U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,658 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
Once I'm finished with my schooling, I'll be relocating to Houston, because I believe that there are better opportunities and the cost of living is lower compared to here. However, since I'm not familiar with the area, I was hoping that some locals could offer some insight as to what areas are decent and what not. (please be brutally honest)

I've been checking out the other posts and have been getting a lot of info. I've noticed that numerous people speak highly of Pearland and Sugarland. I did some research on South Houston and Pasadena... not too interested in those. I'm African American (black) but I don't care too much for the "hood". I was wondering if there was any places that were kinda in-between... decent areas that aren't too expensive.

Also, my son attends a private school here (Lutheran). I pay half of the tuition ($250) monthly. I was hoping that someone would have some insight about the private schools in those areas. I would like to be right outside the highway near stores and parks and things like that; areas where there are kids playing and people are quiet.

Of course I won't be moving until I secure a postion in my new career... just needed to know what area would be nice.

Thank you all...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:41 PM

363 posts, read 454,950 times
Stay away from So. Houston and Pasadena, unless you enjoy living in Southgate or Echo Park.

I would persuade you to look in Sugar Land, it's really pretty here. I think you'll love Houston! Especially for African Americans it's incredibly welcoming as opposed to LA that can be harsh towards the black community.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 PM

92 posts, read 211,037 times
How much are studios in the (cheapest)

Old 03-17-2011, 05:18 PM

studios in San Diego?

Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,914,481 times
What's your housing budget like? Are you looking to rent an apartment, rent a house with a yard, buy a house? Houston is a giant city with tons of suburbs, most of which are pretty similar so you'll want to base your housing off of where you end up finding work (otherwise you could end up with a 2 hour commute).

Pearland and Sugarland are both nice, but really no different than Katy, Woodlands, Kingwood, Spring or any of the other areas in Houston -- it really just depends on where you find a job. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 PM

20 posts, read 24,351 times
Houston is a great place to live. Yes, there are more opportunities here and the cost of living is MUCH lower than from where you're coming. You'll definitely get more for your money here. However, that is a very broad question because there are many, many, many areas to consider. In order to narrow things down you have to really think about things like where will you be working (or hoping to work?)How far is too far of a commute? Will you be buying or leasing a home or an apartment? When do you think you'll be moving? Have you ever been to Houston and are you able to come and start driving around some areas to try to get an idea? I think it will be much easier to make a decision once you've secured a job because then you will have a starting point, you know? Sugar land, Pearland... yes, very nice areas but if you secure a job 1- 1-1/2 hours away are you willing to make that drive? What price range are you looking at? We are not at a loss for private schools and churches around here that's for sure. So I think once you have an idea of what area your job will be in that it'll be easier to move forward more clearly and effectively.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:59 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,685,738 times
First, welcome to Houston!

Second, you'll find a warm welcome here. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised here at the racial situation--there isn't much of one. We all just try to like each other and get along. Of course, there are always SOME, somewhere, if you go looking for them....

Third, you really will need to get your job and find out where that's going to be. Houston has no zoning, and everything is everywhere. That's one of our greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses. You have to get used to having a run down, shabby part of town next to millionaires next to nice middle class neighborhoods. It just goes with the turf.

What that means, though, is that you can't possibly select a residence until you know where your workplace is, unless you want to be a slave to your car and the freeway. It's like LA--commute times can be fierce. If you were to decide Sugar Land was perfect for you (it's a great suburb), and land a job in Greenspoint, WOWEE, you're talking an hour under perfect circumstances with no traffic. Whereas, if you had the job in Greenspoint and were living in Atascocita (very nice, up-and-coming area), you'd be home in 10-15 minutes.

There are nice areas and crappy areas all over town. As I said, that's our great strength and great weakness.

We pride ourselves, though, on our friendliness. I think you'll find a warm welcome for you and your son.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 PM

8 posts, read 18,483 times
I'll reiterate what others have said... Houston is a great, diverse place to live with a lower cost of living than many other parts of the USA. Just about every part of Houston has its pockets of "nice" areas and "not so nice" areas. South Houston is closer to the Gulf and Northeast Houston has some beautiful forests.

Your best bet is to find a job and then recruit the help of a Realtor to find the best home near your new workplace. Use them to research schools, demographics, and communities when the time comes. The commute from one side of town to the other could take as long as three hours on a really bad day so living near your new job is a must!

Realtors can help you locate apartments, houses for rent, resale houses, and new construction houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston