Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 AM

7,532 posts, read 11,507,153 times

Advertisements

Timmy Chans is cheap crappy food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,527,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trod77 View Post
Has anyone, that have recently moved from the NY/NJ area, found a chinese restaurant that tastes like back home?

The Chinese food in Houston isn't bad, but it does taste different than the ones back home.
Try 888 at 403 Winkler. It's a good approximation.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Timmy Chans is cheap crappy food
Actually, it's more expensive than its NY/NJ hole-in-the-wall counterpart. I'll agree about the subpar assessment, though. It tastes like American Chinese food cooked by people who aren't familiar with Chinese cooking techniques. I think they use Uncle Ben's for their fried rice.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:38 PM

14 posts, read 39,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
I was going to say, no offense but NY/NJ "chinese" food isn't authenticate.
I never said NY/NJ chinese food was authentic. ALL I am saying is that it's different here. The menu items are exactly the same, but everything tastes and looks different. That's why I was asking people who have moved here recently from the east coast...

Even the egg rolls here are completely different.

AGAIN, I'm not saying it's not good, it's just different. And I'm not looking for authentic Chinese food, I'm just looking for a restaurant that has that NY/NJ seasoning/flavor to it.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:47 PM

14 posts, read 39,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Kam's on Montrose

im really curious if i am missing out of NE chinese food.
I've been to Kam's, been too Auntie Chang's Dumpling House, China Bear, Panda Garden, Chopstix, and so on... Auntie Chang's has been so far my favorite, but still doesn't taste like NY/NJ Chinese.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 PM

958 posts, read 2,560,511 times
Quote:
I never said NY/NJ chinese food was authentic. ALL I am saying is that it's different here. The menu items are exactly the same, but everything tastes and looks different. That's why I was asking people who have moved here recently from the east coast...

Even the egg rolls here are completely different.

AGAIN, I'm not saying it's not good, it's just different. And I'm not looking for authentic Chinese food, I'm just looking for a restaurant that has that NY/NJ seasoning/flavor to it.
If you can't find one maybe open one yourself Serious here.

Maybe you got a good business with a demand out there.

Heck I think I would want to try it.

Timmy Chan does suck btw

Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 PM

30 posts, read 84,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Try 888 at 403 Winkler. It's a good approximation.
Stick with the normal menu though. The chinese menu is very authentic. The owners moved here from NY.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,569,578 times
Quote:
Has anyone, that have recently moved from the NY/NJ area, found a chinese restaurant that tastes like back home?

The Chinese food in Houston isn't bad, but it does taste different than the ones back home.
That's a tough one. I've been here for 4 years and still have not found my favorite chinese pork buns fresh out of the oven. Back in the NE I used to eat steamed spare ribs over rice almost everyday. It was that good for me
I think the issue with the food here is that they're by vietnamese cooks and using southern veggies. However, you may want to try Tien Tien(or was it Tan tan) on Bellaire blvd near Corporate dr. Or Fung's kitchen, which is I believe to be 100% chinese

Old 03-17-2011, 12:07 PM

363 posts, read 553,111 times
Finding a good "Garden East" or "Victoria Hunan Express" won't be available here. I've tried several places where the food doesn't taste as good. I'd pretty much give up. I'm not fond of the Mexican restaurants here either, Cal-Mex is far superior.

Houston has other fabulous tastes such as BBQ, Persian and Southern eats that's mind blowing delicious.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
That's a tough one. I've been here for 4 years and still have not found my favorite chinese pork buns fresh out of the oven. Back in the NE I used to eat steamed spare ribs over rice almost everyday. It was that good for me
I think any menu item where "steamed" and "spare ribs" go together would be considered authentic Chinese food, as would "pork buns". NJ/NY Chinese is Chinese American fare like General Tso's Chicken or Sesame Chicken, neither of which is known in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston