U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2015, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
8,778 posts, read 18,271,536 times
Reputation: 6213

Advertisements

Greater houston metropolitan area
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2015, 07:42 PM
 
15,977 posts, read 21,955,638 times
Reputation: 14063
Houston media call it "NW and SW Houston" because that's where everything happens
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2015, 08:31 PM
 
Location: C.R. K-Tex
6,043 posts, read 10,205,998 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriSwede1 View Post
I have a friend in Austin who calls Houston, the "armpit of Texas". I use, "outskirts of Houston"
Another reason to call it Houstonland. Austin is actually 150 miles from Houston, which makes it part of it's sphere of influence.

Why don't we do the Illinois thing and have 75% of Texans live in Greater Houston? It would create better synergies between industries in Texas and reduce business trips. (No need for that high speed rail to Dallas anymore!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2015, 09:01 PM
 
996 posts, read 1,200,502 times
Reputation: 1305
I still call it the Houston- Galveston area. I can't get into that Houston-Baytown-Sugarland mess.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2015, 10:30 PM
 
15,977 posts, read 21,955,638 times
Reputation: 14063
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriSwede1 View Post
I have a friend in Austin who calls Houston, the "armpit of Texas". I use, "outskirts of Houston"
We could also call Houston "Texas' balls"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Upper Kirby, Houston, TX
1,347 posts, read 1,561,329 times
Reputation: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Houston media call it "NW and SW Houston" because that's where everything happens
This has to be the most annoying ****ing thing.. "Authorities apprehended two juveniles in Northwest Houston today near Antoine Dr. at Victory", and then my friends tell me how my mom is unsafe in her new neighborhood in Cypress where the starting home price points are in the low to mid $300k's and go up above a million, and the same is pretty much true about the new neighborhoods surrounding hers as well. Northwest Houston, aka the heights, or timbergrove, or lazybrook, or Spring Branch, or Acres Homes, or Inwood, or Jersey Village, or Tomball, or Cypress, or Spring, or parts of north Katy, or Bear Creek, or Fairbanks area, or Champions Forest, or Willowbrook, or Klein.. This is absolutely ridiculous. I think you could reasonably include anything north of I-10 and west of I-45 that is inside the beltway or naerby just inside the beltway as NW Houston, but even then it doesn't make sense to give such a broad distinction. There's a reason we have subdivision and neighborhood names, because those names help identify and distinguish an area. In Chicago on the news, they don't state 'NE Chicago' when a crime happens in Lakeview, Wrigleyville, or Uptown even though those neighborhoods all border eachother and whose centers are only a couple of miles away. They state the exact name of the area, so that if the audience doesn't know where the exact cross streets are, they can still get a sense of where the crime actually is. This pisses me off the most about the local news teams.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 09:59 AM
 
34,648 posts, read 18,984,685 times
Reputation: 22176
I call it "that place that keeps expanding toward me".

Actually, I just say Houston metro.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 AM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,839,779 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
This has to be the most annoying ****ing thing.. "Authorities apprehended two juveniles in Northwest Houston today near Antoine Dr. at Victory", and then my friends tell me how my mom is unsafe in her new neighborhood in Cypress where the starting home price points are in the low to mid $300k's and go up above a million, and the same is pretty much true about the new neighborhoods surrounding hers as well. Northwest Houston, aka the heights, or timbergrove, or lazybrook, or Spring Branch, or Acres Homes, or Inwood, or Jersey Village, or Tomball, or Cypress, or Spring, or parts of north Katy, or Bear Creek, or Fairbanks area, or Champions Forest, or Willowbrook, or Klein.. This is absolutely ridiculous. I think you could reasonably include anything north of I-10 and west of I-45 that is inside the beltway or naerby just inside the beltway as NW Houston, but even then it doesn't make sense to give such a broad distinction. There's a reason we have subdivision and neighborhood names, because those names help identify and distinguish an area.

In Chicago on the news, they don't state 'NE Chicago' when a crime happens in Lakeview, Wrigleyville, or Uptown even though those neighborhoods all border eachother and whose centers are only a couple of miles away. They state the exact name of the area, so that if the audience doesn't know where the exact cross streets are, they can still get a sense of where the crime actually is. This pisses me off the most about the local news teams.
Not sure why you say .... pisses you off about news teams? Seems you feel the neighborhood SHOULD NOT BE MENTIONED? Surly people should know if a crime happened in their area? Especially if normally very safe.

Well.. in a Big city where the whole city is broken up into individual neighborhoods and sub-neighborhoods within the Full neighborhood. It is only logical to use the neighborhoods name.

Since you mentioned Lakeview. One of the most desirable neighborhoods north of Downtown. It has Sub-divided neighborhoods most also know by them names. Like Wrigleyville and Boystown. Both actually part of and within Lakeview. In Chicago, you could use its street numbered system of what hundred block north or south and dissecting with what hundred block is east or west.

Houston also adopted this street address numbering system. In Chicago it's 8 blocks to a mile. Chicago also has a full alleyway system behind every block. Where garages and ugly power-lines and poles are. But by Neighborhood name mentioned, is instantly recognized and then streets or near what main intersection.

You may here first mentioned regions. Like in Downtown... Loop, Near North or Streeterville ,New East
West Loop, South Loop and River North and other sub-areas.
Or other general city divisions that are the Broadest before the neighborhoods name.

So With Just Lakeview. It is the North Shore neighborhood- Lakeview (Wrigleyview, Boystown ) if in them sub-neighborhoods then near intersection and street names.

FULL Lakeview neighborhood
https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...d989de96e03a9e

Wrigleyview section of Lakeview.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wr...b86d392b5e42ee

Boystown section of Lakeview.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...2bd256bc3c5933

Houston being much more spread out? Its neighborhood separation might be much more broad also.

I REALIZE THIS IS A HOUSTON THREAD. BUT CLICKING ON NEW POST JUST LOOKING. SEEING CHICAGO MENTION. MY FAVORITE CITY I MERELY COMMENTED ON THAT PART. NOTHING ABOUT A SLIGHT TO HOUSTON. JUST COMPARISONS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Upper Kirby, Houston, TX
1,347 posts, read 1,561,329 times
Reputation: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Not sure why you say .... pisses you off about news teams? Seems you feel the neighborhood SHOULD NOT BE MENTIONED? Surly people should know if a crime happened in their area? Especially if normally very safe.
With all due respect, what in the **** are you even talking about? How did you take from what I said that they should not mention the neighborhood area? I'm stating that they SHOULD mention the neighborhood area, and the reason I'm annoyed at local Houston news is because they never do. They always mention 'Northwest Houston' or something similar instead.

That being said, in response to your other points, Houston does not have as many distinguished neighborhoods as Chicago, and the city is a lot more spread out as well. You don't have these stark boundary lines in the way that Chi does. So even if news team mentioned a region like you described, 'NW Houston' and 'Near North' are completely uncomparable. 'Near North' is a relatively small section of Chicago's lakefront north of the city, whereas 'NW Houston' accompanies roughly a quarter of the entire Houston metro area, which is over 600 square miles. So by just stating 'NW Houston' and sometimes giving cross streets that a lot of people don't know, they are at best not really helping people know whether crime is happening nearby them or not, and at worst are spreading misinformation about other 'NW Houston' areas that are 20-30+ miles away from where the crime is going on.

..and I'm well aware the boundaries of Chicago neighborhoods; I lived there for 3 years in Lakeview.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,839,779 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
With all due respect, what in the **** are you even talking about? How did you take from what I said that they should not mention the neighborhood area? I'm stating that they SHOULD mention the neighborhood area, and the reason I'm annoyed at local Houston news is because they never do. They always mention 'Northwest Houston' or something similar instead.

That being said, in response to your other points, Houston does not have as many distinguished neighborhoods as Chicago, and the city is a lot more spread out as well. You don't have these stark boundary lines in the way that Chi does. So even if news team mentioned a region like you described, 'NW Houston' and 'Near North' are completely uncomparable. 'Near North' is a relatively small section of Chicago's lakefront north of the city, whereas 'NW Houston' accompanies roughly a quarter of the entire Houston metro area, which is over 600 square miles. So by just stating 'NW Houston' and sometimes giving cross streets that a lot of people don't know, they are at best not really helping people know whether crime is happening nearby them or not, and at worst are spreading misinformation about other 'NW Houston' areas that are 20-30+ miles away from where the crime is going on.

..and I'm well aware the boundaries of Chicago neighborhoods; I lived there for 3 years in Lakeview.
Respect needs no superlatives. I hope you do not show Houstonians? Former Chicagoans all have a short fuse.
My apology for a misread in part. But what I posted I stand by.... other then mistaken you meant SHOULD USE neighborhood names, not how I mistook it for NOT TO use names.

I used "Near North" for DOWNTOWN It is A PART AND NEIGHBORHOOD OF DOWNTOWN. Lakeview is not. But I did use CHICAGO'S "NORTH SHORE" for the REGION OF CHICAGO, Lakeview neighborhood is in. I noted the VAST LARGER SCOPE of Houston and its neighborhoods. I did not use SPRAWL as not to offend.

So that was a mistake on my reply... in your part. Chicago's BROAD Splits of regions would be Downtown, North Shore. North Side, Northwest Side, West Side, South Shore, Southside and Southwest side. One could add a couple more. Them the neighborhood splits to further divide.

We need no further replies. I m sure we would be told THIS IS THE HOUSTON FORUM.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top