U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,517,409 times

Advertisements

I went in my backyard with my yorkies for the first time. And might be the last time. My neighbor behind me has 2 pitbulls. They broke a few pickets and stuck their heads through and were barking like they wanted to eat me and my dogs. The woman was back there with them and didn't think anything was wrong. I didn't say anything cause I was trying to get my dogs in ASAP. I don't mind dogs but holy crap I felt helpless with no protection.

Is there any thing I can do to make my fence pitbull proof? This house was built in 08 and the pickets look like they're 50 years old. Do pitbulls dig? Would it be wise to have someone dig along the fence line and install something a foot or two incase they do?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,124,394 times
1) Get a gun.

2) Wait for the dogs to break through then gun em' down.

3) Sit on your porch with a glass of lemonade.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM

9,053 posts, read 16,323,641 times
Call your HOA and ask them to send a letter to her to have her repair the fence that her animals damaged. She obviously is too stupid to just do it on her own, if she could not understand why it might be of concern to you. I hate that you live close - but it might be worth the money to put up a second fence, next to the old one - to double the protection. As to the digging, ask the fence guy to recommend something. You should be able to enjoy your back yard.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:21 PM

8,819 posts, read 18,831,515 times
I would put up a cyclone fence inside the wood fence - that way if they break through the wood, there is a second barrier.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:10 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,421,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I would put up a cyclone fence inside the wood fence - that way if they break through the wood, there is a second barrier.
Run an electric fence like the one linked below. I put one up to drive off the dozens of semi-feral cats that my psycho cat lady neighbor feeds and it works like a charm. Youtube "electric fence" and you can see what happens when animals touch it. It gives a good enough zap to teach them a life long lesson but does not actual physical harm.

Amazon.com: Fi-Shock SS-725CS AC Powered Light-Duty Electric Fence Energizer 5-Acre Range: Patio, Lawn & Garden

You just need to get wire and post insulators along with a grounding rod. As a firearm enthusiast I agree you should have a weapon, but for safety, liability and legal reasons you want to try everything you can to avoid ever having to discharge a weapon on your property.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 PM

2,538 posts, read 5,225,822 times
Could the electric fence be set high enough to affect the pits but low enough not to kill her little yorkie?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Could the electric fence be set high enough to affect the pits but low enough not to kill her little yorkie?
The charge wouldn't kill the yorkie. It's designed to deliver enough of a shock to a dog or cat that will deter them for life, but will not do harm. This is not the same level of electric fence that a rancher would use to pen in cattle.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,517,409 times
LOL

#1, I'm a guy not a girl.

#2 I like the gun idea and I was already going to get one before this for home protection.

I'm going to get a camera pointed to the fence just incase they break through. I was going to install a doggy door so my yorkies could go potty when they needed but not going to do that no matter what. And bury a foot or 2 in the ground of the chain link fence.

I thought about running another fence and in between the old one I would put either an electric wire or use heavy duty staples that are hammered in and directly put up a chain link fence to the old wooden fence.

Also there was a broken picket that was there when we moved in and the neighbor put up something in front of that picket instead of going to Lowes to buy a 4' wide 6ft high picket to replace it. Seems rather lazy of a thing to do.

Next time I'm back there with my dogs and they attack the fence again I'll go to their house and ask as nicely possible to fix the broken pickets their dogs broke. I would be willing to split the cost of a new fence but I don't expect them or anyone else to say ok in this economy. Their part to my yard is 75'. And has 225 pickets (4" wide 6' high)

My wife said to call the HOA but I told her we should talk to them first. I want to see if they want to do the right thing first.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:40 PM

403 posts, read 1,180,988 times
You're awfully nice to try to work it out with them but since they made no attempt to stop their animals from their aggressive barking, lotsa luck in the cooperation department.

Just watch your back if you go out there and try to do any repair to the pickets. My mom, in her 70's at the time, was standing outside my sister's fence figuring out how to plug a hole dug by the neighbor's dog when their ferocious chow somehow managed to jump to the top of fence and clawed her big time - didn't even warn her with a bark. I also had a run-in with 2 unleashed pit bulls while walking by a front yard with my nephews - owner was non-nonchalant as I was screaming with two terrified babies in my arms ...very, very scary. Never had situations with such aggressive dogs while growing up in Houston and this was before the leash laws.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
LOL

#1, I'm a guy not a girl.

#2 I like the gun idea and I was already going to get one before this for home protection.

I'm going to get a camera pointed to the fence just incase they break through. I was going to install a doggy door so my yorkies could go potty when they needed but not going to do that no matter what. And bury a foot or 2 in the ground of the chain link fence.

I thought about running another fence and in between the old one I would put either an electric wire or use heavy duty staples that are hammered in and directly put up a chain link fence to the old wooden fence.

Also there was a broken picket that was there when we moved in and the neighbor put up something in front of that picket instead of going to Lowes to buy a 4' wide 6ft high picket to replace it. Seems rather lazy of a thing to do.

Next time I'm back there with my dogs and they attack the fence again I'll go to their house and ask as nicely possible to fix the broken pickets their dogs broke. I would be willing to split the cost of a new fence but I don't expect them or anyone else to say ok in this economy. Their part to my yard is 75'. And has 225 pickets (4" wide 6' high)

My wife said to call the HOA but I told her we should talk to them first. I want to see if they want to do the right thing first.
A couple things. One, I get nervous with the mall ninjas here who are gung ho in giving others advice to use firearms. Again, as a gun owner myself, a weapon should be your last resort. If you fire your weapon in your backyard, even if justified, you are facing at a minimum thousands of dollars in attorney fees to see you through if the cops choose to send it to the d.a. That's not including the risk of missing and shooting a neighbor, etc.

With regards to the HOA, I'm on my HOA board. There is little a HOA can do about neighbor to neighbor disputes like this. Simply because an HOA has almost no enforcement power in a case like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: