Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
The US Census now has a multiracial category. The approach recommended by the Office of Management and Budget is for the person to self-identify their race. So if you are admitted to a hospital, you should be asked which race you consider yourself to be, regardless of what you look like to the clerk handling the interview. Because it is a matter of self identity. Yes, some people will say American because they don't like the concept of identifying people by their race. Race is not a good biological marker, however it serves as a good proxy for health status, disease outcomes, and some risk behaviors. Income status is also a good proxy indicator.

Researchers look at race to help identify any discrepancies in how people are treated, such as whether they received recommended treatments, or whether they seek timely treatment, etc... This affects disease risk and also health outcomes. So it IS very important. Of course, the increasing numbers of people that identify as multi race adds more complexity to the picture. Other identifiers which help researchers to understand risks and outcomes include place of birth, place where you've lived longest, educational attainment, and income. These characteristics have impact not just on your health behaviors and beliefs, but also how others treat you sometimes.
You are making sense so you need to stop it RIGHT NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,488 times
What's new? Everyone claims they're 'mixed' these days

Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I know is a bit controversial but I was wondering how mixed race folks in Houston are handling this? Do they pick a side?

My kids are half European and half Asian and I sometime wonder how are they going handle their race, heritage and diversity in this great city of ours. Please read the article bellow which sparked my interest in the first place. And lastly please keep a positive and constructive tone. This is not a test, is just curiosity and an opportunity to grow even more diverse

Do mixed race people have to pick a side?
I'm mixed race and the answer is NO.

The only thing is that people try to decide for us. Our prominent features usually make them assume we are just this or that. But who cares...

I proudly own both my heritages, if asked I answer, and if it interests me I would quickly correct someone for assuming I'm just this or that. Who really cares... pick a side? Come on...

Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM

588 posts, read 956,854 times
Default People are people, plain and simple

I know my statement seems naive in today's society, but in my eyes, individuals should not be judged based on skin color. I know this is just my opinion because, even in 2012, racism/prejudice/stereotyping still exists. In addition, I've always wondered why people who are biracial have to choose a side, denying one parent, rejecting one side of themselves. I just think it's kind of sad. Not judging, though

Old 06-15-2012, 04:27 PM

I've never heard that it depended on the race of the father, just that it depended on what the person looked like. If he/she has darker skin or curly hair, African-American. Blond hair and blue eyes? Caucasian
But I've always wondered why biracial individuals have to even pick a side? Not judging at all, but wouldn't they want to embrace both?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:28 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times
that's life unfortunately...blacks suffer the worst at the end of the day as you'll see every race not named caucasian consider it an honor to marry white inter-racially but if they marry black, it's frowned upon

hispanics who look white will usually gravitate towards white and only use their last name for political or EEOC reasons..if the kid grows up in a white environment, they usually take on white characteristics...that Cruz politician fits the bill

same with blacks, if they don't look "mixed" or take on the darker gene....they'll gravitate towards white eventually and if they marry white, the black gene is wiped out...

that's life unfortunately

Old 06-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Oops! I accidentally posted two comments, thinking the first one was deleted. Obviously this is my first time blogging/posting

Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
What if a half black half white child comes out just as light as the white parent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Big boned or small boned?
LMAO, almost spit my beer on my screen.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:44 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
On school demographic reporting, mixed race is now an option. It wasn't until recently

Old 06-15-2012, 07:45 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPEP09 View Post
my son already gets asked "what he is"...and he answers american.
he knows knows his mom is mexican and dad vietnamese but he wants to be only american. that's fine by me.
That's cool, but American is not a race. Unlike popular belief, American isn't white.

We are a nation of different races and ethnicities, and our nationality of being American is what we all have in common.

I think it's important to teach our children their heritage and culture. It's in their DNA. It's what make you unique and special.

My child will learn about his Grandparent's homelands, culture, music, food, customs and history. Being "American" is a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: