U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 AM

34 posts, read 102,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
That's a good question! The best parts of both cities are pretty much indistinguishable, while the worst parts of both abut some of the worst areas of Houston. If you feel safer there then good for you, but I don't think that your unsubstantiated implications based upon your feelings are very helpful to someone who is relocating. Just the facts, ma'am!
I agree both SL and MC have good and bad parts. SL has a GREAT reputation and gets the publicity, but the north side of the city that borders Houston is constantly in the local paper with home invasions, people getting robbed in their driveways. Granted, the "bad" side of Missouri City is probably equally shady, but the crime stats for Missouri City are very very good.

The reason I feel safer in Missouri City is that it's quite a distance for anyone coming from Houston to cause trouble. Sugar Land, with 59 running right through it, is an easier target for someone to come down 59, commit a crime, and hop back on the freeway in a hurry. To get to Missouri City would be a big hassle for a criminal when there are so many "easier" targets. Businesses in the nice Sweetwater area get targeted often, especially the banks. Even the new Olive Garden in Sugar Land just got robbed, at 4:30 in the afternoon. Sugar Land police release sketch of suspect in Olive Garden robbery | khou.com | KHOU.com Home Page And Sugar Land has First Colony Mall, which is a good mall but is attracting all kinds of thugs, too. We don't deal with this stuff in Missouri City.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 AM

12,679 posts, read 20,263,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo C. View Post
I agree both SL and MC have good and bad parts. SL has a GREAT reputation and gets the publicity, but the north side of the city that borders Houston is constantly in the local paper with home invasions, people getting robbed in their driveways. Granted, the "bad" side of Missouri City is probably equally shady, but the crime stats for Missouri City are very very good.

The reason I feel safer in Missouri City is that it's quite a distance for anyone coming from Houston to cause trouble. Sugar Land, with 59 running right through it, is an easier target for someone to come down 59, commit a crime, and hop back on the freeway in a hurry. To get to Missouri City would be a big hassle for a criminal when there are so many "easier" targets. Businesses in the nice Sweetwater area get targeted often, especially the banks. Even the new Olive Garden in Sugar Land just got robbed, at 4:30 in the afternoon. Sugar Land police release sketch of suspect in Olive Garden robbery | khou.com | KHOU.com Home Page And Sugar Land has First Colony Mall, which is a good mall but is attracting all kinds of thugs, too. We don't deal with this stuff in Missouri City.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 AM

587 posts, read 1,069,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrays View Post
I live very close to the Ft Bend tollway. We are 8 miles to 288 or 8 miles to 59 but of course there are WAY less red lights headed towards 288. It's a nice location if you don't mind hopping on 288 (in non peak hours) or if you don't mind the tollways. I love being able to get to reliant in under 20 minutes.

I'm also 3.5 miles from the "ghetto" Target <----if only this smiley was smacking someone else
I dont think your math adds up...you cant be 8 miles away from hwy 288 and hwy 59, and 3.5 miles from the "ghetto" target on hwy 6/university(I assume)....its 8 miles from the fort bend toll to hwy 288, and six miles from the toll to the "ghetto" target as you call it.....hwy 59 is about 12 miles away from the fort bend toll....but whats a couple of miles?

just curious, what makes that particular target "ghetto"? is it because of all the soccer moms who shop there and drive big gas guzzling suv's or because of all the white collar and medical workers from sienna and riverstone?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 AM

587 posts, read 1,069,267 times
Quote:

crime is everywhere...criminals are going to go to communities where they assume people have money and are easy prey....look at whats going on in shadow creek ranch right now? a home invasion or robbery takes place over there nearly once a week, because the criminal element assumes people who live in those nice expensive homes have money, jewerly or something that can be turned into quick cash...

same thing was happening over off of hwy 6 in sugarland, near Alief....the police broke up that ring of thugs who were targeting asian business owners who were being followed home at night and robbed of their cash....

I wouldnt say Mo City is isolated...didnt some losers do a home invasion at former Houston Texan Dante Robinson's home in Sienna last summer because he left a door unlocked?....

we just have to be more villigant as a community to weed out these thugs and be aware of our surrondings at all times.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
crime is everywhere...criminals are going to go to communities where they assume people have money and are easy prey....look at whats going on in shadow creek ranch right now? a home invasion or robbery takes place over there nearly once a week, because the criminal element assumes people who live in those nice expensive homes have money, jewerly or something that can be turned into quick cash...

same thing was happening over off of hwy 6 in sugarland, near Alief....the police broke up that ring of thugs who were targeting asian business owners who were being followed home at night and robbed of their cash....

I wouldnt say Mo City is isolated...didnt some losers do a home invasion at former Houston Texan Dante Robinson's home in Sienna last summer because he left a door unlocked?....

we just have to be more villigant as a community to weed out these thugs and be aware of our surrondings at all times.
Yep, good point, he did get home invaded in Sienna, I believe. Certainly we are all at risk to some degree. I just feel a little safer where I live than I would closer to 59 after what I've read in the past year going on around First Colony mall and that area. That doesn't stop me from shopping there, it's just a matter of perception. Something could happen tomorrow in my neighborhood and my perception would probably change.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 AM

145 posts, read 366,429 times
Quote:
Yep, good point, he did get home invaded in Sienna, I believe. Certainly we are all at risk to some degree. I just feel a little safer where I live than I would closer to 59 after what I've read in the past year going on around First Colony mall and that area. That doesn't stop me from shopping there, it's just a matter of perception. Something could happen tomorrow in my neighborhood and my perception would probably change.
The patrons of the Denny's on Hwy 6 in Missouri City were robbed in addition to the restuarant itself one night last November. That is much scarier than anything I've heard about the mall, where it's been sporadic thug-on-thug stuff. There was a fatal home invasion in Missouri City in March, 2010 along with numerous other non-fatal ones in the past two years. The Twilight Rapist who terrorized the state was recently arrested at his home in Missouri City.

I don't want to suggest that Missouri City is some cesspool of crime, but it is no safer than Sugar Land. Both cities border bad areas of SW Houston. This whole area looks like one large fruit to to be plucked to the criminal element who heads down here from time to time; city boundaries are irrelevant.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 AM

55 posts, read 98,260 times
Quote:
I dont think your math adds up...you cant be 8 miles away from hwy 288 and hwy 59, and 3.5 miles from the "ghetto" target on hwy 6/university(I assume)....its 8 miles from the fort bend toll to hwy 288, and six miles from the toll to the "ghetto" target as you call it.....hwy 59 is about 12 miles away from the fort bend toll....but whats a couple of miles?

just curious, what makes that particular target "ghetto"? is it because of all the soccer moms who shop there and drive big gas guzzling suv's or because of all the white collar and medical workers from sienna and riverstone?

Read a few pages back, I'm NOT calling it ghetto! Why would I anyways, I'm one of those gas guzzling driving soccer moms

"ghetto" Target is not the one on university since previous poster was referring to the Mo City one.

59 is not 12 miles from ft bend tollway. C'mon over, we can clock it together. It's right around 8 miles I stand by my math, after all I am the one who lives here

Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
The patrons of the Denny's on Hwy 6 in Missouri City were robbed in addition to the restuarant itself one night last November. That is much scarier than anything I've heard about the mall, where it's been sporadic thug-on-thug stuff. There was a fatal home invasion in Missouri City in March, 2010 along with numerous other non-fatal ones in the past two years. The Twilight Rapist who terrorized the state was recently arrested at his home in Missouri City.

I don't want to suggest that Missouri City is some cesspool of crime, but it is no safer than Sugar Land. Both cities border bad areas of SW Houston. This whole area looks like one large fruit to to be plucked to the criminal element who heads down here from time to time; city boundaries are irrelevant.
That's along the lines of what I said originally, both SL and MC have good and bad parts. My reason for feeling safer in MC, at least the part I live in, is that it's a bit of a haul for the criminal element as opposed to SL being right along 59, a quick drive from the Sharpstown area.

Shots have been fired at First Colony Mall on several occasions. (Just google "first colony mall fight".) However as you point out, crime can happen anywhere, such as the Denny's robbery.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 11,762 times
Be sure to check on HOA's....may times they over-step thier intended authority or intended use. Not to mention taxes, borderline developer ethics and City council corruption in several cases.

Sugarland has seen alot of growth, and there's lots of great amenities much like those in Houston. Pearland is almost a straight shot up 288 to TMC, but not as "trendy" as Sugarland. Katy is your quintesential Houston suberb, but is a long commute. The Woodlands are nice, but also quite a distance from TMC.

To be honest, criminals are in all suburbs and the ciminals that live in Houston 'commute' to the suberbs..they know where the money is.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 PM

3,106 posts, read 8,719,157 times
Quote:

Not last summer - 2007. But you're right - we still need to be vigilant as a community no matter where we land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>