Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston is mostly like?
Atlanta 2 5.13%
Dallas 9 23.08%
Los Angeles 16 41.03%
Miami 1 2.56%
New Orleans 1 2.56%
ALL OF THE ABOVE 3 7.69%
Other Option (Please state) 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:56 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
So...youre argument is that Dallas feels like Houston, but Houston doesnt feel like Dallas? Absurd.

Youre trying to distance Houston from Dallas and attach it to LA. Its too obvious.
no, I am not. I am saying that Houston has more than just the feel from Dallas, and that LA is a better fit because it has more personalities. You know Houston has a more coastal vibe than Dallas. You know the Sea Port was integral to Houston's growth. You know that we are tied to the hip with the Gulf. Dallas shares more in common with the inland cities like ATL and based a lot of its growth on shipping by land and air, much like ATL.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:57 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Its non- Houstonians like you who drag things to city vs City and give the real Houstonians a bad name.

They are always saying Houston is always comparing itself to other cities, when in fact the bulk of the threads were made by non houstonians like you.
In the city vs. city forum, you get a sense of what people who arent from your city think. Hate to tell you, but anyone not from Houston or Texas will say Houston has more in common with Dallas or Atlanta than LA.

The overwhelming majority of people who make the Houston/LA comparrison are from Houston or at least Texas. Im not saying Houston has doesnt have things in common with LA because it does, but lets not get carried away.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
no, I am not. I am saying that Houston has more than just the feel from Dallas, and that LA is a better fit because it has more personalities. You know Houston has a more coastal vibe than Dallas. You know the Sea Port was integral to Houston's growth. You know that we are tied to the hip with the Gulf. Dallas shares more in common with the inland cities like ATL and based a lot of its growth on shipping by land and air, much like ATL.
But LA's cultre and personality isnt even remotely similar to Houston's. Where LA and Houston have similarities comes from their layout, the fact that they are both port cities, they have palm trees, they have massive freeway, and they are diverse. The culture in Houston and LA are very different.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Haha, I see what you did there!

You made this thread when the two poll choices were "Houston & Los Angeles". Obviously with a poll like that it would have Houston winning the poll because Houston is most like Houston. I remember last night it was 13 to 2, Houston had 13 & Los Angeles had 2.

I can make a thread today too though asking what is Austin more like, Austin or Portland and because of the blunder of the poll choice which stayed all throughout the night to whenever they changed it this afternoon, Austin would win.

Trying to pull a fast one, eh.
Uh, no. It was a typo on my part that the mods already corrected. The poll now has Los Angeles and Atlanta.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Houston & Dallas are the most similar to each other, but they're not the same cities. It's an insult to say they are because it means they don't have identities of their own, I don't get why retard Northeasterners say they're the same. They aren't.

They are the most similar cities to each other however in the entire country. I would say Los Angeles next up though from what I know of Houston as, and then New Orleans, and then Atlanta, and finally and definitely last Miami.
Thank you for injecting some reason into this. I think of Houston as its own place, but of the cities named, I think Houston has most in common with:

1) Dallas
2) Los Angeles/Atlanta
3) New Orleans
4) Miami

in that order.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
did you really have to start another thread. there were two already.
Its non- Houstonians like you who drag things to city vs City and give the real Houstonians a bad name.

They are always saying Houston is always comparing itself to other cities, when in fact the bulk of the threads were made by non houstonians like you.
My thread is basically a spin-off of these. These threads are obviously dominated by Houstonians, so I put it in CVC forum so that we could get a broader spectrum of opinions. Obviously you all have convinced yourselves that I don't know what I'm talking about, so maybe you'll believe posters from elsewhere.

What you all don't understand is that you're magnifying Houston's attributes and attempting to put them on a level playing field with Los Angeles. Most will never admit it, but your admiration for Houston is clouding your thinking. So much so that it isn't PAINFULLY obvious how much Houston and Atlanta are alike.

And how am I giving Houstonians a bad name?

Quote:
So...youre argument is that Dallas feels like Houston, but Houston doesnt feel like Dallas? Absurd.

Youre trying to distance Houston from Dallas and attach it to LA. Its too obvious.
!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Here's another one: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...uston-los.html

It actually has 42 votes. The thing with City-Data is that from what I've noticed (and played apart of) its a trend, that stays for a few days maybe a week or two and if you're lucky a month and then it disappears.

Like I would continuously say Bay Area & DMV are more powerful places than Los Angeles & Chicago, and at my peak I made about 4 threads on it and the poll would all garner positive results (overwhelmingly too). Later on when more posters from California and New York and such joined in, it was inevitable, my case was mostly dis-proven and went to deaf ears and the poll results alternated.

Today people will vote something, tomorrow something else. I just vote so that way I can view the results without having to click "view results" and its easier otherwise I wouldn't be getting involved in that.

I've said this at least a 100 times, I like Houston the way it is, yes I do like how the layout of both Houston & Dallas are like Los Angeles, its baller driving 80 MPH on a wider lane and not worrying about screwing up your car paint job because of narrow figured lanes. I'm glad that Houston & Dallas are both taking after Los Angeles on infrastructure.

Some of the homes in Houston, like the one I live in are similar to Miami & Los Angeles, but its the case everywhere on the coast in the Spanish Belt (The Sunbelts formal name), because the Spanish used to rule this area and they left their style of architecture behind. Houston culturally isn't like Atlanta though, Atlanta to me feels less diverse and integrated and heavily less Latino and Asian. That plays a huge role in both cities we (Asians & Latinos) make up like nearly half of Houston's Metro population and on threads in City-Data we're often forgotten of when it comes to "how Southern are these Southern places" we exist too. And quite frankly its rather annoying how one race continuously speaks for the entire city.

I'm not going to say Texas isn't Southern, even though I don't want it to be because to me Texas is Texas in my opinion. But things are the way they are. I understand for a lot of you being Southern and Texas being Southern means a lot to you, I don't hate the region and I don't hate the culture, I just find regionalism Un-American to be honest because I never see anyone claiming regional pride ever say they're proud to have all 50 states in the country and be American. On City-Data people seem to want to sell their souls to not be affiliated with USA. Kind of makes me sad (see my title under my screen name, haha). To many of you being Southern means your cultural heritage, I can respect that but to us Asians & Hispanics, it doesn't mean anything. We came here for Houston & Texas (or Dallas & Texas) not the South. Just coincidental that the South infinitely has my preference in weather, the entire Sunbelt does for that matter.

Houston isn't culturally Los Angeles, its infrastructure is (so is Dallas's), which is a good thing. These cities are built to handle space and population in a different way and I'm glad on that.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
They are the most similar cities to each other however in the entire country.
Uhh...the Twin Cities? The three C's of Ohio? Tulsa and OKC? There are plenty of cities in the nation more like each other than Houston and Dallas.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
But LA's cultre and personality isnt even remotely similar to Houston's. Where LA and Houston have similarities comes from their layout, the fact that they are both port cities, they have palm trees, they have massive freeway, and they are diverse. The culture in Houston and LA are very different.
It is closer than it is to Dallas, I will tell you that

Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Here's another one: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...uston-los.html

It actually has 42 votes. The thing with City-Data is that from what I've noticed (and played apart of) its a trend, that stays for a few days maybe a week or two and if you're lucky a month and then it disappears.

Like I would continuously say Bay Area & DMV are more powerful places than Los Angeles & Chicago, and at my peak I made about 4 threads on it and the poll would all garner positive results (overwhelmingly too). Later on when more posters from California and New York and such joined in, it was inevitable, my case was mostly dis-proven and went to deaf ears and the poll results alternated.

Today people will vote something, tomorrow something else. I just vote so that way I can view the results without having to click "view results" and its easier otherwise I wouldn't be getting involved in that.

I've said this at least a 100 times, I like Houston the way it is, yes I do like how the layout of both Houston & Dallas are like Los Angeles, its baller driving 80 MPH on a wider lane and not worrying about screwing up your car paint job because of narrow figured lanes. I'm glad that Houston & Dallas are both taking after Los Angeles on infrastructure.

Some of the homes in Houston, like the one I live in are similar to Miami & Los Angeles, but its the case everywhere on the coast in the Spanish Belt (The Sunbelts formal name), because the Spanish used to rule this area and they left their style of architecture behind. Houston culturally isn't like Atlanta though, Atlanta to me feels less diverse and integrated and heavily less Latino and Asian. That plays a huge role in both cities we (Asians & Latinos) make up like nearly half of Houston's Metro population and on threads in City-Data we're often forgotten of when it comes to "how Southern are these Southern places" we exist too. And quite frankly its rather annoying how one race continuously speaks for the entire city.

I'm not going to say Texas isn't Southern, even though I don't want it to be because to me Texas is Texas in my opinion. But things are the way they are. I understand for a lot of you being Southern and Texas being Southern means a lot to you, I don't hate the region and I don't hate the culture, I just find regionalism Un-American to be honest because I never see anyone claiming regional pride ever say they're proud to have all 50 states in the country and be American. On City-Data people seem to want to sell their souls to not be affiliated with USA. Kind of makes me sad (see my title under my screen name, haha). To many of you being Southern means your cultural heritage, I can respect that but to us Asians & Hispanics, it doesn't mean anything. We came here for Houston & Texas (or Dallas & Texas) not the South. Just coincidental that the South infinitely has my preference in weather, the entire Sunbelt does for that matter.

Houston isn't culturally Los Angeles, its infrastructure is (so is Dallas's), which is a good thing. These cities are built to handle space and population in a different way and I'm glad on that.
Well I'm not going to dig into all this nonsense tonight, but..."the Spanish Belt"? So you're making up terms now? I've never heard that before and a Google search turned up nothing. Either way, it's not synonymous with the actual Sunbelt which stretches from California to the Carolinas. And it's irrelevant either way, because Houston does not have the same consistent Latino history that the actual southwest has. That part of
Texas was once Mexico (nothing of that time period remains), but before the Mexican Revolution, Houston was a SOUTHERN city and a cotton city that was black and white.

Like Htown, you seem determined to detach Houston from that which it is to what you want it to be.

The Hispanic population is beginning to skyrocket in some places, so I suppose they'll soon be added to the "Spanish Belt". Afterall, there are areas of the Atlanta metro where Mexicans outnumber blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston