Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM

52 posts, read 173,548 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I'm a 25 year old single African American male relocating from Ohio and I work as a cna. I have my sites on two areas of town the medical center and galleria. I'd like to know which area is cheaper and safer has more things to do and would be a better choice. I'm moving down without a vehicle. So proximity to a Houston metro stop would be great and also the livliness of an area.any info will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Bro, do not move here without a car. Buttom line you need one to get around. As far as the Gallaria or the Med center. Both are nice areas, but if I had to choose one, I would go with the Med Center. Its close to everything. Herman Park, The Museum District, Rice Village, Rice University, The light rail. Both areas are pricey. As far safety, crime can happend anywhere, you just have to be cautious like you would in any be big city. But overall I would say both areas are "safe."

Old 03-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Your right crime can happen anywhere. And I know moving without a car will make things more difficult but you gotta play with the cards your dealt and it certainly isn't impossible especially if you live near major amenities like a busline downtown or grocery store.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM

209 posts, read 523,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_haze View Post
Hi guys I'm a 25 year old single African American male relocating from Ohio and I work as a cna. I have my sites on two areas of town the medical center and galleria. I'd like to know which area is cheaper and safer has more things to do and would be a better choice. I'm moving down without a vehicle. So proximity to a Houston metro stop would be great and also the livliness of an area.any info will be greatly appreciated.
You say your an African American Male, but the real question is how important is it for you to say close to or near an African-American Community?

Reason why i ask is because many African Americans in Houston (not all, just many) like to stay in some close proximity to a black community. if this is the case, Medical center wins (Close to 3rd Ward) If you are just looking for good amenities, Galleria/Uptown.

if you are inside the loop, you are fine as far as metro goes. Again, id pick Medical center in terms of best transit and accessibility to grocery stores and what not. Theirs a Krogers accessible through light rail south of TMC, a Randalls off main near downtown and a couple of other markets just east of TMC within walking distances depending on where you live.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:56 AM

Thank you hums and both areas seem desirable. I wonder if the TMC would be slightly less congested. I know the inner loop is a good fit for me now the issue is finding out everything else.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
TMC and reconsider the car issue. You will need it.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_haze View Post
Thank you hums and both areas seem desirable. I wonder if the TMC would be slightly less congested. I know the inner loop is a good fit for me now the issue is finding out everything else.
Both areas are extremely congested. But that's the way every business district in Houston is. I've lived Uptown for a few years now and love it. I have a car so transit isn't a issue but there are plenty of bus stops in the area. Like someone said earlier, I would really reconsider the car issue. It's possible to do without one but it's a hassle from what I hear. You really don't have to limit yourself to Uptown and TMC. Upper Kirby District is also a great area for a young professional. You would be sorta in between TMC and Uptown. That's probably what I would do in your situation. Good luck wherever you decide on.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
blue - I can't support enough the folks who tell you to bring a car. If it's not feasible, then you have some serious considerations to make. Where will you be working or going to school? If dt, the TMC is a slam-dunk w/out a car, since you'll have rail access. If not, seriously think about transit. Traffic in both areas is rough, especially at commuting time, so you'll need to calculate how you'll get to where you need to be. Multiple bus changes can be a hassle.

TMC is more a working district, so is more quiet at night than the Galleria, although you can make your way by to Rice Village and Montrose if you're willing to walk. Further, sometimes areas as far south as Old Spanish Trail call themselves "Med Ctr" but they are more remote and pretty residential. As for as amenities alone, I think Uptown/Galleria offers more shopping and nightlife within a more compact area. It is technically "outside the loop" but it is right on the loop - not worth the distinction in my mind.

Hopefully you can come down and take at look at each area before you make your choice. If all you've down is look on-line, I'd look at other areas, as well. Mid-town could be a really good fit as it continues to offer more and more activities and lving options plus it's close to rail.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
If you don't plan to get a car for a while, live in area closest to your job and access to rail, as you'll be going there everyday and it'll make you grumpy if you're having to do 3 bus changes taking 1hr+ each way in pouring rain or extreme heat.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Going without a car is very difficult. You should get a decent hybrid bike [$450], U Lock [$50], and backpack then you can get around easily and grocery often too. Make sure you have nights or a rear blinker if you bike at night, or you could get run over.

Houston's public transit stinks compared to Chicago's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston