Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
No, I would say Houston has learned form LA's mistakes & is following the path of more urban cities such as New York & Chicago. Urban infill in the inner loop is a prime example of that.
They are learning from LA's mistakes but at the same time, they keep making the same mistakes.. Not building a proper mass transit system. Continuing to build out instead of in while at the same time increasing density inside it's core. Downtown is still somewhat dead, and still continuing to build more freeways after freeways.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
It's not just about the trees. Houston and Atlanta are both Sunbelt cities, southern culture, strip malls, glorified suburban shopping districts/edge cities, humid weather, giant cockroaches, mega churches, libertarian atmosphere, gas guzzling vehicles, etc...hell, even right down to the similar accents. HOU and ATL are practically distant siblings. One went off to the Civil War and now works in entertainment, while the other went out to Mexico and got into the oil industry.

Take it from someone who's spent a significant amount of time in both cities spending time with family and friends. The two towns are so similar it ain't even funny.
I can agree with the Southern culture and humid weather. But the rest of your post is also what LA has. Sunbelt city, strip malls, glorified suburban districts/edge cities, giant coackroaches, megachurches and they have many, gas guzzling vehicles, and a libertarian atmosphere. LA is not like San Francisco. It's not as liberal as many believe but still solidly democratic. I also do not agree that Houston and Atlanta have similar accents. I don't think Houston has a similar accent to any city. Now LA is much more vibrant, expensive, diverse, faster in pace, etc. than these two cities. But I think Houston and LA share many characteristics just like Atlanta shares many characteristics with Northeastern cities in particular Washington DC.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can agree with the Southern culture and humid weather. But the rest of your post is also what LA has. Sunbelt city, strip malls, glorified suburban districts/edge cities, giant coackroaches, megachurches and they have many, gas guzzling vehicles, and a libertarian atmosphere. LA is not like San Francisco. It's not as liberal as many believe but still solidly democratic. I also do not agree that Houston and Atlanta have similar accents. I don't think Houston has a similar accent to any city. Now LA is much more vibrant, expensive, diverse, faster in pace, etc. than these two cities. But I think Houston and LA share many characteristics just like Atlanta shares many characteristics with Northeastern cities in particular Washington DC.
Elaborate.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
They are learning from LA's mistakes but at the same time, they keep making the same mistakes.. Not building a proper mass transit system. Continuing to build out instead of in while at the same time increasing density inside it's core. Downtown is still somewhat dead, and still continuing to build more freeways after freeways.
Houston has to build out. Not everyone wants to live in an urban environment. Even cities in the Northeast sprawl & have suburbs. Hell, cities in Asia that have traditionally been urban for centuries are starting to follow America's path & building sterile suburban single family homes just like you would find here. Its quite shocking really.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Okay....

1. Los Angeles has COUNTLESS "glorified" and modern entertainment and shopping districts around the metro. They aren't confined to one area GENERALLY like in Houston and Atlanta

2. I've never heard of LA having those huge southern flying roaches that you find in Texas and Georgia. They thrive in humid conditions. Speaking of which, the climate and vegetation in HOU and ATL are far more alike than LA.

3. Mega-churches do exist in SoCal, but they are not of the Bible belt, Protestant, evangelical culture that is in the south...LA might be "libertarian", but not for the same reasons as Houston and Atlanta. Two cities that are surrounded by a sea of Southern Christian conservatism.

4. The accent discussion is a dead horse topic, and sometimes winds up as a parade of hood videos. I'm not going down that road again lol. All I can say is that as a native Southeasterner raised in Texas, I know what I know. YMMV

5. As far as Houston having no elements of what you'll find in Alabama, you simply cannot tell me that areas like North Forest or even Humble are not like any place in the southeast (save for the topography). I'm sorry, but there's simply no way around it.

6. Finally, I just want to clarify that I am in no way saying Houston has NO similarities to Los Angeles, but more than Atlanta? Absolutely not. But I honestly don't know how I could make it any more plain for y'all. You either comprehend, or you don't.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Are there any pictures of Clear Lake. Everytime I see the word CLEAR LAKE, I think of Florida for some reason.
I dunno...Google or Flickr it. I'm sure you'll find quite a bit.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Elaborate.
I don't think Houston sounds similar to any city. I can tell the difference between a Houston accent and an Atlanta one. They aren't the same to me. Houston is a mixture of many different accents rolled into one because many different people settled in and around Houston over the course of history. Atlanta's speech is more lazier than Houston's. They cut off the words far more frequently than you will get in Houston. In Houston, the speech is more drawn out and they nearly pronounce the word in it's entirety. You won't get that in Atlanta.

Last edited by Spade; 03-22-2011 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Let me add on to this.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Okay....

1. Los Angeles has COUNTLESS "glorified" and modern entertainment and shopping districts around the metro. They aren't confined to one area GENERALLY like in Houston and Atlanta
They aren't generally confined in one area in Houston either. It's just that the galleria is the most popular one. But Houston has them and are currently developing more.

Quote:
2. I've never heard of LA having those huge southern flying roaches that you find in Texas and Georgia. They thrive in humid conditions. Speaking of which, the climate and vegetation in HOU and ATL are far more alike than LA.
I've met many people from LA say they have huge flying roaches and other bugs. Hell, they have huge flying roaches in Chicago and DC. They don't only thrive in humid conditions. They thrive in warm areas.

Quote:
3. Mega-churches do exist in SoCal, but they are not of the Bible belt, Protestant, evangelical culture that is in the south...LA might be "libertarian", but not for the same reasons as Houston and Atlanta. Two cities that are surrounded by a sea of Southern Christian conservatism.
From my experience, it's a mixture in Houston. Meaning that it's Protestant and evangelical culture as well as Catholicism on the other like you have in California. But yes. LA does have many large Protestant evangelical churches. I also rarely hear Houston being in the bible belt. Dallas yeah. Houston rarely.

Quote:
5. As far as Houston having no elements of what you'll find in Alabama, you simply cannot tell me that areas like North Forest or even Humble are not like any place in the southeast (save for the topography). I'm sorry, but there's simply no way around it.
I simply can. As one that has visited Alabama numerous times. I find no similarities between the Houston area and Alabama from the people down to the topography.

Quote:
6. Finally, I just want to clarify that I am in no way saying Houston has NO similarities to Los Angeles, but more than Atlanta? Absolutely not. But I honestly don't know how I could make it any more plain for y'all. You either comprehend, or you don't.
And all I said was that it was my opinion from my experiences. You can either accept them, or you don't. I don't see the similarities between Houston and Atlanta outside of North Houston and I'm not the only one that is saying that. Houston has far more in common with New Orleans and Southern Louisiana than it does with Atlanta. With the changing demographics, it has more in common with LA and Miami than it does with Atlanta.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Nevermind. It'll just have to be left as an agree to disagree issue. All y'all are going to do is twist, tug at, and stretch out facts to turn the argument a different way. Y'all are truly on something else lol.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has to build out. Not everyone wants to live in an urban environment. Even cities in the Northeast sprawl & have suburbs. Hell, cities in Asia that have traditionally been urban for centuries are starting to follow America's path & building sterile suburban single family homes just like you would find here. Its quite shocking really.
Meaning...they are following the mistakes of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston