Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 61,060 times

Advertisements

I have several questions about Pearland.

I am about to buy a house but found out the seller does not have a WPI-8 certificate. I have several options.
A) Don't buy the house
B) Get insurance and get a WPI-8 certifcate withinn 60 days otherwise get dropped by insurance carrier.
C) Get insurance without the certificate from another carrier and pay a much higher premium.

Of course I don't like option C and I can't find anyone willing to do an inspection since the home was built some years ago. As a result Option B is not feasible.

1) Does anyone know an engineer who does WPI-8 inspections on homes already built in Pearland?

2) Does all homes in Pearland and Brazoria County require windstorm insurance?

3) What builders are currently building homes in Pearland?

4) Does Pearland/288 flood a lot?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,755 times
What exactly is preventing the WPI certificate to be issued? Is it an older or custom home?

1) Does anyone know an engineer who does WPI-8 inspections on homes already built in Pearland? Sorry, I don't know any. Although you can probably check with different structural engineers and they could refer you.

2) Does all homes in Pearland and Brazoria County require windstorm insurance? Yes. Since it's a coastal county, it can be underwritten by TWIA or an independent insurance company. It's only required because your lender requires it. Otherwise you can go without it, not recommended though. Non-coastal counties have windstorm coverage, but it's usually built into the policy itself.

3) What builders are currently building homes in Pearland? There are many, many builders. What price range were you interested in?

4) Does Pearland/288 flood a lot? No, the area is not known to flood. Particularly the newer areas. You can never be to safe though, get flood insurance if you are unsure.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,248 times
Just because the seller doesn't have the certificate, it doesn't mean the house was not inspected. Try searching for it by address at the state's WPI-8 website, at this link:

https://apps.tdi.state.tx.us/windstormsearch/start.jsp

Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 PM

208 posts, read 552,177 times
[quote=RM69;18103146]I have several questions about Pearland.

I am about to buy a house but found out the seller does not have a WPI-8 certificate. I have several options.
A) Don't buy the house
B) Get insurance and get a WPI-8 certifcate withinn 60 days otherwise get dropped by insurance carrier.
C) Get insurance without the certificate from another carrier and pay a much higher premium.

Of course I don't like option C and I can't find anyone willing to do an inspection since the home was built some years ago. As a result Option B is not feasible.

1) Does anyone know an engineer who does WPI-8 inspections on homes already built in Pearland?

2) Does all homes in Pearland and Brazoria County require windstorm insurance?

Is that a requirement for the seller to have a WPI-8 certificate? How old is the home?

Old 03-02-2011, 06:04 PM

201 posts, read 914,518 times
To me, that's a pretty big deal. Without the certificate, it's going to cost you more to own the home, and it may be more difficult to sell because the next buyer will be faced with the same issue, if they're aware of the effect of the certificate.

Will the Texas Windstorm Association even insure a recent home without the certificate?

If it were me, I wouldn't buy the house until you figure out the insurance situation, including the exact cost.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 AM

4 posts, read 61,060 times
Thanks everyone for the responses. I just found out the homebuilder has the certificate so I have been told that all I need is for an engineer to sign off it. The inspection was done but it was never filed with the TDI.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 11,650 times
I know its a late post, but we ran into the same problem a while back. we ended up going through a different insurance carrier for both wind and home and saved money without needing the wpi-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston