Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,939,206 times

Advertisements

Going form Houston to Atlanta, take out the boxy skyscrapers and add more shapes like cylinders and such and decrease the density of the buildings being in close proximity to one another and make them a bit shorter and add spires to the top of some of them. Get an NHL team, and then pursue onwards to go from a NBA centric city to a MLB centric city.

Multiply the Asian population by 2.5 X, and divide the Latin American population by 7 X, then multiply the African American population by 1.5 X, and then divide the Caucasian population by 2.2 X. After that add in steeper hills than that of Austin, with some more seasons year round which includes winter.

Get rid of the massive land boundary and make Houston less dense altogether, and then for the sprawl instead of singular reach out, put concentrations and patches of sprawl connected by an arterial road. Subtract the coastline and the port and any form of Cajun or creole or even merchant or fishermen culture that exists. Take out the palm trees and add in more pine trees. Get rid of the Asiatown, get rid of the larger Chinatown and leave the smaller one, get rid of the Little Saigon, get rid of the Little India, get rid of the Persian Haven off Richmond & Fondren. Get rid of the Mejico Barrios, and the Salvadoran Barrios. Then multiple the Koreatown Houston has by 4 X, and make it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye (Koreatown looks horrendously ugly!).

Take out the Texan flairs and add in a bit more Southern flair to where the cup is nearly all full with Southern and no ounce of Texan left. After that, get rid of the Medical Center, Space Center, & anything else only exclusive to Houston. Move the Galveston Biomax Laboratory into the city, and make keep the shell that is bomb proof and then rename it to "CDC West". After that, Houston's Texas Medical Center taken out, Houston still has other formidable medical centers the size of Atlanta's and just as many so that will have to do. Add in some more beautiful pine trees which look stunning in Atlanta, and add in some hills (rolling hills all over).

Also get rid of any Marine Biology majors in any of the schools. Rice University can correlate and translate into a rival for Emory since they rank about the exact same with advantage to Rice. But now take Texas Tech University from Lubbock, put it in Houston, multiply its academic greatness by 5 X and you get an equivalent to Georgia Tech. Also get rid of University of Houston.

Add in a formidable media industry, and get rid of the retractable roof stadiums and put in open air stadiums either way. Make Midtown taller, add in skyscrapers in Midtown.

There is the best recipe for Houston becoming Atlanta, in my personal opinion. I may have left some things out, but yeah.

Also note: For some reason I think its much easier going from Houston to Dallas, haha.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
You forgot to add the corny rap artists to Houston. Take away Texas Southern and Prairie View and make Rice University into an HBCU. LOL!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Going form Houston to Atlanta, take out the boxy skyscrapers and add more shapes like cylinders and such and decrease the density of the buildings being in close proximity to one another and make them a bit shorter and add spires to the top of some of them. Get an NHL team, and then pursue onwards to go from a NBA centric city to a MLB centric city.

Multiply the Asian population by 2.5 X, and divide the Latin American population by 7 X, then multiply the African American population by 1.5 X, and then divide the Caucasian population by 2.2 X. After that add in steeper hills than that of Austin, with some more seasons year round which includes winter.

Get rid of the massive land boundary and make Houston less dense altogether, and then for the sprawl instead of singular reach out, put concentrations and patches of sprawl connected by an arterial road. Subtract the coastline and the port and any form of Cajun or creole or even merchant or fishermen culture that exists. Take out the palm trees and add in more pine trees. Get rid of the Asiatown, get rid of the larger Chinatown and leave the smaller one, get rid of the Little Saigon, get rid of the Little India, get rid of the Persian Haven off Richmond & Fondren. Get rid of the Mejico Barrios, and the Salvadoran Barrios. Then multiple the Koreatown Houston has by 4 X, and make it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye (Koreatown looks horrendously ugly!).

Take out the Texan flairs and add in a bit more Southern flair to where the cup is nearly all full with Southern and no ounce of Texan left. After that, get rid of the Medical Center, Space Center, & anything else only exclusive to Houston. Move the Galveston Biomax Laboratory into the city, and make keep the shell that is bomb proof and then rename it to "CDC West". After that, Houston's Texas Medical Center taken out, Houston still has other formidable medical centers the size of Atlanta's and just as many so that will have to do. Add in some more beautiful pine trees which look stunning in Atlanta, and add in some hills (rolling hills all over).

Also get rid of any Marine Biology majors in any of the schools. Rice University can correlate and translate into a rival for Emory since they rank about the exact same with advantage to Rice. But now take Texas Tech University from Lubbock, put it in Houston, multiply its academic greatness by 5 X and you get an equivalent to Georgia Tech. Also get rid of University of Houston.

Add in a formidable media industry, and get rid of the retractable roof stadiums and put in open air stadiums either way. Make Midtown taller, add in skyscrapers in Midtown.

There is the best recipe for Houston becoming Atlanta, in my personal opinion. I may have left some things out, but yeah.

Also note: For some reason I think its much easier going from Houston to Dallas, haha.
There you have it, just a few things and they begin to resemble each other.

That brings me back to the OP.

Houston is similar to LA and NOLA period, after that you can find similarities between Houston and the moon. It happens.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,779,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
no, they are very similar
I agree, their crime rates are very similar.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,779,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post

Now does someone want to take a stab at tranforming Houston into LA? I bet the thread would double in size, LOL

Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,803,857 times
He's somewhat on point, but many of those things are rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things. We're basically splitting hairs now.

I'll put it like this: comparing Houston and Atlanta is like comparing UGK and Outkast. Two different styles and different subject matter, but still comparable in so many ways.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,939,206 times
Houston to Atlanta Continued:

I left out a few things.

Economically get rid of Houston's niche industry which is energy, get rid of aeronautics, and get rid of manufacturing. Add in Media, a state capital and government, and decrease the the corporate base by 3 X. Also get rid of Hobby Airport (Atlanta only has one airport) and then multiply the passenger traffic by 2 X and then move Continental back to Houston. Diversify Houston's economy and do it by 2 X, to get to 93.7% of economic diversity scale rather than 82.4%.

After all that, you'll get an Atlanta out of Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Now does someone want to take a stab at tranforming Houston into LA? I bet the thread would double in size, LOL
Yeah I'll do that in just a bit. Luckily I know Los Angeles better than Atlanta so I can go straight off memory on this haha.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
There you have it, just a few things and they begin to resemble each other.

That brings me back to the OP.

Houston is similar to LA and NOLA period, after that you can find similarities between Houston and the moon. It happens.
Htown, you make my day! I just love your sense of humor!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,803,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
That's the thing, tho. With a Houston-LA comparison, you have to add on soo much more. It's not even worth it with two cities that aren't on the same level. Houston and Atlanta atleast start on the same template and are on the same playing field.

People can claim all they want that Houston is as comparable or more comparable to LA than Atlanta, but it simply is not. Period.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 PM

I think Houston and DFW are way more similar though. Even the houses look the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston