Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,837 times

Advertisements

travelguy,

Thank you for your input. As-is with Boston and Montreal, the same common no-no's apply. I was more or less looking for the young professionals scene and trying to get a sense of what neighborhoods are well maintained and have a nightlife within a walk or short taxi ride. I have heard great things about the food selection and it will be interesting to have my first winter without snow or being below zero. It's currently 28 fahrenheit right now!

Any suggestions on places to work in the IT field?

Thank you everyone for your feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 11:54 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,588,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranimal View Post
As-is with Boston and Montreal, the same common no-no's apply. I was more or less looking for the young professionals scene and trying to get a sense of what neighborhoods are well maintained and have a nightlife within a walk or short taxi ride. I have heard great things about the food selection and it will be interesting to have my first winter without snow or being below zero. It's currently 28 fahrenheit right now!
I was looking for walkable when I moved here too and the only walkable neighborhoods are midtown and montrose. I liked the sutton-gillette square neighborhood in midtown. In montrose there are lots of walkable areas. I suggest you do some research and find restaurants, parks, museums, bookstores and other amenities that you think you'll like and when you come for a visit, check those places out. And if there's a high concentration of them in one area look for "for rent" signs, check craigslist and look on har.com for apartments near there. Walkscore.com and yelp.com (yelp is linked to walkscore) were invaluable to me when I first moved here. Also google maps street view was very helpful to check out neighborhoods.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,687,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Assuming that not ethnically diverse = white, I think you'll be ok. The trendy parts of inner Houston geared for mid-20 folks are just as white if not whiter than most suburbs. But don't take my word for it:

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

Simply mouse over the census tracts to see those areas are 70-80% white, a higher percentage than almost all suburban areas recommended in here. It's been said that gentrification is still going forward, so again if my assumption is correct, I think you'll be ok.
Interesting tool.

It looks like for the most part, these dots are grouped together by color anyways.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 PM

18 posts, read 24,906 times
What are you looking for? To lease an house or apartment or to purchase a home? When are you moving? Houston is a great city! Many wonderful places to live in.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM

912 posts, read 2,545,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranimal View Post
A safe neighborhood that is not very ethnically diverse would feel most like home.

Cheers!
Which 'ethnics' are you looking to avoid?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:51 PM

568 posts, read 1,120,989 times
Here we go! LOL

Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,013,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Which 'ethnics' are you looking to avoid?
ALL OF THEM!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:00 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,110,096 times
Vidor

Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,477,017 times
Midtown, Montrose, West U, Med Ctr. These areas are close together and their borders overlap. Midtown and Montrose has more young people and vibrant night life, but West U and Med Ctr is safer, or at least seems safer.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 AM

912 posts, read 2,545,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
ALL OF THEM!
If the OP wants to avoid all ethnic groups then he might do better going and living on an island somewhere in the pacific or better yet just going and drowning himself in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston