Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:28 PM

676 posts, read 817,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston_alex View Post
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. It is going to be very hard to decide but I am leaning towards Montrose. One thing though, I know it's known for it's large gay community (does not bother me whatsoever) but I was just wondering what the female hetero community was like there? Thanks again. Alex
Gay guy from Chicago here living just south of Montrose in University Place. Hard to tell Montrose is the gay center of Houston unless you are specifically "looking" for gay bars, churches and stuff. It really is pretty mixed...as is most of the area in the loop west of downtown. Loving Houston and love being in this area...we couldn't have picked a better area to live in. Montrose north, Upper Kirby west, Rice Village south, Museum District/Zoo/Park/Medical Center SE all a mile or two away. We drive a lot less than we did in Chicago (we used mass transit...but to get things we had to drive way out in the burbs...not the case with Houston....practically everything is 2-4 miles from our home.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 AM

21 posts, read 34,232 times
After walking around both cities, I liked the retail options of the Heights better than Montrose. It's probably due to the broken window theory. I wound up choosing to live in Eastwood, but I have kids, hence my bigger driver. I did not care for the McMansions and the type of people it brought, but there are several other areas in the Heights that indicate people care about their homes very much and the homes are original construction. Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 PM

46 posts, read 83,471 times
Am I to understand there are no bars at all in the Heights?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 PM

286 posts, read 736,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACHAOS View Post
There are bars at the edges of the Heights, specifically White Oak Drive, and then a few restaurants within the Heights boundaries that serve alcohol (at least one restaurant requires you to join a club in order to serve you a drink -- it's just a formality, no club actually exists). There are some restaurants that allow you to bring your own alcohol. But generally speaking, yes, the Heights is a "dry" neighborhood. For a true bar scene, you'll need to cross I-10 and go to Washington Ave.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,950,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
There are bars at the edges of the Heights, specifically White Oak Drive, and then a few restaurants within the Heights boundaries that serve alcohol (at least one restaurant requires you to join a club in order to serve you a drink -- it's just a formality, no club actually exists). There are some restaurants that allow you to bring your own alcohol. But generally speaking, yes, the Heights is a "dry" neighborhood. For a true bar scene, you'll need to cross I-10 and go to Washington Ave.
But Washington is just tooooooo d-baggy for my tastes. Big Star is a really cool bar out there in The Heights. It is better to go to the Trose for the cool bars. Well, I guess that depends on whether you like pretentious or bohemian.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:12 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,035,579 times
Quote:
There are plenty around the Heights. Heights is pretty small, so the boundaries are pretty close by. Anywhere in the Heights, you are likely less than 1 mile away from a good bar. White Oak and Studemont have some good places. You can also try out "Dry Creek" in the heights. It's BYOB and very chill. I think it's off Yale. Cedar Creek is also in the Heights area off 19th/20th.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,642,267 times
Quote:
Jimmys ice house, christians tailgate, a couple others near white oak, tall texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston