Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,986 times

Advertisements

I am completely lost and need your advice.
I am from Salt Lake City, not sure if you are familiar with it. I have been here for 15 years and need to mix it up a little bit. I am moving to Houston and don't know where to move. I have never been out of SLC since I moved there when I was younger. I am now 28 years old. I am going to be working in and office on Fairmont Pkwy in Pasadena. In reading comments about where to live, Pasadena is not on the favorite places list lol. I'd like to be somewhere that is nice and clean, safe since I am a young single female and possibly walking distance to some hiking trails or some kind of night life. Someone suggested closer to Downtown so I would be driving away from the traffic. IDK... Any Suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
zip 77006 midtown/montrose areas

Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
I think a lot of folks in Houston are familiar with the playoff battles between the Jazz and the Rockets from the 90s

Fairmont Parkway actually encompasses the nicer part of Pasadena. That is not a bad place to live. There are some trails there, but probably not the scale you are hoping for. Still, it is a pleasant area to live (a little boring that's all). Also consider Deer Park or northern Clear Lake area. Both are close to your office.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,986 times
LOL. I am still pulling my hair when the Jazz and Houston play Would you say the traffic is horrible if I moved to Midtown/Montrose area?

Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
You might also look south to the Clear Lake - NASA area.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
The commute from mid-town to Fairmont is not a particularly good one. Simply put, there is no direct route. About 26 miles via the quickest route which includes a toll road and is a bit round about.

I would second Daniel Wayne in the north Clear Lake area. Clear Lake attracts alot of young professionals and the Kemah Boardwalk area has plenty of nightlife. Deer Park is also safe but is more family oriented.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM

567 posts, read 1,622,134 times
What Oildog said.

I go to SLC every year for World Superbike races - typically in May. I like going there - very beautiful scenery (mountains and stuff), but the downtown SLC has a strange vibe to it.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:27 PM

30 posts, read 85,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweete View Post
LOL. I am still pulling my hair when the Jazz and Houston play Would you say the traffic is horrible if I moved to Midtown/Montrose area?
What specifically concerns you about safety? When I think clean and safe, Midtown/Montrose wouldn't be a place I'd recommend. What kind of night life are you looking for?

Old 03-14-2011, 08:32 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
What - midtown to Fairmont 26 miles and includes tolls? It is a straight shot up 45 and it about 20 miles total w/o tolls. Not sure what the reverse commute would be like - mornings would probably be okay but the ride home would be a grind. Clear Lake is a good, safe area for a single woman but commute time might work out to be about the same from either location -- it might feel like less traffic but you'd be stopping at red lights etc.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:59 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
What - midtown to Fairmont 26 miles and includes tolls? It is a straight shot up 45 and it about 20 miles total w/o tolls. Not sure what the reverse commute would be like - mornings would probably be okay but the ride home would be a grind. Clear Lake is a good, safe area for a single woman but commute time might work out to be about the same from either location -- it might feel like less traffic but you'd be stopping at red lights etc.
I mentioned the quickest route, not the most direct one. There are numerous lights on Fairmont between 45 and Beltway 8 (and beyond) that are pretty miserable and make for a slow, annoying commute. Of course it depends where on Fairmont the OP would be working. The commute from Clear Lake to Fairmont (and Beltway 8) is not as bad coming straight up Space Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston