U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 12:11 AM

711 posts, read 1,741,995 times

Advertisements

Do they give you new registration stickers on the spot if you renew in person? If you can get new stickers on the spot, do only the main tax offices give you them or can any renewal station, like the grocery store ones, give you new stickers?

Also, I note my vehicle registration notice doesn't contain an instruction to get an emissions test or inspection, or to send proof of same with my form and fees. I still need the inspection, right, but does that mean I don't need an emissions test (= cheaper)?

Last edited by randian; 03-15-2011 at 12:39 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 AM

20 posts, read 54,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Do they give you new registration stickers on the spot if you renew in person? If you can get new stickers on the spot, do only the main tax offices give you them or can any renewal station, like the grocery store ones, give you new stickers?

Also, I note my vehicle registration notice doesn't contain an instruction to get an emissions test or inspection, or to send proof of same with my form and fees. I still need the inspection, right, but does that mean I don't need an emissions test (= cheaper)?
Registration stickers are given to you on the spot. You can purchase them at either the various tax offices throughout Harris County or one of the participating grocery stores throughout the city. You just need the paperwork Harris County gave you and proof of insurance.

As far as state inspection stickers, you will need to have your emission tested as long as the car is registered in Harris County or the surrounding counties. So yes, you will need to pay the $39.50 for the inspection, which includes the emission testing. Proof of insurance is also required for state inspection.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 AM

10,091 posts, read 39,889,040 times
Your smog inspection would depend on the year of the car. If it is fairly new, it would have 2 yr. sticker on it. Any older and it would need to be smogged.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 AM

711 posts, read 1,741,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texans_fan View Post
Registration stickers are given to you on the spot. You can purchase them at either the various tax offices throughout Harris County or one of the participating grocery stores throughout the city.
That's great. Kroger is a lot closer to me than any of the tax offices. In some places I've been, you can renew at satellite offices like grocery stores, but the grocery stores don't have stickers on hand, only the main government offices do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texans_fan View Post
As far as state inspection stickers, you will need to have your emission tested as long as the car is registered in Harris County or the surrounding counties. So yes, you will need to pay the $39.50 for the inspection, which includes the emission testing.
Bummer.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM

4,246 posts, read 11,288,986 times
Only older cars get smogged. Newer cars (around '98) get hooked up to a computer only.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 AM

5,122 posts, read 5,896,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post

Just to be clear, state vehicle registration, handled by the counties, doesn't involve emission control, or any other physical car feature. It's simply registering your vehicle in the state.

State inspection stickers handle the physical part of a car; ie, is it safe to be on the streets. It can include everything from emissions to headlights to brakes and more. Check this link for more details.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM

322 posts, read 660,133 times
I hope not a t/j, but can I renew my registrations in Harris County (where I live) although the car was first registered in a different county when I first moved here? (Tarrant.)

I sure hope I don't have to go back up to some courthouse in Fort Worth about all that.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: