Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,085 times

Advertisements

(Long time City-Data follower, but first time poster)

Need some help/advice in the League City area. My wife and I have moved multiple times (my job) during our 10 years being married. We've lived all over the U.S. and are pretty adept at integrating into a new community and making new friends/meeting people.

We've been in League City (South Shore Harbor) for a few months now and while people seem friendly enough (neighbors wave, people on the street smile, etc), we haven't really met anyone---no dinner/party invites, etc. We don't have kids (personal choice) and I understand a number of people live in League City for the schools and family opportunities, surely there must be adult activities/interactions that don't revolve around having kids.

My wife really craves/needs interaction with girlfriends, dinner with other couples, etc and the current situation is really starting to get her down. She keeps in touch with her girlfriends around the country which helps, but not having any friends locally really has her doubting herself. I've been trying to reassure her that she has made friends everywhere we've moved and usually ends up being the center of attention, but that is starting to wear thin since things are so different here.

So...any thoughts from the group? What is the 'key' new people to integrating into League City?

Any suggestions/ideas would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
What age range friends are you looking for. Try joining ABWA - American Businesswomen's Association - the chapter that is located on that side of town. Also get involved in the local charity groups, etc. A lot of women spearhead these things and develop social groups based on the people they meet. Work with the Lunar Rendevous charity group.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:53 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
I agree. Get involved with a charity or interest-specific group. There are all sorts of clubs from folks who like cars to folks who collect rocks. There are also plenty of volunteer organizations like Armand Bayou nature folks. Find something you are interested in and go for it.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,085 times
@texas7: we are in our mid/late 30s.

Thanks for the suggestions...the specifics really help. While the tried and true generic statements are certainly a good place to start, really appreciate the assitance with specific organizations in this locale.

If anyone else has additional suggestions, I'm certainly all ears for as much help as possible.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Try joining a Sunday school at church.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:43 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
The Women Who Wine of Texas believe that when goal oriented, positive thinking dynamic women come together they can have a life changing impact on both their community and the world.

ABWA League City Charter Chapter (http://www.abwa-lccc.org/ - broken link)

Lunar Rendezvous Festival

Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
meetup.com has several interest groups in Clear Lake and LC.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 PM

30 posts, read 85,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB1234 View Post
(Long time City-Data follower, but first time poster)

Need some help/advice in the League City area. My wife and I have moved multiple times (my job) during our 10 years being married. We've lived all over the U.S. and are pretty adept at integrating into a new community and making new friends/meeting people.

We've been in League City (South Shore Harbor) for a few months now and while people seem friendly enough (neighbors wave, people on the street smile, etc), we haven't really met anyone---no dinner/party invites, etc.
Have you and your wife given a dinner party and invited others over? There are lots of swinging couples in Clear Lake. Is this the kind of "adult activities/interactions" that you are seeking?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB1234 View Post
@texas7: we are in our mid/late 30s.

Thanks for the suggestions...the specifics really help. While the tried and true generic statements are certainly a good place to start, really appreciate the assitance with specific organizations in this locale.

If anyone else has additional suggestions, I'm certainly all ears for as much help as possible.

Thanks!
Maybe if you listed some prime interest i.e. sports, nature, etc. someone could be more specific.
There is a very large assortment of organizations, clubs, etc. so it is hard to be specific without a direction to go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: