Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,264 times

Advertisements

to approve settlement involving back-pay, legal fees and captaincies. From the Chron:
Quote:
Seven black city firefighters passed over for promotion because they did not score high enough on a written exam will rise to captains' ranks and get cash payments if the Houston City Council approves a lawsuit settlement Wednesday.

Lawyers for the city have negotiated a settlement that offers $301,165.12 in attorneys fees and back pay to Dwight Bazile, Johnny Garrett, Thomas Ward, Mundo Olford, George Runnels, Trevin Hines and Dwight Allen.

Garrett, Ward and Runnell have retired since the lawsuit was filed.

The seven passed exams for captain or senior captain in 2006, but many white firefighters scored higher. Because promotions were awarded to candidates with the highest scores, the seven did not make the cut.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times

"an education anthropologist at the University of Texas said explanations for black-white test score gaps include blacks more often receiving an inferior education than whites and minorities' vulnerability to performance anxiety that stem from stereotypes."

Maybe, just maybe the reason they didn't do well might be because they're dumb and the fact they are all of the same racial background is just a coincidence. I wonder if that reason was considered as well?

Whatever next, compensation for discriminating against idiots?

Old 03-24-2011, 03:54 PM

46 posts, read 119,364 times
It's pretty damn disgusting if you ask me. Entitlement is the only word to describe it.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
The test was biased against these individuals... it had words and everything!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
The beauty of our freedoms. You can sue in this country for whatever reason, white, stupid, black, idiot, you name it... Unfortunately there is tendency for blacks to sue more, like they're still being oppressed or something like that.... Why can't everyone get over and act as equals. Sh*ite I've failed many exams in this country and I just went right back to study and then pass it. Why is so hard?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
The beauty of our freedoms. You can sue in this country for whatever reason, white, stupid, black, idiot, you name it... Unfortunately there is tendency for blacks to sue more, like they're still being oppressed or something like that.... Why can't everyone get over and act as equals. Sh*ite I've failed many exams in this country and I just went right back to study and then pass it. Why is so hard?
You're missing the point. The test was biased against them! It tested things like their ability to read, their understanding of how to handle a situation, and their knowledge of the rules and regulations they have to follow as firemen. I mean, it's painfully clear that The Man designed this test specifically to keep the black firefighters from ever achieving higher ranks! If you saw the test, you'd know that only a white man could score well on it...

Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Really, they can create a test just for the white man? Crap then, I am in trouble. I will never be a fire fighter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
You're missing the point. The test was biased against them! It tested things like their ability to read, their understanding of how to handle a situation, and their knowledge of the rules and regulations they have to follow as firemen. I mean, it's painfully clear that The Man designed this test specifically to keep the black firefighters from ever achieving higher ranks! If you saw the test, you'd know that only a white man could score well on it...

Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
How about showing a little respect for men that are willing to put their lives on the line for citizens. They didn't have to be firefighters, but they chose to be. That ought to mean something to you.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM

75 posts, read 225,772 times
All 7 have taken promotion exams in the past, passed and have been promoted before. A few of them have passed multiple tests and been promoted. One of the 7 even has a master's degree in education and teaches part time at HCC or he did. Now he is Senior Capt and is head of the recruiting office.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownHomes4U View Post
All 7 have taken promotion exams in the past, passed and have been promoted before. A few of them have passed multiple tests and been promoted. One of the 7 even has a master's degree in education and teaches part time at HCC or he did. Now he is Senior Capt and is head of the recruiting office.
So how did they fail the test?

That record makes them screwing money from the city even more shameful.

As for showing respect, I think perhaps, they need to start respecting the city that employs them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: