Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,822 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I know that taking the defensive driving course will clean up my driving record so that my insurance won't go up. But what will it do to my criminal record? In other words, if I plea no contest and take the course, will there be an entry in my permanent record that I have once committed a class C misdemeanor?

I am trying to decide whether I should hire a lawyer to fight my first-ever speeding ticket. Taking the course has no risk and would save me some money, but I am worried that future employers would prefer an unblemished criminal record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:08 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times
What else does your criminal record consist of?

If you take defensive driving and it gets resolved, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

The great majority of us would be up sh*t creek if a single speeding ticket was a big deal.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkh View Post
Hi all,

I know that taking the defensive driving course will clean up my driving record so that my insurance won't go up. But what will it do to my criminal record? In other words, if I plea no contest and take the course, will there be an entry in my permanent record that I have once committed a class C misdemeanor?

I am trying to decide whether I should hire a lawyer to fight my first-ever speeding ticket. Taking the course has no risk and would save me some money, but I am worried that future employers would prefer an unblemished criminal record.
Just calm down and take a deep breath. It's just a speeding ticket; not the end of the world. A speeding ticket as far as I know shouldn't affect your criminal record; if it did; I'd be America's most wanted!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:43 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkh View Post
Hi all,

Speeding ticket is not a crime. Speeding ticket is a class C misdemeanor, as you stated. You are not a criminal. :-)) You may just get a driving record for 3 years for speeding, that is all. Your insurance will raise only after 2-3 of these, depending on the insurance. It would raise after one speeding only if there is any aggravating curcumstances, like DUI, etc.

The defensive driving course will reduce your insurance 5-10%, depending on an insurance. Every little saving helps.

I would however be paying attention to something else. The defensive driving course is not a punishment. it is a great opportunity to learn things. Seriously. You will become a little safer driver every time you attend defensive driving. Think of it this way.

I went to defensive driving 2 times because I had to. And 2 times voluntarily, because I knew it would help me to be a better driver. Check if your employer would pay for that.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 AM

20 posts, read 52,636 times
Don't forget that you can take defensive driving once every 12 months

Old 07-28-2011, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,409 times
Most road accidents are caused by driver error. To reduce the likelihood of being involved in an accident you need to understand the concept of “defensive driving.” This course will provide you with standard accident-preventing techniques. Some people taka a defensive driving course to escape a moving traffic violation or to get a discount on their car insurance. But the point of a defensive driving course is to reduce the amount of accidents and deaths on our roads.
It teaches you better ways to respond in dangerous situations and conditions. And, because you are better equipped with the skills and knowledge of the latest road laws and regulations, you are confident in your abilities and make better decisions and have better reactions in dangerous situations. Visit defensivedrivingcourseusa.com

Old 07-28-2011, 04:46 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I'm looking as to which course to take as I was recently pinched. No big deal.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I'm looking as to which course to take as I was recently pinched. No big deal.
I always take the comedy defensive driving online. It only lasts 6 hours and you can start, stop, start, stop.... do it at your own leisure.

Ron

Last edited by Oildog; 07-28-2011 at 09:48 AM..

Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,747 times
Preface: Oh boy with all my activity on the red light camera thread I can see the tin-foil hat wearing shill-police coming out of the woodwork after I make this reply. I assure you I don't work for the man.

I would hire none-other than Paul Kubosh, the best damn traffic attorney in the City of Houston, champion of the Constitution.

Ask for a trial by jury. If it isn't dismissed in the first round, take it all the way to trial. Don't give in. No defensive driving, no deferred adjudication, no surrender.

The prosecution will try to intimidate you, claim that the officer is ready to go. Ignore it. Go to trial, and let Kubosh demolish whatever pipsqueak prosecutor they put up against you. It worked for me.

Then when your case is dismissed, revel in your victory against the jack-booted authoritarians. And ponder the ridiculous waste of taxpayers money it is for a speeding ticket to go to trial.

And lastly, if you haven't taken defensive driving before, I'd recommend you do so on your own. It will make you a better driver and get you a discount on your car insurance. Take it for those reasons, not because you were compelled to do so by the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: