Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 PM

53 posts, read 208,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny77 View Post
So if I want to refer to Houston and its suburbs and all the areas around it, what is the short way of saying it?
Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 11:28 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,872 times
Houstonland?? Sounds like Houston is copying Chicago's nickname, Chicagoland! How bout just Houston!!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:19 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Home.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:25 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Home.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,396 times
Greater Houston and Houston are the two names that I heard used the most growing up. All of the big telephone books used to say the Greater Houston Area. Houstonland sounds weak and just like TxTwizter said, "like it is copying Chicagoland".

Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,125 times
Or you could call it the Bayou City!

Or Space City USA!

The old "Greater" designation basically doesn't exist any more (it's all MSA's and CSA's now), but as someone above mentioned, when most of us were growing up, that's what was on the front of the phone books, so that's what we call it.

Greater Houston.

It's customary everywhere I've lived/been in the US (EXCEPT DETROIT!) to refer to the nearest major city if you're talking to someone out of town or not familiar with the area.

"Where are you from?"

"Los Angeles" (actually, they're from Glendale).

"Where are you from?"

"Houston" (actually, they're from Conroe)

(I'm originally "from" Malvern, Arkansas, a small town of about 10,000 45 miles south of Little Rock).

"Where are you from?"

"Little Rock"

etc.

Then, when the person says, "Oh, I lived there for years!" you say, "Well, I'm really from Glendale/Conroe/Malvern" etc).

BUT

...ask someone from the Detroit area where they're from and they will NEVER say, "Detroit". It's always "Livonia" or "Novi" or "Grosse Pointe".

Old 03-25-2011, 12:51 PM

594 posts, read 1,249,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post

BUT

...ask someone from the Detroit area where they're from and they will NEVER say, "Detroit". It's always "Livonia" or "Novi" or "Grosse Pointe".

So true. My parents grew up in Detroit (actual Detroit- it was the 1940's) and they FREAK OUT when I tell people they are from "Detroit." But yeah, they really ARE. They aren't from a burb. I mean what do they want me to say?? Yes, I know it didn't used to be so run down but it's still the same place!

Old 03-26-2011, 11:31 AM

64 posts, read 180,657 times
So Greater Houston is prefered over Houston Area??

Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny77 View Post
So Greater Houston is prefered over Houston Area??

No, that's just what many of us call it. There is no "preferred".

If you're preparing a sales brochure or press release or something and want ACCURACY, then call it by its proper name, Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA).

If you're wanting to know what we (who live here) call it (so as to sound more of an "insider" rather than someone from "out of town"), most will simply use "Houston". Those of us who are old enough will say "Greater Houston". Many younger ones will call it "Metro Houston" or "the Houston Metro". "Where are you from?" "Houston". "The population of Greater Houston (or substitute "the Houston Metro Area") is approaching 7 million!"

For a nickname (indicating fondness), either "Bayou City" or "Space City USA", though that one is receding/vanishing. "Maggie, let's load up and head home to the Bayou City!"

It took me a while when I moved to Los Angeles to understand that the radio announcers talking about the "Southland" meant "Southern California". I'm from the actual SOUTH, so when you say "Southland" to me, you mean the southern United States.

Dallas/Ft. Worth (comprised of over 400 cities and towns) has called itself the "Metroplex" ever since Channel 8 Weatherman Troy Dungan called it that in the 70's; it's an amalgam of "metropolitan" and "complex". Dallas and Ft. Worth have feuded for years over whether something was "Dallas" or Ft. Worth"; Ft. Worth was a large, bustling community before Dallas was ever founded, but Dallas came along and did all the right things to grow and became the dominant city; still, both cities maintain their rivalry; if you say "Dallas" when you mean Ft. Worth, the Ft. Worth people get bent out of shape.

Houston has no need for such, because it is one city. If Houston wasn't here, Sugar Land would still be a sugar refinery surrounded by fields and a prison; Katy would be a stop on the railroad for farmers to load produce for the market; Missouri City would be a small farming community (like Conroe), and there'd be no such things as Clear Lake, The Woodlands, or Kingwood, as they are totally manufactured suburbs.

The radio stations used to have little jingles, "Metroplex Week-end WEATHER!" Houston's always just said, "Houston week-end WEATHER!" or sometimes "South Texas Weekend WEATHER!" or "Gulf Coast Weekend WEATHER!" San Antonio also uses "South Texas".

Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
The phrase I absolutely hate is H-town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston