Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 AM

913 posts, read 4,326,828 times

Advertisements

I want to cut a middleman and buy it direct from owner(s). How do I do that?
- is there a local regulation allowing to buy/sell/trade firearms person to person?
- is there personal classifieds for that? forum? internet store?
- how does one change hands legally?

As to the new firearms, I figured, that these days it is cheaper to buy it from an internet store. What web store you would advise for Glocks and 9x19 ammo? Is it true that ammo prices steadily go up?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 AM

108 posts, read 482,876 times
Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com

I have bought several guns from that site. It operates just like Ebay. Once you buy a gun you will have to find a local business with an FFL (Federal Firearms License) to have the gun shipped to. MOST pawn shops have an FFL and will handle the gun transfer and do the paperwork for typically 20-50$.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM

460 posts, read 2,419,601 times
The previous answer already alerted you that unless you buy directly from another individual in a private transaction, you need to go through an FFL. If you buy directly from the manufacturer or distributor, you'll need to provide the contact info of the FFL for shipment. The manufacturer or distributer may need to have a copy of the FFL's license before they ship.

Private sales on the other hand are not governed by federal law and don't require the same documentation. But beware and careful: you don't want to end up with a "hot" gun or one that was used in a crime.

http://www.lcav.org/content/private_sales.pdf (I used this reference only because it's a concise summary of the law, not because I endorse this website)

As to the price of ammo, it doesn't always go up. It's subject to the law of supply and demand like any other product. It has a raw materials component cost, meaning when copper prices rise the cost of brass casings and copper jacketed bullets also rise. Likewise, when the military is using a lot of ammo, there is little manufacturing capacity left over and prices rise. But when military shipments fall off, spare capacity increases and prices fall. Unlike firearms, ammo can be bought online and shipped to your home, but the shipper may require you to fax a copy of your DL before they send the ammo, just to make sure who you are. I remember once telling my boss that I had a couple of cases of .223 on my front porch and had to go home to put them away before some kids got into them. That got quite a reaction as he was from Britain.

Likewise ammo and firearms prices rise and fall due to changing political winds.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,763,051 times
Buy online mate and that is how you cut the middle man. Keep an eye on this forum and you will see all kind of GREAT deals: Firearms & Ammunition Deals

As for a local FFL most of the ones we have in houston got really expensive charging about $80-$95 a transaction, to receive your gun or rifle, verify you and then hand it to you. Well no more. I found this guy in SouthWest Geek Firearms at 281-217-6751 who does it for $20 and he is FFL certified. I bough a lot of stuff through him and he is an awesome guy.

I usually save 30-40% by buying online. I go test what I wanna buy at the gun shows and then get online and buy it. I hope this helps mate...

Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 AM

913 posts, read 4,326,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Buy online mate and that is how you cut the middle man. Keep an eye on this forum and you will see all kind of GREAT deals: Firearms & Ammunition Deals

As for a local FFL most of the ones we have in houston got really expensive charging about $80-$95 a transaction, to receive your gun or rifle, verify you and then hand it to you. Well no more. I found this guy in SouthWest Geek Firearms at 281-217-6751 who does it for $20 and he is FFL certified. I bough a lot of stuff through him and he is an awesome guy.

I usually save 30-40% by buying online. I go test what I wanna buy at the gun shows and then get online and buy it. I hope this helps mate...
OK. Thanks a lot for a good tip.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 AM

53 posts, read 207,214 times
gunbroker.com

or

Tomball Pawn (friendly and good prices)

Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,651,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
I want to cut a middleman and buy it direct from owner(s). How do I do that?
- is there a local regulation allowing to buy/sell/trade firearms person to person?
- is there personal classifieds for that? forum? internet store?
- how does one change hands legally?

As to the new firearms, I figured, that these days it is cheaper to buy it from an internet store. What web store you would advise for Glocks and 9x19 ammo? Is it true that ammo prices steadily go up?
Thanks.
For a new firearm, Bud's Gun Shop is the way to go. Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop. Great prices and service.

For the FFL transfer, I use Martini Hardware. He charges $20 and is easy to deal with. 7145 Lawndale Street Houston, TX 77023-4298 - (713) 926-7466

Old 03-04-2011, 10:58 AM

1,982 posts, read 3,475,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post

Wow, $80-$95 for the transfer?? That seems excessive. Last time I did one was like $25.

I've used Bud's before when buying new, they seem pretty good.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,417,688 times
Tomball Pawn is one of the most fairly priced gun shops I've ever been to. They do carry pre-owned firearms, but you have to keep checking because they don't keep them in stock long.

Their new inventory is well priced as well.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 AM

799 posts, read 2,431,567 times
+1 for Tomball Pawn. Great place. Not a very big store, but my lord they sell a lot of guns, and for good reason.

Most other local shops are horrible in comparison. Tell us exactly where you are, and we can refer a close cheap ffl. I use a cop that has a home based ffl, and does transfers for $20 in the copperfield area. There is a new shop on 1960 that does them for $15.

Glocks are so popular, they are commodities. Buy them at a gun show, for sure. Buy the time you pay $20 shipping, and $20 FFL, you are better off buying at a local gun show. The ones at George R Brown are vastly superior to Pasadena/Conroe.

Info is everywhere, so "stealing" a gun by cutting out the middleman is beyond rare, especially on Glocks. You may find some old guy that doesnt know that his Beretta Cheetah is pretty sought after nowadays, but everybody knows exactly what a gen 2 G17 is worth.

If you check one pawn shop once a week, about once a year, you will "steal" a gun. Add up all that time you spent, and you'd be better off buying it in another manner. I do it because I enjoy the hunt, as do thousands of other guys, so its not an original idea.

Ammo, again, its a commodity. Wal mart, period. ammunitiontogo.com for stuff that wal mart doesnt carry.

For a fun experience, take the drive out to Independence Firearms, outside brenham. AMAZING store, tons of inventory. Very fair prices. But Tomball Pawn is closer, and basically provides a great service for gun guys in the greater Houston area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston