U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 10,132 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I are looking for a home close to the medical center and are finding a LARGE range of prices. I'm worried mostly about my safety and is looking for a nice and safe area to live that fits our budget.

We're looking for a home 2000+ sq ft, 3 bedroom+, and 2.5+ bathrooms for around $200k. Most of the homes inside the loop is $500k+ but we found some homes on Southmore Blvd and 288 that fits our budget. Does anyone know if this area dangerous?

Anyone know a good site where I can go to check the crime rates on that specific street or nearby areas? I've been able to find crime rates for an entire zip code, but that's not really helpful, it's too broad.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 AM

7,033 posts, read 10,161,564 times
Check Out Willow Meadows Willowbend & Westbury just outside the loop on the south west side you can get a nice home for $350K or less about 6 to 8 miles away from the med center

Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 AM

53 posts, read 184,053 times
Crime option

City of Houston My City - Recent Crime

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM

8,322 posts, read 28,257,751 times
Southmore @ 288 is on the very edge of the 'hood.

288 is basically "the track" and from one side to the other is like night & day.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 PM

145 posts, read 355,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon012 View Post
My fiancée and I are looking for a home close to the medical center and are finding a LARGE range of prices. I'm worried mostly about my safety and is looking for a nice and safe area to live that fits our budget.

We're looking for a home 2000+ sq ft, 3 bedroom+, and 2.5+ bathrooms for around $200k. Most of the homes inside the loop is $500k+ but we found some homes on Southmore Blvd and 288 that fits our budget. Does anyone know if this area dangerous?

Anyone know a good site where I can go to check the crime rates on that specific street or nearby areas? I've been able to find crime rates for an entire zip code, but that's not really helpful, it's too broad.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
You will not find anything even close to what you are describing within your price range inside the loop, so you should put that idea out of your head and get more realistic. Westbury and Willowbend would be your best bets around $200,000 but not too far from the medical center. These neighborhoods are just outside of the loop. The public schools there are not very good, though.

Pearland is the closest suburb that will meet all of your criteria and give you access to better schools. A lot of medical center employees who would also prefer to stay inside the loop wind up in Pearland because it is just much more affordable.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM

124 posts, read 286,876 times
Westbury and Willowbend have great public elementary and middle school options. Red, Parker, Johnston, and Pin Oak are good schools.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 PM

145 posts, read 355,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIS_Gordon View Post
Westbury and Willowbend have great public elementary and middle school options. Red, Parker, Johnston, and Pin Oak are good schools.
It looks as though the stats for those schools have come up a bit since we checked out that area a few years ago, but they are still not considered to be among the very best that HISD has to offer (save Pin Oak, which I think is by application). But you are right, I would be OK sending my kids there. The high school, though, was a deal breaker for us. Pearland ISD is still going to offer a superior option for parents looking K-12.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Check Out Willow Meadows Willowbend & Westbury just outside the loop on the south west side you can get a nice home for $350K or less about 6 to 8 miles away from the med center
Will check them out, but I have a feeling I won't find anything. Usually these areas have a very small turn over rate and if anyone is selling, it's gone before we know it! Thanks for the input though, it is much appreciated and will truly help our hunt!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crye View Post
Thank you very much for these links!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Southmore @ 288 is on the very edge of the 'hood.

288 is basically "the track" and from one side to the other is like night & day.
Ya, I had a feeling. I'm pretty sure the house I saw was on the "wrong" side of the tracks, lol, but it's soooo close to the medical center!! blah Thanks for taking the time to let me know though, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
You will not find anything even close to what you are describing within your price range inside the loop, so you should put that idea out of your head and get more realistic. Westbury and Willowbend would be your best bets around $200,000 but not too far from the medical center. These neighborhoods are just outside of the loop. The public schools there are not very good, though.

Pearland is the closest suburb that will meet all of your criteria and give you access to better schools. A lot of medical center employees who would also prefer to stay inside the loop wind up in Pearland because it is just much more affordable.
Well, I knew we couldn't afford anything in the loop, hence my comment about everything in the loop was $500k+. I was hoping for suggestions on safest areas I can get closest to the medical center in my price range... Right now it seems the closest we can get with our price range and "good safety" is Katy.

I was hoping there was some diamonds in the rough areas that we wouldn't otherwise know about unless someone pointed at it for us =/ Alot of the areas around the medical center seem high in crime rates =/

Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM

124 posts, read 286,876 times
Safety is always a concern with this kind of decision. If you have a look at the crime stats you'll see that willowbend and westbury have a very low crime rate inside of the actual neighborhoods. The surrounding apartments can be crime hotspots, but overall the area is what I would consider "safe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston