Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
Texas has almost zero beauty for a tourist. You could invest billions and Houston would still be as ugly as it gets.
OK, we'll be sure to add this to the "don't give a damn" box. Thank you for your response.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:18 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yes; if only we had the amazing economy that Florida has with its white sand and pretty water. Texas sacrifices beauty for money and progression.
Yeah this tool has a hardon for Miami for whatever reason..

I have family there that wants out and says it's like a 3rd world country and it's often voted as one of the most miserable places to live because of the cost of living, lack of jobs, and language barriers but hey, whatever floats his boat.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
@Algreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s056tSc0zz8

This video has an LA vibe, but I agree that people are reaching with the Houston and LA comparison. They maybe alike and I've heard it plenty of times before ,but not moreso than the similarity between Houston and Dallas.
I've seen that video several times, and I get no such LA vibe. What I get is a diverse, laidback, Sunbelt metro vibe. The same kind I get from Atlanta.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Houston's video gives it more a "Down Home" and a "Deep South" mixed with a vibrant LA and Florida feel.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM

91 posts, read 152,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The refuge of last resort for posters that can't defend their ideas on their own merits is to resort to personal attacks. Classy Htown, real classy.

Htown is by far the biggest homer on this board. It is pathetic when someone is so delusional. Rather than accept the truth that Texas lags in higher education you just rant and rave about Houston this & Houston that and Houston... Houston... Houston... Houston...

Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Ok! Stay on topic, PLEASE!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout2009 View Post
Rather than accept the truth that Texas lags in higher education.
I'm pretty sure A&M, UT, and Rice are some of the best colleges in the country. Obviously not on par with schools like Harvard and Yale but still some of the best.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Ok. I see many disagreements. Honestly, what I get out of Houston is that it has similarities of LA (many Angeleno's have said this) and Houston is where LA was at in the 1950s as far as built environment and feel. LA was a laid back type of city as well but it became a monster as time passed. Houston is going down the same road.

There are some similarities to Miami, Atlanta, and Dallas. Many similarities inside the loop to New Orleans and outside to Baton Rouge and the rest of Southern Louisiana and the rest of the Gulf Coast. That's why I love the comparison with Tampa/St.Pete and Orlando. That's a good one and as one that has spent time in that part of Florida, I can actually see that.

Virtually none of Alabama, Mississippi, or Hawaii in Houston. In regards to Dallas though. I still think the feel and look of the city is different than Houston. Houston feels more coastal and gulf coast Southern with a Mexican Twist. Dallas is more Mid-South like Memphis to Northern Louisiana with a Southwestern, small Great Plains Midwestern, and a Mexican Twist as well. I do not think the housing stocks are all that similar. They look different and are built differently.

These are my experiences as I have been to many of these places several times.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok. I see many disagreements. Honestly, what I get out of Houston is that it has similarities of LA (many Angeleno's have said this) and Houston is where LA was at in the 1950s as far as built environment and feel. LA was a laid back type of city as well but it became a monster as time passed. Houston is going down the same road.

There are some similarities to Miami, Atlanta, and Dallas. Many similarities inside the loop to New Orleans. I love the comparison with Tampa/St.Pete and Orlando. That's a good one and as one that has spent time in that part of Florida, I can actually see that.

Virtually none of Alabama, Mississippi, or Hawaii in Houston. In regards to Dallas though. I still think the feel and look of the city is different than Houston. Houston feels more coastal and gulf coast Southern with a Mexican Twist. Dallas is more Mid-South like Memphis to Northern Louisiana with a Southwestern, small Great Plains Midwestern, and a Mexican Twist as well. I do not think the housing stocks are all that similar. They look different and are built differently.
No, I would say Houston has learned form LA's mistakes & is following the path of more urban cities such as New York & Chicago. Urban infill in the inner loop is a prime example of that.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 PM

Are there any pictures of Clear Lake. Everytime I see the word CLEAR LAKE, I think of Florida for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston