy reach of Hubby's work.

Does this place exist?!!!

All replies/opinions gratefully received!

Many thanks
Scozzie456

Last edited by Scozzie456; 06-28-2010 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: spelling error!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:02 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Not the same...

Hi there Scoz'... I've been to Perth a couple of times, very nice place! I'm afraid this is going to be a case of two worlds, especially where your husband will be working... almost ghetto as compared to anywhere in Perth. But, if it will only be two years, at least you will know you will be able to leave after that.

I have some friends in Cottesloe that lived in Houston for a while... In fact, she is originally from the UK herself. They actually loved it here, but they lived, and he worked on the West side of Houston in the Energy Corridor.

Good luck, and welcome to Houston.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:49 AM

222 posts, read 720,201 times
You should have no problems finding what you want here. A rental will be harder to find than a home that you can buy. Check out www.har.com to find listings of homes available for sale or rent. To keep his commute short (assuming he works along the sam houston tollway at clay rd), i would recomend somewhere like "Lakes on Eldridge" subdivision or Willowbridge. Not sure about schools, but if its only for 2 years, then probably any elementary school is ok.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scozzie456 View Post
Hi all

We (myself, hubby, 1 boy (6) and 1 girl (4) moved from North-East Scotland out to Perth, Australia 5 years ago (now hold Aus Passports). We love life in Perth but now find ourselves with the opportunity of being relocated to Houston for up to 2 years.

I am quite excited about this but need reassurance about schooling, safety of where we shall live, outdoor lifestyle etc etc. Not particular bothered either way about living in amongst ex-pats!

Husband's work is based in Clay Road 77041-5597, which means nothing to me! He doesn't like to commute but we don't want to live in an apartment in the city if you know what I mean! I'm hoping for something similar to what we have here in Perth, a 4 bed house with garden and pool and relatively close and within easy reach of Hubby's work.

Many thanks
Scozzie456

Welcome to Houston!

You don't mention your price point on a home, but there are many very nice neighborhoods within a short drive of Clay Road/Beltway 8 (use Mapquest or Google maps for that intersection). Every price point from around $150k on the lowest end to however-many-millions-you've-got. Looking at the map again, when you go directly south on Beltway 8 from husband's office (you don't mention his company either, but aside from some small retail, most of the offices are located on the Beltway or very close by) to IH-10, you enter some of the nicest areas in Houston (I'm fortunate enough to live in one of them). To the east side of the Beltway along Memorial Drive are everything from very nice condominiums to multi-million-dollar mansions. To the west are very nice suburban-feeling areas for approximately 10 miles also ranging in price from $200k up. Schools include both public (our "public", not British "public") and private (= British "public") in all price ranges (the private schools, again, = "how much money do you have?"). Educational opportunities are fine here.

Shopping, dining, entertainment--the area has all of these. You should easily be able to find a nice home that will meet your requirements within your budget, while affording your husband a maximum of 30 minutes for a commute (this in the worst traffic/weather combination). I wish I worked up there, it would take me about 15 minutes door-to-door.

Again, welcome to Houston!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:39 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scozzie456 View Post
Hi all

Many thanks
Scozzie456
Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 AM

175 posts, read 482,973 times
Sent you a direct message.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:11 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
There is a group of subdivisions known as the Colonies within a 20 minute drive (price range $150K - $200K). Lakes on Eldridge and Twin Lakes are newer, larger and more expensive - also within 20 minutes. All are in the Cyfair school district, which is good. If the location is near the Beltway and Clay - the commute will be more like 12 minutes.

Kudos to you for telling us the work location - a lot of people do not - and it's impossible to help otherwise.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Lakes on Eldridge is very popular with expats and would make for a minimal commute for your husband. Enough families send their children to the international school (Awty) that the school has a bus serving that area, but I think the public schools are good too. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,577 times
Alot of expats send their kid to Awty school (IH10x610) and from what I've heard, it's an excellent school; many also choose the Village school if going private. Your kids are young so it's prob ok to send to public school for 1-2 yrs, assuming you live in good school district. Check out www.har.com I would stay in 77077, 77079 or 77024 if you can afford it -search other threads about good schools in west houston or memorial to read what others say about good schools in these zips. Lakes on Eldridge is also very nice and closer to work, I just find it a bit more isolated, but that's b/c I like to hang out in the city and West houston alot.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:07 AM

20 posts, read 45,898 times
For a fact, the living conditions in Houston are pretty extreme compared to Perth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston