Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:44 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
WoW! In one case a Judge told the Tow company if they didn't release the car the owner could and most likely would file in his court a claim for Grand Thief Auto against him. Got to love all them LAWS.
... the ol' "Grand Thief Auto" claim. Afterwards, it's fun to play "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
... the ol' "Grand Thief Auto" claim. Afterwards, it's fun to play "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire"
What can I say FACTS are FACTS! Just like beating traffic and red light tickets . Any where, any state ! all it takes is knowledge of your rights.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Is over 100K car and I asked them to use the flat bed to get it there, The idiots refused and they used their standard hooks into anything you could pull a chain behind something, When the car start moving I almost pull my gun out, it was really HORRIBLE with **** being broken left and right .

After several months in court the towing Company paid my 3000 damage and 4000 in legal fees to our sharks/lawyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Sorry bro, but it sounds like you get too much of your self value from your car. May I suggest re-aligning your priorities?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:45 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
WoW! I have been reading all these post on what is right or wrong and I'am glad so many people think every one should follow the law! Well ! the law ( Constitutional law states that no one can demand payment for services that were not contracted for ). SOOO I would suggest in this case you just let the Tow company tow your car off the road , then demand in writing the release the vehicle ( because they don't have a contract with you )Don't sign for anything ! > And when they do not release the car , you take them to small claims court for the value of the vehicle + the cost of the court action . And before you'all start laughing I have done this as have many others and it works . In one case a Judge told the Tow company if they didn't release the car the owner could and most likely would file in his court a claim for Grand Thief Auto against him. Got to love all them LAWS.
I'm not sure if you are full of sh*t or if you're talking about these contracted Tow companies by the City of Houston and you found a loophole.

Regardless, I think most of the posters in this thread feel like this is a good program as it effectively lowers congestion and safely gets stranded motorists off the highways.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I'm not sure if you are full of sh*t or if you're talking about these contracted Tow companies by the City of Houston and you found a loophole.

Regardless, I think most of the posters in this thread feel like this is a good program as it effectively lowers congestion and safely gets stranded motorists off the highways.
Thats why I keep posting this info hoping some will take the time to do the research and as i stated get educated in what your rights are before you have NONE left!!. yea its nice to get the broken car out of the way until you fine out that while they are clearing your way some one else is getting S**d. Hopefully you are not the next one . Just ask your self which law is of the higher authority , Local, State . FEDERAL or "Constitutional"?. Full of S**T? I think not, I drive without registration on my Vehicles or a Drivers lisence all over this country. How ? because I most certainly do know what my rights are ( By Law) . And as I have stated in many of my posting I do follow the laws of the land . PLs read posting by Fighter 1, If you dare. AS to the contract you talk about with the city of Houston? yes as you state they do have a contract with the "CITY" , not you, thats why I say don't sign anything , now they ( The Tow company ) have to send ( By Law ) Bill to the city and they must release the vehicle .

Old 03-26-2011, 07:42 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
You don't get it mate. If I am in the emergency line which sole purpose is to allow cars be pulled over safely and don't interfere with traffic, I then expect to take care of my own towing.
You are ALMOST correct. The shoulders/emerg lane is to pull over, but it's NOT to sit & wait until YOU are ready to move. It's merely to stay out of moving traffic, while you wait for a SafeClear tow. And you think you "don't interfere with traffic"? How many times have you crawled along a freeway, only to get to a stalled car on the shoulder, and then traffic miraculously speeds up?

Quote:
WoW! I have been reading all these post on what is right or wrong and I'am glad so many people think every one should follow the law! Well ! the law ( Constitutional law states that no one can demand payment for services that were not contracted for ). SOOO I would suggest in this case you just let the Tow company tow your car off the road , then demand in writing the release the vehicle ( because they don't have a contract with you )Don't sign for anything ! > And when they do not release the car , you take them to small claims court for the value of the vehicle + the cost of the court action . And before you'all start laughing I have done this as have many others and it works . In one case a Judge told the Tow company if they didn't release the car the owner could and most likely would file in his court a claim for Grand Thief Auto against him. Got to love all them LAWS.
Good for my laugh of the day. I'm not even sure YOU believe yourself, 'cause I guarantee no one else reading this does.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You are ALMOST correct. The shoulders/emerg lane is to pull over, but it's NOT to sit & wait until YOU are ready to move. It's merely to stay out of moving traffic, while you wait for a SafeClear tow. And you think you "don't interfere with traffic"? How many times have you crawled along a freeway, only to get to a stalled car on the shoulder, and then traffic miraculously speeds up?

Good for my laugh of the day. I'm not even sure YOU believe yourself, 'cause I guarantee no one else reading this does.
THanks ! That's what I do daily every time I see a vehicle with a license plate on it and think of how much money the person got coned into paying for the so called privilege ( you have a legal RIGHT to travel) because they don't know what their rights are.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Then I will see them towing vultures and the city police in the court of law. Last I check this was a free country and I have rights and freedom protected by our great constitution.

KNOW your rights guys and just don't bend over and take it without even wondering what your rights are.

Again I had this happen once and guess what, I WON in court against those horrible towing companies. And yes they were contracted by the city of Houston telling me that I have no rights.

Think about it twice when someone is going to flash some law or rule in your face and do stuff against your free will.

Quote:
Actually, you can say "I won't let anyone touch it", but if you try to prevent the SafeClear driver from towing, they will call the police, who will ticket you. Fact.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ I agree with dv1033: "it prevents accidents by getting trained drivers to the scene fast instead of leaving a car lingering while the driver awaits a tow or a relative."
I haven't really made up my mind but Safe Clear has been in effect for six years now and if the statement above is really true then there should be statistics to back it up. Six years is plenty of time to show a drop in accidents attributed to stalled cars.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Safe Clear has been in effect six years. There have been shoulders on freeways since they began being built in the 50's and it wasn't because some clairvoyant engineers foresaw a Safe Clear program coming in 50 years. The shoulders were clearly built so someone could have a place to sit out of traffic while THEY dealt with the problem.

We aren't talking about stalled vehicles IN a lane of traffic or accidents where the vehicle is not drivable. Those have always been subject to non-consent tows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston