U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 PM

9,053 posts, read 16,176,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
Stay away from Missouri City. It's not as safe or as nice as some would like you to believe. Pearland is also losing it's appeal IMO as is Katy.

Sugar Land, Copperfield, El Lago, Bunker Hill and New Territory are the better areas of Houston.
There are sketchy areas in Missouri City and Pearland - as there are in all areas of town (and probably in all areas of ALL towns in the US). There are also very nice areas.

I just had a client tell me they did not want the Cinco area (basically, almost anything below I-10) because they did not want to have their kids grow up in a sheltered area. You are saying that same area is questionable. Hmmm. However, it is too far for the OP - as is Copperfield.

How did places like The Woodlands, West U, etc. not make your better area list?

Riverstone is NOT near a ghetto area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 PM

469 posts, read 1,029,614 times
Highway 6 north of the Fort Bend Tollway is the nicer part of Missouri City. You want to stay away from anything around McHard or Fondren and anything north of Carthwright on 1092.

Sienna Plantation, Riverstone, First Colony, Qual Valley, and Lake Colony are all very nice communities in the area.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 8,720,693 times
Quote:
Definitely a difference once you cross Austin Parkway. Anyone can see and feel the difference between the two areas. Riverstone is nice but surrounded by ghetto garbage. I think anything south of Austin Parkway & Highway 6 starts to feel sketchy. Anything north of Austin Parkway is lovely.
Riverstone is surrounded by ghetto garbage? Really? Could you please elaborate?

Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 PM

363 posts, read 496,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Riverstone is surrounded by ghetto garbage? Really? Could you please elaborate?
Have you seen that WalMart and Target off of Highway 6? yuck.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:01 PM

145 posts, read 366,504 times
Quote:
Have you seen that WalMart and Target off of Highway 6? yuck.
If the Missouri City Target and Wal Mart fit your definition of ghetto, then I suggest that you scurry back to the little bubble that you came from ASAP. At best, your comments are inadvertantly offensive to anyone who lives in that area. But if your postings reflect your true personality, then it is clear that you are just a self-important snob who doesn't let your own ignorance prevent you from sharing your petty, obnoxious and uninformed comments with everyone. Enough already.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,342,556 times
Quote:
Definitely a difference once you cross Austin Parkway. Anyone can see and feel the difference between the two areas. Riverstone is nice but surrounded by ghetto garbage. I think anything south of Austin Parkway & Highway 6 starts to feel sketchy. Anything north of Austin Parkway is lovely.
You've got to be kidding!...

Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,100,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaJoe View Post
Hi there,
I am looking for employment at TMC and need to know which of Houston's suburbs to move to. I have an eight year old and do not mind commuting for a max of 30min. Katy seems to be too far away from the med center. I would also love to keep my child in a Christian private school. Sugarland seems appealing, but I am not sure. Please please please help me.
Of the suburbs, Pearland and then Sugar Land are the closest. But I personally think Sugar Land is nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
Parts of First Colony are in Missouri City and are indistinguishable from the Sugar Land sections right across the street.
While this is true, the tax rate in Missouri City is higher, but more importantly, you really have to watch the school zoning. North of Hwy 6, FBISD has a few of the Missouri City sections of First Colony zoned to the much less desirable schools east of FM 1092, instead of the First Colony area schools. And they've tried to move more First Colony areas into that eastern zone, but the parents protested. Even if you don't have kids, the school zoning can affect property values. Also, apparently the service is less in Missouri City as there have been issues on that side with the city not helping on the tree root/sidewalk problem.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:25 PM

34 posts, read 102,706 times
I live in Missouri City. Parts are great and parts are sketchy. It's pretty well defined though, you'll know it's sketchy by the price of the house, and for sure if you go see it. Subdivisions like Lake Olympia, Riverstone, Sienna, are great. I feel safer living in Missouri City than Sugar Land, that's for sure.

For proximety, Pearland is a straight shot up 288, while from Missouri City you can take hwy 90 most of the way. From Sugar Land you can go 59 to 90 and into town and the Med Ctr, but it will take a little longer. Katy will be way too far.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:49 PM

174 posts, read 378,999 times
For newer houses you can look at Telfair and Riverstone. Telfair has very nice lakes and trails in the community and have easy access to 59, Hwy 6 and 90. Riverstone has easy access to Hwy 6 and Fort bend toll way, both are very good community

Old 03-18-2011, 02:40 PM

41 posts, read 117,487 times
I would also take into consideration the county you would live in. Sugar Land is in Ft. Bend Co. and Pearland is in Brazoria Co. Different counties = different services and taxes. I live in Brazoria county and Ft. Bend county seems nicer overall, but more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>