U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM

41 posts, read 118,004 times

Advertisements

Also, Brazoria County government is very conservative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 04:49 PM

10 posts, read 23,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLizardo View Post
Why commute if you can work and live in the same community?
I have worked for small or "satellite" hospitals and honestly prefer to work for a large metropolitan teaching hospital as long as I don't have to drive longer than 30min. The only problem I have with working in big hospitals is that they are usually located in huge cities, and I think I am better off raising my child in a smaller town. Sugar Land (thanks for correcting me) seems to be a nice place, but what is the driving distance from there to the med center if I had to work 12H shifts (7a-7p/7p-7a)?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Hard to tell which place would be best for you because you didn't say much about what you are seeking. Houston suburbs are more alike than different, so you could likely be happy in any of them within reasonable commuting distance. The time of day you go to work makes a huge difference. I have friends working at the Med Center who think their commute from Sugar Land is a breeze because they never do it during rush hour. My commute, during the worst rush hour times, is not so good.
My commute time needs to be a max of 30 min. I prefer to live close to the highways/interstate for easy drive to work. I want to live in an affordable suburb with good private CHRISTIAN schools and low crime rates.

I work non-conventional hours 7a-7p or 7p-7a. So I will be at work either at 0630 AM or PM.

I have no clue what rush hour there is like, but I don't have that problem here. I currently work nights; so I leave for work when most normal people are returning home.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:10 PM

I would love to live in the Cinco area....just wish it were close to the med center

Old 03-18-2011, 05:16 PM

I just had a client tell me they did not want the Cinco area (basically, almost anything below I-10) because they did not want to have their kids grow up in a sheltered area.

Riverstone is NOT near a ghetto area.[/quote]

I would love to live in a "Cinco-like" area close to the med center...trouble is...I might not be able to afford that and private schooling for my child with an annual income of about $55,000

Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 PM

4,756 posts, read 13,212,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo C. View Post
I feel safer living in Missouri City than Sugar Land, that's for sure.
Huh? Why would you feel safer in Missouri City than Sugar Land?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:15 PM

145 posts, read 367,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Huh? Why would you feel safer in Missouri City than Sugar Land?
That's a good question! The best parts of both cities are pretty much indistinguishable, while the worst parts of both abut some of the worst areas of Houston. If you feel safer there then good for you, but I don't think that your unsubstantiated implications based upon your feelings are very helpful to someone who is relocating. Just the facts, ma'am!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 PM

145 posts, read 367,844 times
If you stay close to Dulles Ave or the eastern parts of Austin Parkway in either Sugar Land or Missouri City, then you can connect easily with US-90. During the hours you'd be commuting, that's about a 30-35 minute drive door-to-door to the medical center. Based upon your information, I think you would appreciate the amenities that you would find in these communities. Sienna Plantation would be another good choice for you if you don't mind toll roads.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 PM

55 posts, read 98,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo C. View Post
I live in Missouri City. Parts are great and parts are sketchy. It's pretty well defined though, you'll know it's sketchy by the price of the house, and for sure if you go see it. Subdivisions like Lake Olympia, Riverstone, Sienna, are great. I feel safer living in Missouri City than Sugar Land, that's for sure.

For proximety, Pearland is a straight shot up 288, while from Missouri City you can take hwy 90 most of the way. From Sugar Land you can go 59 to 90 and into town and the Med Ctr, but it will take a little longer. Katy will be way too far.
I live very close to the Ft Bend tollway. We are 8 miles to 288 or 8 miles to 59 but of course there are WAY less red lights headed towards 288. It's a nice location if you don't mind hopping on 288 (in non peak hours) or if you don't mind the tollways. I love being able to get to reliant in under 20 minutes.

I'm also 3.5 miles from the "ghetto" Target <----if only this smiley was smacking someone else

Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 AM

34 posts, read 103,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrays View Post
I live very close to the Ft Bend tollway. We are 8 miles to 288 or 8 miles to 59 but of course there are WAY less red lights headed towards 288. It's a nice location if you don't mind hopping on 288 (in non peak hours) or if you don't mind the tollways. I love being able to get to reliant in under 20 minutes.

I'm also 3.5 miles from the "ghetto" Target <----if only this smiley was smacking someone else
Which one is the ghetto Target?? The one at University and 6 is immaculate, if that's what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston